Shake the Box CL360/378 - The Hedgehog - Done

Re: Shake the Box CL360

hurco550 said:
You wouldn't happen to know of anyone interested in this 500 ninja swinger that is machined to fit an old cl360? =)

Ha! Come home to Papa, baby! We have some nice primer and pretty black epoxy paint waiting for you! (Or silver/gray if I change my mind before getting the frame ready to paint.)

So.... over a week ago I was on the verge of having a roller. The freshly blasted swinger had a new coat of primer and things were going together. Through a series of events one of the new swing arm roller bearings was ruined. :mad: (Stuff happens.) A bit of quick research and a new one was ordered. In the long run it may be a little better because the originals are 22mm X 28mm X 20mm and since the swinger had to be narrowed a little the bearing AND seal made things tight by one or two mm. I was able to order a 22mm X 28mm X 16mm replacement that's just enough narrower to let that seal cozy in there nicely and have all still fit into the frame. So, all OK, right????

WRONG!

I ordered the bearing and then start following the tracking number. It leaves Annaheim, CA late 6/2 and is in Cleveland early 6/4; excellent!!!! Since then it is STILL in Cleveland!

Finally, this morning I hunted around and found a number to contact the USPS and after the usual recorded nonsense and then being on hold for 20 minutes I get, (Insert Indian accent.) "Thank you for calling the United States Postal Service, my name is Revindra, how can I help you?" Are you kidding me???? Even the Postal Service???? To her credit, she did handle the call very well and I was left w/ some amount of convidence that something will happen. We'll see... (Of course, I have absolutely NOTHING against any citizens of India in general and I wish call center employees in particular the best as they try to earn a living. But past very bad experiences have left me unsure, at best, and most of the time, disappointed.)

Maybe I'll have a roller soon????

So, part two. (Deux for our friends in the Great White North.)

Called the number for the USPS again today and determined their phone system must be set to remember phone numbers because once I got through I didn't have to re-enter the tracking number... something like cookies in a computer memory? Hmmm...

Was assured by another phone support person that someone would call me before the day was out and let me know what's going on. I get the call later and it's from someone at my local PO. Talk about inefficient; I can get someone in India and then here in town but not someone in Cleveland where THEIR tracking system says the problem is, wow! Damn government!

Went to two auto parts stores just to see if I was having a lucky day... one could get it but didn't know how long it would take and the other said they couldn't even get it. I could drive to a couple of larger towns several miles away but don't want to make a special trip... yet. I checked w/ the original seller to see if they could shake the tree a little bit w/ the PO and they offered to send a replacement! Great folks! I promised to "Return To Sender" if I end up w/ two.

Added edit: After getting the new bearing in and installed I continued to wait for the original and then eventually forgot about it. WEEKS later the original showed up at the Post Office. As promised I wrote "Return To Sender" on the envelope and gave it back to the Postal Boys and Girls. A couple weeks later I got a credit to my PayPal account for the one I sent. Good deal, I guess.

Well, something arrived in the mail today... but not the bearing. :mad:

However, it was something pretty good! The Mad Scientist got the new top triple done after making a change that showed up when we tried out the wooden trial piece. At the moment it's just kind of sitting on there, but here it is:

Comments?

Looks great! Any plans on coating it? Or are you leaving it bare?

Looks like you had to throw a little mud on the tank

hurco550 said:
Looks great! Any plans on coating it? Or are you leaving it bare?

Looks like you had to throw a little mud on the tank

Not sure. I like to keep a bike clean, but I'm not into polishing. I'm not thinking about painting it, but would certainly be open to suggestions. I wouldn't mind if all of the aluminum on it pretty much looked the same, though. I'm not sure what's been done to the handlebars and mounts, but if the top, bars, rear sets, and any other aluminum parts all look the same it would be a good thing.

Yeah, the other side has some bondo that'll need touched up a tad. I have to finish sanding it up and shoot on some primer pretty quick.

Looks awesome! I would bead blast it and shoot it with clear, same with the clipons to match. Funny I have a newer ex setup, complete front and rear including shock...

Attachments

• IMG_20150419_132715372.jpg
    IMG_20150419_132715372.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 483

Tune-A-Fish said:
Looks awesome! I would bead blast it and shoot it with clear, same with the clipons to match. Funny I have a newer ex setup, complete front and rear including shock...

Thanx, I was thinking that blasting them might be the way to go. I'm happy w/ the overall results so far. My parts came from an '02 and I think are going to make a pretty good package when it's all done. USD forks were a little too modern-looking for what I'm trying to do, but the EX forks give me lots of rigidity and good brakes and were almost a bolt-on using the All Balls set up. I'll be sticking w/ the 17" EX wheels which I know won't be popular w/ the purists, but I'm too old to give a rat's rear end about what other people think anyway.

ridesolo said:
I'll be sticking w/ the 17" EX wheels which I know won't be popular w/ the purists, but I'm too old to give a rat's rear end about what other people think anyway.

The 17-17 setup with correct tire choice will land you in the same or damn close the stock geometry just a tad closer to the ground with COG and better turn in so fvck em.

[EDIT] might consider looking for a decent used steering damper to take any chance of a head shake away when you come down off those wiggly wheel stands ;)

Wheel stands with a 360??? (Maybe if one of the druggies in town sneaks up and puts Meth into the gas tank!) Only in it's wildest dreams. Now, if I can find a XR500/600 engine to put in there... ;D

The actual wheelbase will be longer because it's a longer swing arm, but everything else is pretty much the same.

It's just a matter of technique as it's pssible to wheelie just about anything.
You may need to be rolling at 120~130mph (Kawasaki GPZ750 turbo, change down twice and pin it ;) ) but front will come up

crazypj said:
It's just a matter of technique as it's pssible to wheelie just about anything.
You may need to be rolling at 120~130mph (Kawasaki GPZ750 turbo, change down twice and pin it ;) ) but front will come up

Thinking about it, if I leave the original Ninja rear sprocket on there it could bring the front wheel up, maybe. Perhaps I could also hire out to pull stumps in first gear and use it as an extremely overweight trials bike, too.

LOL ;D
Should be OK with 17/34, you just have to be around 15~20mph, change from 3rd into second, 'pump' forks and 'up she goes' :eek: (I don't do wheelie or stoppies except by accident ;) )

crazypj said:
LOL ;D
Should be OK with 17/34, you just have to be around 15~20mph, change from 3rd into second, 'pump' forks and 'up she goes' :eek: (I don't do wheelie or stoppies except by accident ;) )

Yeah the plan is for 17/34. The stocker on the rear at the moment is 42, I believe. I'm certainly not going to leave that on there. As for wheelies and stoppies,.. I guess older n wiser are the key words for me. If I can find that XR engine my brain might go into a second childhood... however the brittle and stiff 60 year old bod remains.

Yep, your an 'oldie' I'm still a kid at 58 ;D (and yes, the avatar is my lower back)

crazypj said:
Yep, your an 'oldie' I'm still a kid at 58 ;D (and yes, the avatar is my lower back)

I see titanium parts, but i hope they still move some, fusion is the death of any lower back and the ability to shit a decent turd.

Nope, no movement. L4, L5, S1 all joined up.
Still have to take painkillers multiple times a day, the meds have all sorts of side effects, only one is what you mentioned, another side effect my wife kinda likes but I need to be a lot fitter for 3~4 hr sessions ;)
I've tried reducing doses but it isn't working, hurts too much and I can't sleep (didn't sleep at all last night but I've only been awake about 30hrs ;D )

The replacement bearing arrived today. It was a good choice to choose one 4mm narrower; that allows the seal to seat well and everything fits perfectly into the frame.

So... for now it's a roller. There are going to be a few things to be changed and added when the welder and I get together but I expected that. Rearsets up a couple of inches, front tank mounts slightly relocated, rear tank mount fabricated, pan for electrics under the seat, bracing at the top of the upper shock mount, frame bracing per the crazypj recommendations, etc. Not sure if the attempt to make a hugger rear fender will clear the chain, either. Will continue to mess w/ that idea.

AND no, no plans for Firestone tires, the forks will not be that low; the bars will be below the top triple, and there will be enough clearance at the rear for suspension travel. (Probably other things that are going to kill me will come up over time.)

Anyway, here's what there is now:

Really lookin great my man. I think what you said was right on the money. If you get the tank up where it needs to be and the clip ons under the clamp to get the front end up a bit, that thing will be sweet! I hope you can get that fender notched out for the chain, cut that little booger looks great!

Keep up the good work!

hurco550 said:
Really lookin great my man. I think what you said was right on the money. If you get the tank up where it needs to be and the clip ons under the clamp to get the front end up a bit, that thing will be sweet! I hope you can get that fender notched out for the chain, cut that little booger looks great!

Keep up the good work!

Thanx. I don't know, at the moment it looks kinna ugly to me. I was going tochange over the top triple and bars situation this morning but ended up helping to clean the basement... lots of rain over night, the city must have had a problem somewhere and we had an inch or two of water w/ floating turds! :mad: what a mess! The joys of home ownership!

Back
Top Bottom