"Modern" tire recommendation - '76 CB550

Call Of Doodie

Been Around the Block
I'm thinking about swapping to a modern tread tire on my 550. I'm not all that confident in the Chen Shings that came with the bike, or old style treads in general, and my impression is that a new-type tire would be an improvement overall. I've heard references to Avon Roadriders, Dunlop D404s, etc., and I've seen a few others which are also available in the sizes I need (I'll be sticking to stock sizes).
I understand I'd have to stick to a bias-ply tire, but are there any other caveats I need to be aware of? Other than that, any personal recommendations?
TIA

Any modern tire will work - you just need to run a tube of course.

I like AVON RoadRiders and have them on my XS650 and BMW R75. I've had Pirelli Sport Demons on a CB550 and liked them too.

All comes down to personal preference and where you can get the right size tires for a good price. Stick as close to the stock size tires as you can - they were that size for good reason. Going much bigger on either or both ends just bogs things down and is typically done for looks more than anything else.

There's no point in debating one tire vs. another when you get into the 'name brands'. They're all good. AVON's come in inch-sizes which is nice if you're sticking to stock sizes. BMW Airhead owners are a fickle bunch and some swear there is a difference between a 4 inch and a 100mm tire when it comes to handling. Maybe - I dunno. But I bought the stock inch sizes just to be sure ;)

There might be a difference between the 4" and 100mm tire, but I bet only rossi would know....

Avons are great.
GT501s are great
I think that the 404 are more of a cruiser tire. The BT45s or spitefires work well too.
Really just put any "name brand" tire on it and roll

Thanks, guys.
Somebody also recently mentioned the Conti GO to me, too.
I just looked up the D404s, and you're right surf, it does appear that they're actually designed for the cruiser crowd.
I like the idea of the Bridgestone BT45; I run their BT016 on my old Ducati and love 'em.
I'd definitely want to stick as close to OE size as possible, but I'm guessing that I probably wouldn't be able to tell the difference between inch-sized tires and their closest metric equivalents. ;)

Good to hear that there aren't any real problems going to newer tread designs. I'll slap in some new tubes and be careful with the balancing to help get the best result. Love riding the old girl, but have been pretty conservative so far due to those tires.

Thanks again, and if anybody's got any further advice, please add on here - 8)

I personally run the Bridgestone BT45 and i think they are GREAT! But yea, any "modern" tyre should work just fine.

I have Dunlop D404's on my yet to be ridden on the road CB360. They may be more of a cruiser tire, I didn't know at the time of purchase and local shop didn't advise me one way or another, but these were less dollars than Avons or Bridgestones. These will far outperform the Chen Shin tires that came with the bike so I should be OK. There were some reviews online that these are sticky tires and work even when the road is wet...not that I'm planning on riding in the rain.

Another question here: many tires are listed as "Front" or "Rear", and some even "Front/Rear". Is there really enough of a difference between the construction of a tire made for the front or rear of a lightweight bike like mine, that's seldom ridden (and not nearly as hard as I ride my Ducati when I do!)?
I'm having a tough time finding some of these tires in sizes for both my front and rear. The BT45s, for example, come in the size to fit one end in an "H" rated tire only, and the other end in a "V" rated tire only, BUT the one they list as being for the front comes in sizes that will fit both ends of my bike.
Any input on this aspect of my coming tire investment???

I want to believe that front and rear specific tires are better, but I don't know how much difference would they make over front/rear tire of the same model.

I have the conti gos on my CB550 77. Nice tyre, reasonably priced. Feels like a good modern tyre on the bike and is nice and sticky to the touch (brand new the other day)

The Bridgestone Spitfires have come recommended from more than one source - I took a ride down to Chaparral Motorsports the other day, and they are in stock and come in the correct sizes for both front and rear on my bike. Chaparral can also do a static balance on wire wheels, so that looks like the direction I'm going.
Thanks a lot for the input, guys - I appreciate it!

I know for sure that a 4.00-18 fits perfectly on my Dad's CB450. So i would say it'll fit no prob on yer 550.

I ended up ordering a 100/90-19 for the front and 110/90-18 for the rear. I'm excited to see my finished wheels!

I have dunlops on one of my bikes. I really like the Avons and will be going with them next as they look cooler in my opinion.

Radial Sport Tires are much lighter than a bias ply cruiser tire. Less cetrifugal weight. Avon RoadRider has the best tire to match the stock tire sizes of these bikes IMO. 3.6x19 = 90/90V19 and 4.0x18 = 100/90V18
I havent found anything comprable through BStone or Dunlop..... And Conti is for the leisure rider. I would push or lean on that tire any harder than I had to. Its one thing to save money, but its another to be safe. Ride within your budget.

Back
Top Bottom