130 vs. 120

treitz

Over 1,000 Posts
Ordering new tires for the XS850 build today. Going to go with the Shinko 705's.

Front will be a 110/80-19. Question is... Should we go with a 120/90-17 or the 130/80-17 or the 130/90-17?

Interested in pro's and con's of the 120 vs 130 mainly. From my research it sounds like a 130 might be a little more stable at highway speeds because it's wider, but the 120 might offer better/quicker handling. I've never ridden on tires anywhere close to this large, or bike anywhere near as heavy as this one, so I have no idea what to expect out of tires this size.

Any opinions/input appreciated.

Not sure what the rule-of-thumb is on dual-sports, the target market for the Shinko 705's. If footprint is valued for dirt/gravel then go with the 130. If you're sticking to pavement and want quick snappy handling then stick with stock sizes and perhaps a different tire.

The 705 (love that tire) is rated by Shinko at 70% street and 30% off-road. I've run these tires and they are much better suited to street riding. They dont really do very well in anything rougher than dirt roads. At least not in comparison to something more suited to such surfaces, like a true dual sport tire. That said, they do have a slightly wider footprint than a standard street tire of the same size. Stick with stock amd you'll be a-ok.

Also...

If "quick and snappy" handling is what you're after, than you need a proper street tire. The 705s like any other dual sport type tire arent made for corner carving or track days. ;)

VonYinzer said:
Also...

If "quick and snappy" handling is what you're after, than you need a proper street tire. The 705s like any other dual sport type tire arent made for corner carving or track days. ;)

Haha of course. Definitely not turning this into a race bike. I was more curious as to how much of a difference in handling the width of the tire (120 vs 130) would make.

None really at all. The difference would be negligible given we're talking about a less than 1/2 inch in width difference and likely very little weight difference. You'd feel that difference more on the front wheel. Buy the size that is cheapest.

Depends on the bike. My old GS1150 ran a 130 rear as stock. I put a 140 on it and it handled like a pig.

You can't be sure what affect it will have until you try it because there's many other variables.

So the guys at the shop put the front tire on backwards. Treads are pointing down instead of up. "Smiling" from the front instead of "frowning". Would you have it flipped around, or will the difference be minimal?

The tread is made to work properly in one direction (marked on the sidewall). If it's wrong, it needs to be fixed

The tread pattern orientation is not always the same between brands - you need to check the direction arrow on the sidewall like Von has said.

Direction arrow is opposite what it is now. I assumed switching it around was the right decision... Just heard some mixed opinions. But your thought verify what I was thinking.

I'd have the shop flip the tire to the proper "arrow" direction pronto. Bike tires are important.
Cheers, 50gary

I'd have the shop flip the tire to the proper "arrow" direction pronto. Bike tires are important.
I just checked the discount motorcycle tire site and it show the Shinko 705 front in your size (110/90/19") as a radial tire. The only matching radial for the rear is a 150? The rest are Bias tires. Make sure you have Ft and Rr either bias or radial.
Cheers, 50gary

Back
Top Bottom