Inflatable Motorcycle Jacket

wow I can't wait to NOT wear one of those..... What's next, seat belts?! ::)

before i clicked the link, i was wondering what the chances were that i would wreck in deep water.
i love in the FAQs "if a rider forgets to disconnect the coiled rider and dismantle a motorcycle, will the airbag be activated?"
"....a motorcycle or scooter may topple over if the rider forgets to disconnect the coiled wire before dismounting."

i could see myself forgetting this every time.

If I ever saw someone wearing one of these I would have to ride up and pull there cord.
I would just have to be done...

scattergun said:
If I ever saw someone wearing one of these I would have to ride up and pull there cord.
I would just have to be done...

hahahahahahahahhaha

the tech is still new, but I dont get what all the negativity towards these jackets is about. Its like hockey players calling their fellow players sissies for wearing a face mask. With more refined tech instead of just a pull cord this would be way more attractive to me, but the idea alone is very promising and I think its great that people are out there inventing things to make riding safer for us all.

I'm with go! and folks, apart from how cheesy this looks. I'm into not being paralyzed and shit as much as the next cat, but I can't see myself thinking to pull a ripcord when I'm flying through the air into the back of a silver minivan.

P.S. Silver Minivan, the official car of not going fast enough.

People used to laugh about helmets. I wish I would have had one three months ago...now I'm facing shoulder surgery.

It's a cute idea, but I'm not tearing it up entirely. I really do like the idea, and the pull cord is there so if you get knocked off your bike and go flying, then the airbag will activate itself. No need to pull the cord yourself. It's like safety cord on jetskis and sea-doos. When you get thrown off, the cord disconnects and it shuts sea-doo off.

I read that it says the jacket will deflate after 6 seconds I think after falling.

Im thinking that some sort of sensor could be installed that would know your speed. That way it could know not to inflate when youre simply stepping off the bike. Another sensor could look for violent movement which would override the speed sensor in the case that you got plowed into while at a stop light. I mean there are tons of ways this could evolve and I honestly hope that it does evolve and catch on. I wouldnt feel like a dork wearing one of these but instead Id feel like james bond..

i think saftey is a teriffic idea, but really, how far should we go? imagine your in traffic and something happens that ejects you from your bike. now your rolling around on the road like a turtle. every second counts, and this seems like more stuff in the way. ya, riding, just like hockey is dangerous. if the risk is outside of your comfort zone, simply sell your bike, or dont buy one in the first place. its not a slam on anyone who thinks its too dangerous, just the way it is. and god forbid the thing goes off when your haulin ass down the highway, or about to take a sharp bend! throw on a good brain bucket, a nice jacket, some good boots, and effin' have fun. be careful doin it, but for christs sake, realize and accept the dangers or stay off the road. i dont want to see anyone hurt, but if your not willing to take the chance, than just flat out dont.

VonYinzer said:
i think saftey is a teriffic idea, but really, how far should we go? imagine your in traffic and something happens that ejects you from your bike. now your rolling around on the road like a turtle. every second counts, and this seems like more stuff in the way. ya, riding, just like hockey is dangerous. if the risk is outside of your comfort zone, simply sell your bike, or dont buy one in the first place. its not a slam on anyone who thinks its too dangerous, just the way it is. and god forbid the thing goes off when your haulin ass down the highway, or about to take a sharp bend! throw on a good brain bucket, a nice jacket, some good boots, and effin' have fun. be careful doin it, but for christs sake, realize and accept the dangers or stay off the road. i dont want to see anyone hurt, but if your not willing to take the chance, than just flat out dont.

excellent point
also, i think those co2 things are temperature sensitive. i don't know what kind of pressure they can be under, but imagine that that things explodes.. just a thought.

not sure about the concept really... i mean, crash injuries are almost always abrasion or impact, i don't see how that would do better than good armored gear... i mean, i don't see how an airbag is going to help distribute impact better than an armor plate, and it's not going to help against abrasion... besides, the situation that will kill you either way (wrapping your spine around a tree,post,sign, etc) i don't think it would help

I think the co2 would be a stable energy source, as they have burst disks in the valves that release pressure in case of a rupture or extreme temperature on the tank. I play paintball a lot, and have had co2 tanks rupture on several occasions in the winter, but never any danger to me. However, I doubt I'd put much trust in the thing to function in a place like say...Alaska? I dunno, never been there, but I'm sure it's cold. And +1 to what VonYinzer said. Biking is dangerous, thats just something we have to accept. Maybe one day a good safe jacket will come out, but I don't think this is it....yet?

Mr.E said:
I think the co2 would be a stable energy source, as they have burst disks in the valves that release pressure in case of a rupture or extreme temperature on the tank. I play paintball a lot, and have had co2 tanks rupture on several occasions in the winter, but never any danger to me. However, I doubt I'd put much trust in the thing to function in a place like say...Alaska? I dunno, never been there, but I'm sure it's cold. And +1 to what VonYinzer said. Biking is dangerous, thats just something we have to accept. Maybe one day a good safe jacket will come out, but I don't think this is it....yet?

the more you know! ;D
i also play a lot of paintball, but never anywhere cold enough to have a problem with the co2 tanks rupturing. that reminds me, i need to get my tanks inspected.
i'd say the gear that's currently out there is sufficient, it's more a matter of people not wearing it/ not buying the right size.

who needs an inflatable jacket when you can get this-

http://www.universaldesigns.ca/UDR/ID/IDjacket.html

:eek:

I miss paintball so much... but all my money goes to the motorcycle build, and paintball sure aint cheap so its pretty hard to squeeze into my nonexistent budget.

boomshakalaka said:
I miss paintball so much... but all my money goes to the motorcycle build, and paintball sure aint cheap so its pretty hard to squeeze into my nonexistent budget.

i never realized how expensive it was.. i started playing when i was 9 so money didn't mean a whole lot to me, and by the time i was 12 i was doing tournaments and all of our paint, field time, and gear was free. i played last winter and it really burned a hole in my wallet!

we're getting a tad off topic here. oops.

muskrat said:
who needs an inflatable jacket when you can get this-

http://www.universaldesigns.ca/UDR/ID/IDjacket.html

:eek:
are you fuckin kidding me? god... people will buy/make/wear anything. id love to see someone wearing that, i really would.

Back
Top Bottom