1977 KZ400 Build "Logan's Run"

Re: 1977 KZ400 Build

Yeah especially since I replaced the clubmans with dragbars which would be infinitely easier to route the wires through.

Hey!!! Thats my coffee table!? and that used to be my fairing! I love it, how stuff gets passed around. Looking forward to seeing how this comes together.

As far as your seat goes; you can't get more symetrical lines that the rear end of the same tank. I like the look of that!

BTW; that fairing came to me with a 1968 Benelli 125 cobra I bought this summer. It was WAAAYYYY too big for it though.

seven degrees of seperation right? That is too funny, I couldn't even remember where I bought it from. I think it's a sign that I've bought and traded too much stuff.
Anyhow Noah, I have some very small clear signals (brand new) that should mount right in those holes. I'm not using them. I'll be pretty busy over the weekend but I'll try to get a picture at some point.

Oh how the karma and parts flow through this forum. ;D Hell yeah Troy I'd love to see a pic of the signals.

I can definitely see how this faring was huge on a 125 but it looks like it will fit perfectly on my 400.

Here's a link to the flush mount turn signals that I'm considering using on my fairing. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280413898653&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT

They would double as turn signals and the mounting bolt so speak to bolt the mounting bracket to the fairing. If I used regular small bullet style lights they'd be pointing cross-eyed but the flush mount ones light up fully and are more non-directional.

My only concern is that they may look too modern for a vintage fairing and cafe bike.

What do you folks think?

noahdog said:
What do you folks think?

The folks here use other 'modern' things like Carbon Fiber, CNC machined aluminum bits, modern front forks, and the like, I can't really see that there's much that wouldn't work, especially if it's what YOU like on YOUR bike. Of course, I'm not a stickler for things being 'pure and authentic.' ;)

ridesolo said:
The folks here use other 'modern' things like Carbon Fiber, CNC machined aluminum bits, modern front forks, and the like, I can't really see that there's much that wouldn't work, especially if it's what YOU like on YOUR bike. Of course, I'm not a stickler for things being 'pure and authentic.' ;)

+1 on this. It depends on what you are looking for. If you want a real vintage feel then these will probably not work. If you only want to hint at that and do your own thing then sky's the limit.

Ok how's this for an idea. The clear flush mount turn signals might not stick out like a sore thumb if I make it a theme. How about using a clear brake light and signals to tie it all together. Here's all 3 to show you the combo I'm thinking of using..

These mounted to the front fairing
signal4.jpg

And these at the rear
TurnSignals.jpg

With this tail light tucked under the gas tank rear end seat bump.
TailLight.jpg

I think that could work and would definitely improve safety. I need to see the bike done and the lights mocked up though. Get to work! ;D

Looks like the new bars will work nicely. I trimmed the fairing to fit around the gauges tonight and did a quick mock up.

PC160004-Copy.jpg

PC160005.jpg

Before I could even get the fairing mocked up I had to drop the front end and take the top of the triple tree apart to swap the fork ears with a pair I picked off Ebay since the original ones were pretty bent up and out of shape from a previous drop I'd guess.

good job man!

I think that this fairing has finally found its home! And I like the clear lens idea BTW.

Fairing Looks great! Looks like a lot of windscreen though, could just be those pics though. I like the strategic use of PBR's ;D

Kanticoy said:
good job man!

I think that this fairing has finally found its home! And I like the clear lens idea BTW.

I think I may have finally found a name for the bike. My buddy Dave, who's garage we all work on our bikes in, thinks that the clear lights with the retro fairing on bike will give it a 70's futuristic look ala Logan's Run. ;D

I love it! That could help you with a color scheme too, if you haven't already settled on one. I seem to recall a lot of matte silvers and grays on that film but I could be dead wrong.

diesel450 said:
I love it! That could help you with a color scheme too, if you haven't already settled on one. I seem to recall a lot of matte silvers and grays on that film but I could be dead wrong.

True, the vehicles are all silver. Someone just pointed out to me here at work that the crystal in their hands turned red after they turned 30 so maybe a nice metalic ruby red.

Re: 1977 KZ400 Build..."Logan's Run"

Maybe a couple of ankh symbols for sanctuary from the film on the side covers. ;)

Ankh.jpg

Back
Top Bottom