1988 Ducati 900 Super Sport Cafe Racer

DesmoDog said:
Sounds like you're ok on clearance in the front too. The forks on that must be kicked out a bit further than the later bikes? The mounts I saw must have been for the fairing and not the cooler?

Hey Desmodog, yup that was a fairing mount. :) Appreciate the input though, and it made me do a little bit of research into the history which is always a good thing.

eyhonda said:
Ok, a couple more suggestions. The front fender. It looks a little heavy; kind of a "touring" fender. I use one from an 848. I'm not sure if it will fit. It has more of a slimmer cut back look. Second, see if you can reroute the oil lines away from covers. Open covers (belt, clutch & sprocket) look and sound cool. I just cut mine open and painted them. Free!
Just a thought. Otherwise, it looks quite muscular and fit at the same time. I really like it (except the front fender)!

The fender on here is from the generation after this model. So in the 1990's this was a sports bike fender. Compared to a modern day sportsbike its huge. I personally don't mind it, and it looks sort of (to use that word again) quirky. But definitely will review this as the bike starts coming together. If it starts moving more retro, then this may well work, if it sorts going more contemporary then a smaller sleeker fender may work...

Love the open cover look. How practical is it though? Post up a pic of what you've done! Would be great to see it.

The plan with the oil lines is to move the oil cooler right down under the cylinder head directly in front of the wheel, the result will be two 15cm (+-) lines. (The little block in the mockup).

two-smoker said:
I dig it. The blacked-out frame and wheels look the nuts.

Ha thanks! :)

Swagger - will contact your buddy soon, and see what he says...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Did a bit of shopping today:

Parts_01.jpg

Parts_01_headlight.jpg

I measured up the size of a friends Generation 1 Monster headlight (20cm diameter, 10cm deep).
Picked up this old Lucas which is the same size. It may be a touch too retro (glass is domed, Monster glass is flat), but it may just move the bike a touch into a slightly different direction.

The grips are Harris replicas for BMW.

Saw those decals lying in an old bike shop a while ago, and went back to see if they were still there. They're the wrong colour, but figured I would get them anyway, guy gave them to me for basically nothing - good reference for making up new ones. (and the'yre old and dusty, and cool).

Dale said:
Love the open cover look. How practical is it though? Post up a pic of what you've done! Would be great to see it.

Here is the latest pic. The open covers are better than no covers that some owners run. I've heard of belts coming off. But my covers are partial and will still protect somewhat against a broken belt. The covers are cut open in the middle just enough to see/hear the belts moving. With the dry clutch, there is quite a bit of ruckus going on the right side even during idle!

For the clutch cover, I just cut a slant in it. It still has a drain hole in case I get caught in rain.

Also, you can see the chopped cans. I only relocated one of my oil lines.
6144685640_f2b781cae1_b.jpg

Hey nice. Really like what you've done with the clutch cover. Ive had a few bikes with open dry clutch and love the ruckus as you call it. Cans look really good shortened as well. I'm not sure I would go the open belt route on my build though... Is that an 848 fender you've got on there? ;-) Looks like it form here?

A guy in the Netherlands is also building a 900SS.
He used plexi glass windows, and polished the metal.
Foto-4KYQEDNX-D.jpg

you can follow the build here ( lost of pics if you don't understand Dutch ::) )
http://www.motor-forum.nl/forum/list_messages/325742/3/Ducati-ss-naar-classic-racer-4.html

here's a Pic of my '95 750SS when i removed the fairings to go naked a year ago, but think it looks really stange at the front end
Foto-XSBFRNVZ-D.jpg

Got an SL seat by now, but your build is really inpiring me to remove the fairings again ! ;D

Dale said:
Hey nice. Really like what you've done with the clutch cover. Ive had a few bikes with open dry clutch and love the ruckus as you call it. Cans look really good shortened as well. I'm not sure I would go the open belt route on my build though... Is that an 848 fender you've got on there? ;-) Looks like it form here?

Thanks! Yes, 848 fender in flat black. It fits my s2r with no mods. An idea from the Duc Monster forum....

Tetter@ I like the idea of covers with plexiglass. There are some designs out there for the clutch too. Looks cool and clean. But you don't get the noise!

Ducati guys are the only ones looking for MORE engine noise...haha.
(says the guy who loves the flatslide rattle on my Triumph!)

Dale, I think you should go retro with it!
Run that old Lucas headlight..what fun. Add a pair of ribbed aluminum mud-guards from 7metalwest and a little tiny flyscreen.

Damn.....now I gotta find and old Duc to hack on next.....you guys are killing me

Dale said:
Hey Tetter - did you fit that headlamp?
Nope, it's still on a shelve in my shed.
On the picture it's mounted with tie wraps for mock up.

I guess I shoud have removed the raised clipons and removed the original seat with this mock up, may have looked much different.

Dale said:
Hey Desmodog, yup that was a fairing mount. :) Appreciate the input though, and it made me do a little bit of research into the history which is always a good thing.

Ah... I just figured out you're not in the US. I wouldn't be surprised if we never got that bike here which would explain I why I've never seen reference to one around here.

I had an open clutch over on my last 900ss (a '97) along with fully floating rotors and an aftermarket exhaust. That bike always sounded like it was abotu to come apart but it was pretty damn intimidating on the road. Nothing like pulling up behind sonmeone, letting off to let the exhaust growl, and then having them move over. ;-) It had an open intake when I bought it too, but that was literally painful at about 4000rpm so I put the stock cover back on!

Tetter said:
Nope, it's still on a shelve in my shed.
On the picture it's mounted with tie wraps for mock up.

I guess I shoud have removed the raised clipons and removed the original seat with this mock up, may have looked much different.

Cant see from the pic, but are the clocks removed?

Yes, I had the complete frame for the front fairing removed.
I was thinking of just mounting the tacho and a small bike speedo, as the original clocks are very bulk. ( or an acewell )
On this '95 version, there is also some electrics mounted in the front fairing.
Was hoping to mount some open K&N filters to have the complete airbox to fill with electrics.

Your build is really getting me again :eek:
I stopped planning after removing the fairing, and as I needed to spend some cash on my CB ( carb revision, electronic ignition )
But I think I would go for the Old style Imola fairing to have some wind protection as I like to use the Duc to drive to work.

This machine was produced while Ducati was under the ownership of Cagiva. Check out all the little elephant logos:

Cagiva-Elefant-Logo.jpg

Filler_elli.jpg

Awesome classic quick release racing filler cap! Real bonus.

Tripple_elli.jpg

Casing_elli.jpg

There might be more, if I find any will post.

what a beast this'll be. dead set looking forward to seeing her done.

Motor going in to be split and see why the gear selection is being a bit troublesome on 3,4,5. Could be the selector fork is bent. It also means we can have a look at the rest of the motor. Also means that casings can get some cosmetic attention. (which they need).

Here's the bike in black, just for interest sakes. Will be sticking to red, but was just curious.

Ducati_900_ss_D01.jpg

That rear seat is one of the best i have ever seen, I thought the RAD to Hell was built from a 900ss but it was from a S2R, I was there when Pepo modified the frame. So don't be afraid of modifying the sub frame on this thing. RAD uses all recycled/ old race bike ohlins forks, maybe you can get your hands on some. Looks great and I say keep the air box. Great work keep it up.

here is the RAD to Hell

http://radducati.blogspot.com/2011/11/rad-to-hell-technical-schedule-photos.html

The final red mockup looks really nice.

Howabout trying a black swing arm and rear sets as well. That would be even nicer 8)

I think the cases need some contrast, as well. You could always polish or silver them to make them look a little more oldschool than red paint.

GoingsMoto said:

That is a serious beast. (!) Love the Paul Smart glitter silver too. Tons of billet aftermarket accents. Thanks for sharing! :)

ako said:
The final red mockup looks really nice.
How about trying a black swing arm and rear sets as well. That would be even nicer 8)
Not a bad idea ako. Ill try that out... it could look good, especially as the anodising on the swimgarm probably can do with some freshening up...

In the meantime, here's the black option with red frame. Im just going through some of the typical factory colour schemes Ducat has put out...

Ducati_900_ss_D02.jpg

Back
Top Bottom