CB360t - kick starter shaft investigation..can I split the case easy?

PNWDan

My kick start started the notorious grinding while running so I pulled the engine. I have it on the bench. can I split off the bottom case with the head on and just fix whatever I find wrong with it or will I need to do more tear down and more replacing parts like bearings etc?

You can just flip the engine over and pull the bottom case off. The kick start shaft and such is in the bottom case. Its pretty easy once all the clutch and oil pump is out of the way.

Be sure to get the bolts on the TOP of the case before you flip it over.

Okay cool. What does everyone recommend to seal the two halves again?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

PNWDan said:

Honda sealed the case with the Hondabond from the factory.

PNWDan said:

loctite 518 is the best shit made for this type of joint
i use a blade to spread a very thin layer,on one surface, rather than laying down a bead
the advantage to 518 is that it is anerobic you can take your time with assembly and it does not introduce any hard chunks into your oil
it can also be used for any kind of gasket sealing or repair, thread sealing, as well as a removable thread locker

cb350 but its about the same
http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=34531.msg376974#msg376974

xb33bsa said:
loctite 518 is the best shit made for this type of joint
i use a blade to spread a very thin layer,on one surface, rather than laying down a bead
the advantage to 518 is that it is anerobic you can take your time with assembly and it does not introduce any hard chunks into your oil
it can also be used for any kind of gasket sealing or repair, thread sealing, as well as a removable thread locker
I think I need this shit for my tappet cover. I've got oil wetting on the top fins of the heads. I used the black stuff.

Awesomeness thanks everyone. I ordered a CJ360 kick shaft as an upgrade. It'll be here soon and then ill get it all back together. Here is a pic of the CB before I had to pull the engine..
a2e5ebuv.jpg

Just wanted to update. I replaced the kick shaft unit as a whole with one from a CJ360. It is slightly different and stronger so this won't happen again. It was a direct swap.

Back
Top Bottom