1965 CB160 Resto

kosmjon

Been Around the Block
My first-ever bike at 16 was a 1968 CB160 in black and silver. For some reason I decided that I wanted to get a hold of one of these again after all these years. I mentioned this to my dad and he happened to know of a guy... It was fall of 2012 and I was in town for a visit. My dad arranges for us to go and see if this guy might have a CB160 he'd sell me. Boy did he ever! Turns out he was a quite a collector (Mike and Frank from American Pickers had been to visit!) with building after building of motorcycles and other collectable stuff. He even had several Bridgestone bikes still in their original shipping crate!

In one building was a room with about 40 (forty!) CB and CL160s. I start looking to see which appeared to be the best and most complete example. A key component of this is mufflers since they are unobtainium. So I pick one out and later over lunch at a local burger joint I start asking if he'd be willing to sell and if so what he'd take for it. He says $1500 (which is not unreasonable for one of these), but I replied I was at more like $800. There was also concern over if this was one of the bikes he had a title for or not.

Later in the day I started wondering what I was even thinking as I already two unfinished projects waiting back home. So we left it that he was gonna look for the the title and get back to me. A couple of weeks later my Mom tells me the guy had showed up at their shop with the bike on a trailer asking $1000 for it.

So they bought it! Turns out he could find no title so they got a bill-of-sale. That was certainly nice and unexpected and I insisted on sending a check, but they would have none of it saying it was my Christmas present. So nice of them!

Here's some pics of the bike sitting in the back of my Dad's shop on/about 26 November 2012

IMG_0245_zpsdvnz7xc8.jpg

Incorrect new-style badge on backwards to boot

IMG_0254_zpsvomuyclj.jpg

Only ~9000 miles

IMG_0257_zps6xe9scup.jpg

Looks like it spent part of its life in Wyoming

IMG_0322_zpsekptsrnt.jpg

They even washed it for me! Now I just need to figure out a cost-effective way to get it from Minneapolis to Jacksonville, FL ...

Attachments

• IMG_0318.jpg
    IMG_0318.jpg
    333.8 KB · Views: 319
About the same time you bought this I bought a 67 black and silver CB160 from a guy outside of Minneapolis. I got it shipped with Federal from there to South of New Orleans pretty reasonably.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using DO THE TON mobile app

Back
Top Bottom