sr 250 cafe - rachel - completed with pictures

mrwolf

live fast die young
just picked this up, going full cafe. i'll try and update as much as possible.

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    340.4 KB · Views: 452
Re: sr 250 cafe - rachel

Did you sell your FTR then?
I just got myself another XV250 for a bobber project!
Didn't pay a cent for it too!

Hit me up some time dude, we could go for a ride, friend of mine just imported a 1969 Enfield Bullet from india. It would be nice to go for a ride with a few cool bikes!

hey man, keen! i've still got the ftr this is just another project i'm working on. i'll give you a call when i'm free and we can ride. keep us updated on that bobber...

For sure dude!
I'm itching to go on a Shek O run, or Route Twisk when the weather clears up...

ok so i managed to get the engine rebuilt and painted in flat black (first pic) that was the toughest bit. as you can see the rest of the bike is still in shambles. gonna strip it, mediablast and repaint the frame. electrics are also going to be re-done completely.

and in the last pic you can see i had some shiny new bits on my desk when i arrived at the office this morning. stoked.

Attachments

• DSC_0001.JPG
    DSC_0001.JPG
    267.1 KB · Views: 426
  • DSC_0002.JPG
    DSC_0002.JPG
    269.3 KB · Views: 408
  • DSC_0004.JPG
    DSC_0004.JPG
    263.3 KB · Views: 394
  • photo1.JPG
    photo1.JPG
    123.8 KB · Views: 377

I am liking where this is heading...giving me motivation for my 1980 SR250. Did you polish the cam/rocker/sprocket covers yourself, or have someone do them? They look fantastic on the black engine case. LIKE LIKE! In my head I have been wanting to do that exact look...nice to see what it will look like!!

hey regal, yeah it's a bit of a shit job but the end result is well worth it. I started wire-wheeling them to remove the stubborn dirt/rust then I followed it up with sandpaper going finer and finer. Lastly I used metal polish and a polishing wheel to get to the final results, very time consuming!

as for the engine, while disassembled I wire wheeled the head and cases, cleaned it with degreaser and shot it with the engine paint. the pics don't really do it justice. I'll try and detail the next steps more clearly, hoping to have this build done within next month.

oh and I obviously replaced all the oem Phillips head screws with Allen bolts.

Where do you live/work that you've got space to do all this? I'd imagine new territories or kowloon side at the least?

ok got a lot done last weekend. couldn't get the frame mediablasted so had to wire-wheel the whole thing down with a grinder. only took me five hours minus painting :) completely de-tabbed the frame and painted everything in flat black. i also got all the parts for the wobbly rear swingarm (which i also painted) from cmnsl, fucking expensive with shitty service. anyway, managed to solder up a nice little battery and get some new parts. will take pics of my progress this weekend. promise. below are some inbetween shots...

Attachments

• DSC_0004.JPG
    DSC_0004.JPG
    216.3 KB · Views: 337
  • DSC_0003.JPG
    DSC_0003.JPG
    218.8 KB · Views: 324
  • DSC_0002.JPG
    DSC_0002.JPG
    240.6 KB · Views: 346
  • DSC_0001.JPG
    DSC_0001.JPG
    223.9 KB · Views: 360

swingarm bushes.

Attachments

• Contact_Black moustache.jpg
    Contact_Black moustache.jpg
    143.9 KB · Views: 344

a trick to clean frames of old paint and powder...a propane powered weed burner...it will burn all the paint off and then you just brush it clean.....
Mike

I really like those SR 250's, really excited what end up with !
Have Fun building !

Hey mr Wolf, those batteries will be used on SR250? I'm kinda new in bikes but planing of remaking SR250 myself and I could definitely use those insead of stock battery. Tell me how do you wire those up? Just put them in place of stock battery or you need some extra circutry there?

cheers,

Ivan

Fedja said:
Hey mr Wolf, those batteries will be used on SR250? I'm kinda new in bikes but planing of remaking SR250 myself and I could definitely use those insead of stock battery. Tell me how do you wire those up? Just put them in place of stock battery or you need some extra circutry there?

cheers,

Ivan

yep i wanna know too.. looks like great way to lose the bulky battery... i just bought a basket case sr250 fro 100 euros (we live in spain).. going for straight cafe racer style.. light and stripped....cant wait to start!

Sonreir said:
Where did you find those plug caps and wires?

they are NGK from a local shop here in hong kong, sure they are quite readily available online though.

MILKY said:
yep i wanna know too.. looks like great way to lose the bulky battery... i just bought a basket case sr250 fro 100 euros (we live in spain).. going for straight cafe racer style.. light and stripped....cant wait to start!

hi guys, i stopped using lead acid batteries ages ago they are shit and leak everywhere. these are 123A lipo4 cells and they are quite literally tiny. a quick google search should spew up a ton of info. they are wired in parallel to keep the voltage at a nominal 13.2V and they work way better than traditional batteries at a fraction of the weight. for everything <600cc 4 cells should do, but if you go bigger you will need 8 cells. they are wired like this, from one end through to the other end, negative to positive to negative to positive to negative etc. its called a 4s1p confiquration. the 4s denominating the cells and the 1p the parallel wiring.

these are also available commercialy under the name antigravity batteries and a few others, exact same thing except its covered in shrink wrap and the price has been quadrupled. you can buy A123 cells on ebay, most guys ship for free and i think some guys will solder the packs up for you if you tell them what you want.

i'm no electrics whizz, but ive always used these batteries and they are the dogs bollocks.

ok some more part pics. last weekend i got the rolling chassis together, will take some pics this week. its always dark once i get home from work.

Attachments

• DSC_0005.JPG
    DSC_0005.JPG
    240.9 KB · Views: 274
  • DSC_0006.JPG
    DSC_0006.JPG
    234.2 KB · Views: 316
Back
Top Bottom