1972 cb/cl 100

Thanks Trek, I plan to rip the carb apart this weekend, and clean the jets again.

Took the carb apart and found the main jet sitting at the bottom of the bowl. Must have shook loose. I cleaned it, and screwed it back in. Going to see what happens after nap.

Good job, hope it works......

What's with the naps......are you and trek that old........ ??? ;D.....or young?

My kids are napping. I work on bike during nap, but can't make a lot of racket, light sleepers.

No go today. Checked the spark plug, it was black. So I cleaned it checked the gap and tried again. It turned over and tried to start once, got a couple putters and a puff of smoke, then nothing. Giving up today. Going to dinner with the wife.

Well that just blows, I hate that. This bike was running before correct? Was it hard starting then?
Install a new plug.
Check timing.
Set idle speed (slide height to just a little crack open), then set A/F mix to 1.5-2 turns out from bottom.

It was running a couple weeks ago. It took a while to start, and had to keep throttle open to keep it running. Now nothing. I'll try that tomorrow.

In the pics you posted. I dont see an Air/Fuel mix adjuster. Is it on the frame (left) side of the carb?

Nope, motor side. From what I read, it says treat it the opposite of the air adjuster on frame side.

I bought a new plug and installed before I had it running from the interweb. I read any ngk plug from a hardware store will work. Is this true? I don't have a spare right now, the new plug is the one that I cleaned today.

Any matching plug to the original requirement will work. I think the 100 uses the thinner plug so it would be NGK code D8EA. Cross that number to other manufacturers and any matches will be fine. The D means it's 12mm thread, 8 is the temperature that the plug should maintain, and the others are fuzzy but I think the A means is a copper core or something, not really important just make sure you don't deviate. For instance, a DR8EA will muck things up.

Picked up a new plug today, local store had it for $2.49. Super happy about that. I'll recheck things and see what happens tomorrow.

Recleaned the carb the jets and bowl, mixed in some new gas in the tank, new plug in, and a squirt of starter fluid and she ran. She's rough and bogs down if giving too much throttle. Haven't gotten her out on the road yet. Had the idle set pretty good, then she stalled. I'm now letting her sit for a few before I try again. Guessing I need to pull the complete Carb apart to make sure there is nothing gunked up in there somewhere.

did you check point gap and static timing? If you can keep her idling for a bit check timing w strobe light.

Park her w exhaust pointed towards sun, on a "no breeze" evening. When she starts to bog on throttle, watch exhaust for black smoke. Black smoke says shes too rich and need to jet down. Or keep her bogging for a bit. Then check plug. If its cleaner and white, shes too lean. black plug = rich.

trek97 said:
did you check point gap and static timing? If you can keep her idling for a bit check timing w strobe light.

Park her w exhaust pointed towards sun, on a "no breeze" evening. When she starts to bog on throttle, watch exhaust for black smoke. Black smoke says shes too rich and need to jet down. Or keep her bogging for a bit. Then check plug. If its cleaner and white, shes too lean. black plug = rich.
I set the gap a couple months ago, before any attempt to start it. I didn't use a light to verify, but I plan to recheck it this weekend. Thanks for the sun trick.

Its best to time w a light. Ive found the static time is just close enough to get her started and running. Not riding. You may be surprised just how far off static time is once shes running. And the light will show you shes advancing properly w rpm.

I never realized it would run with timing off. I've researched and read the manual and know how to check the static timing with a light. How do I check it running with a strobe? Same idea? Do I just leave the light attached?

I use a Craftsman I bought 30 years ago.

This should do it.. Stroboscopic timing light.
http://www.harborfreight.com/timing-light-with-advance-40963.html

Or just borrow one if you can.

Back
Top Bottom