73 CL125s: Billiwhacker

Interesting. Yes, I see a few valve sets on ebay for "CB100 CB125 S CL100 CL125" etc.

According to a thread sohc4.net the one piece heads are fully interchangeable between models. A two piece head will fit but with a shorter cam chain/tensioner.

[source]

The only discrepancy I can find is that the springs are different sizes, as per the workshop manual:

goypOVb.png

Max, here are the head pics

Rick

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 321
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    939.7 KB · Views: 306
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 321
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 327
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 301
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 328
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 311
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 318
Got a head in the mail from 45exmayor. To set the record straight, the guys from the CB125 group tell me the 100 and 125 heads are identical except for the rockers and chamber size. I'll be using my 125's rockers, and the smaller chamber will raise my compression to about 10.5-1.

Thanks again Rick! (And if anyone wants my 125 head let me know)

QJCiKFk.jpg

EEZ7d7c.jpg

In other news, tires are ordered. My buddies are wrapping up their last week of summer calculus this week meaning we will have more time to get this thing back together. We still need to tend to the shocks/springs and everything. I think after we put the engine back together we're going to take the front end apart. Haven't figured out what to do about the tank or the seat yet, but nether of those are a priority at this stage.

Getting a head with less issues will save you a ton of work, and possibly headaches, like getting out the spark plug.
I'm really starting to dig the smaller bikes.

Progress has been slow as things have gotten in the way (timing belt replacement on my bmw, flat tire on my other 125, work, life, etc.) but we installed the piston and it feels nice and snug in the cylinder. The head is just about ready to go on. One of the tires is apparently back ordered so we haven't gotten those yet. I'm also about to place another order for fork seals & boots, points & condenser, clutch cable, drive chain... few other things. Is there anything I should definitely replace that I'm not thinking of?

I noticed that Motion Pro sells a clutch cable specifically for the cb/cl125 but I can't find a throttle or brake cable, except for the ebay ones from Bangkok. What have you small Honda guys used for replacement cables?

I had to order a custom motion pro clutch cable because the later 125 with the 2 piece head has a clutch lever on the motor that pulls back to front instead of up and down. Give them a call about the other cables you need. They probably have the specs to build them and they were very easy to work with.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 283
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    877.4 KB · Views: 307
I'm placing a Partzilla order with just about everything I need except for the seat pan, headlight bucket, and a few other odds and ends. Partzilla carries the motion pro clutch cable but the throttle and brake cables are apparently obsolete. I'm going to order them from another source--might contact motion pro.

On another note: I contacted the guy who sold me the bike and he has 2 tanks available. They appear to both be SL125 tanks. One is pretty nice and I'm going to probably buy it, but I'm wondering if any of you 125 guys could use the other one. It's green and has a pretty big dent on the side with minor internal rust, but the seller says it's "very usable." He wants $75 but I bet I could talk him down on the price if I bought both. If any of you guys want to know more let me know and maybe we can work something out.

Picked up the tank today! I really like the patina. Definitely not going to mess with the paint job, but I might touch up the Honda badge with some white paint.

RlmUPzL.jpg

tX4Vrgl.jpg

Progress slowed down for a bit but we've done a little bit of work lately. Here's the current state of the Billiwhacker:

32mu3tT.jpg

I learned how to remove the wheel and change a tire on my other 125, so I took the wheels off Billi to start getting it cleaned up. Of course another goddamn black widow crawled out of the rear drum, so I did the first logical thing that came to mind which was to toss the drum onto the garage floor. No harm, but need to clean a lot of crap out of the drums.

We're also trying to get the forks apart but can't get the damn things out. The workshop manual says to "Remove the front fork bolt, loosen the steering stem fork mounting bolt and then remove the fork" but both of the forks are catching on something when we try to pull them out. It seems like the "steering stem fork mounting bolt" clamp isn't "unclamping" but we're not positive. The springs are really crusty so we're thinking that might have something to do with it. Anyone have any advise?

hvdFx3V.jpg

The tubes are rusted above and below the lower triple clamp. Pull the top triple off. and remove the ear tubes. Spray some penetrant on the rust and sand on it w emory to remove rust. Maybe GENTLY wedge a screwdriver in the lower clamp slot. Just to help spread it a little.

AND YES YOU CAN BREAK THE CLAMPS...DONT DO THAT.

Twist the forks, working them out. GENTLY

Great call, thanks Trek. The tubes are totally gunky and rusty. This explains why the front suspension was nonexistent. ::)

Been a little while but the forks are off. Thanks again for the tip, Trek! Anyway, pictures speak louder than words:

mpIBDvm.jpg

So yeah, working on sanding that down. Guess the fork guides (that's what bike bandit calls them) kept the moisture in. Very gross. But good news! I spent a while cleaning up the wheels and mounted the new tires. I am happy.

A little before and after:

U9ZG7k8.jpg

V3zOZmv.jpg

Hello dead spider:

CkHkGSL.jpg

Both rims had some interior surface rust. The front rim cleaned up very nicely, although the rear was a bit more rusty. I spent several hours sanding all the nasty down and sprayed some rust inhibitor on. Good as new! And here are Billi's new shoes:

Oddr7o2.jpg

Another cool thing that I don't think I posted before: 1973 CSUN Parking Pass.

0QKSZ7m.jpg

Anyway that's it for now. Hope to progress more soon.

Thanks guys. Yep, that's rust that was hiding under the guide cushion. Both forks look about the same in terms of that. Made it a challenge to get the springs off.

Well this happened today.

5nQG6tx.jpg

Finally got the 10x14 dowel pins in the mail that were halting progress putting the engine together. It was much easier than I expected to assemble the top end. I was on a roll, so I set the points, adjusted the valves, aaaaand...

6CIm1U2.jpg

Oh yeah, that thing... So back apart went the top end and I did it again. I was so frustrated I dropped my phone on the goddamn floor. But after that minor setback, behold the glorious 4 stroke!

ObhxOai.jpg

I've also been polishing the shit out of everything. The forks are still in progress, but after that I just need to clean some surface rust off the frame and put everything back together and then RIDE. The future does not seem distant.

maxDTM said:
Oh yeah, that thing... So back apart went the top end and I did it again.

For situations like that you need a tool of improbability. Sorry I don't have a link- I got mine from this little guy that speaks in rhymes and lives in a hollow tree in the woods behind my cabin. It makes me dizzy when I use it but I just put on a half-shell and some pads. It's awesome. Here's the endoscope you were lusting after, though:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00EQNCMTY

I say get it now, rather than later. There were a bunch of rewiring jobs I did on our hundred-year-old city house recently where it would have come in handy. I'm also going to use it to check some ancient drain pipes for cracks.

P.S. Nice image editing there. That's good for a few extra horsepower.

Hah well I'm unfamiliar with the concept, but yes I think I probably will need one of those before something else like this happens. Currently I'm having difficulties getting the snap rings off the forks, so I've got some liquid wrench soaking overnight and I'll try again in the morning. I'm getting pretty antsy to put everything back together.

Back
Top Bottom