best way to trim stock fender?

mr vroom

I took the fenders off my old Virago but am considering shortening the front and painting it black. At least I think it looks good on some other bikes Ive seen and it may help stiffen my spindley front forks.

I guess I could make a template of the existing curve of the fenders front and transfer it further back and cut it with an angle grinder..... but am wondering how someone ( who knows what they are doing ) would proceed. I am no craftsman...LOL

appreciate any tips

thats how I have done it.
cut off wheel on my grinder and used masking tape on the fender so I can draw the curves I would like and cut it off, some filing may be needed to smooth the edges down.
If its chrome, you may want to blast off the chrome for your paint to adhere

Sounds good to me. I wanted to trim my rear fender and have been debating how I'll pull it off.

82 Honda CB900C is my first attempt of a bike upgrade

If it's a rolled lip and you plan on painting it, I would cut the end off square and then cut however much you want to shorten it and then weld the rolled lip back on. Dress it and paint or powder coat.

Back in the day I bobbed an RXS-100 (yes, really!). When I modified the stock - chromed metal - mudguard - sorry, you're a yank aren't you - I mean fender ;) - I did it by using flexible tape to mask up a curve that I liked - this took a while! - then I marked up next to the tape with indelible marker and removed the tape. I didn't want a messy, melted gloop to scrape off after the next bit - which was an angle grinder.

After cutting the curve I wanted, I filed off the rough edges, then sanded them back to smooth. Next came the arduous job of sanding the rest of the mud- I mean fender. I used 800 grit if memory serves. I didn't take the chrome off, just made sure is was scratched enough to ensure good grip for the primer. I used an etch primer as well to ensure that it stayed where I wanted it. After flatting back, it was sprayed gloss black, and looked superb. It's a shame the bike went to someone else 10 years ago, she'd been sprayed a metallic purple pearl (that was the colour name, she looked closer to burgundy than purple) and looked superb.

I'll go along with the consensus and recommend a angle grinder and thin cutting wheel. You'd be surprised at the accuracy you can maintain with this set-up.

dugsgms said:
I'll go along with the consensus and recommend a angle grinder and thin cutting wheel. You'd be surprised at the accuracy you can maintain with this set-up.

That's what I had planned. Tape up the shape I'm going for and grind away.

Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON

Khaos said:
Back in the day I bobbed an RXS-100 (yes, really!). When I modified the stock - chromed metal - mudguard - sorry, you're a yank aren't you - I mean fender ;) - I did it by using flexible tape to mask up a curve that I liked - this took a while! - then I marked up next to the tape with indelible marker and removed the tape. I didn't want a messy, melted gloop to scrape off after the next bit - which was an angle grinder.

After cutting the curve I wanted, I filed off the rough edges, then sanded them back to smooth. Next came the arduous job of sanding the rest of the mud- I mean fender. I used 800 grit if memory serves. I didn't take the chrome off, just made sure is was scratched enough to ensure good grip for the primer. I used an etch primer as well to ensure that it stayed where I wanted it. After flatting back, it was sprayed gloss black, and looked superb. It's a shame the bike went to someone else 10 years ago, she'd been sprayed a metallic purple pearl (that was the colour name, she looked closer to burgundy than purple) and looked superb.

would love to see a picture of your rxs!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry SHafiqshikin,

that bike went long ago, I've got no pics. Ironically, I'm going to have to sell a totally standard RXS-100 to make space for my latest purchase, a Kawasaki GPZ305 that's been cafe racered :(

Back
Top Bottom