Yes, another CB360 Project - BRGT

360 engines are easy peasy. Just a couple bolts and the thing slides right out. Just as easy to go back in. Only thing I can recommend to make it even easier is to take the top breather cap off, that extra 1" of clearance goes a long way.

NOW, a 450 on the other hand weights about 25 MORE pounds, is REALLY top heavy, and almost requires shoe horn to get into place. ;D I've done it both ways, putting the frame on the engine and putting the engine in the frame. Sucks both ways. You have to set the engine on the bottom frame rail then tilt it to the outside, then lift and slide it into place then tilt back and drop at the same time. Without dropping it or pinching a finger.

I use Wango as encouragement, I hope to still be as interested in bikes and such at that age. My grand father is eighty something, he won't tell anyone, and he's still out tinkering with his trucks. And when I say tinkering I mean doing engine swaps and rebuilding transmissions and such.

For the record I'm 33. ;)

Hey guys,
You really are as young as you feel. I've always tried to keep healthy, and that helps tremendously.

Eat right, exercise, and moderation in all things, plus keep that youthful spirit and you can't help but be "young".

Here's a good example of keeping young. Wife and me in a local parade last year with "extra" sidecar I built for our granddaughter, but she chickened out so Kermit was enlisted. I was actually happier than I appear in this photo.

I'm sure you guys will be doing what you love when you get older. ;D

Attachments

• Mike's Toy.jpg
    Mike's Toy.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 226
Wangofree said:
Hey guys,
You really are as young as you feel. I've always tried to keep healthy, and that helps tremendously.

Eat right, exercise, and moderation in all things, plus keep that youthful spirit and you can't help but be "young".

Here's a good example of keeping young. Wife and me in a local parade last year with "extra" sidecar I built for our granddaughter, but she chickened out so Kermit was enlisted. I was actually happier than I appear in this photo.

I'm sure you guys will be doing what you love when you get older. ;D

Rock On Pops!

Isn't it great how some things can bridge all gaps ...our Interest in bikes and tinkering bring us together. I have made a very good friend through the hobby, he is 26 and I'm a "Young" 54.

Like Wangofree says "keep that youthful spirit and you can't help but be young"...here is a Great Example still Young at 88....Be SURE and watch to the end,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PP9b_91PHi8

Sorry bout the thread jacking

Frankenfe - Go Nana go!!! That's fantastic. Nana's got some moves! ;D

Age really is just a state of mind. Glad I'm not the only one on here over 50. :eek:

Thanks for sharing. You're right about common interests. It's the glue that holds us together.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________

I'm waiting on new front brake pads. Until then I'm going to start wrapping my head around the wiring.

Wangofree said:
Age really is just a state of mind. Glad I'm not the only one on here over 50. :eek:

You aren't the only one, that's for sure! I'm 57 and am working on my own CL360 project as well as any other suitable messing, tinkering, and fiddling I can do to stay active and agile! My oldest brother is designing and machining an aluminum top triple for my bike and he's 69! Wrench on! Cory

I just bought a Honda Cub 50 for my mum so she could travel around the city and be active. She is 65 and still able to beat me hard with chopstick ( I love that though I am 37). I will tell her about you 'young' guys and hope she will use the Honda cub more often.

Wangofree said:
You're a good son Viet. She sounds like a great mum. :D
Thank you. Can I share your photo ( with your wife on Vespa side car) on my Facebook. That is great photo of love and fun.
Viet

Wango - Ill be doing my rearset install this weekend. Did you run into any additional items you would recommend? Is there any additional parts I need to buy before the install? Would you do anything differently than you did? Thanks a lot!

-Matt

Hey Matt - Exciting that you're going to do your rearsets. I don't think any extra parts are needed, other than the new rear brake shoes I bought. I decided to wait for the install until I had new shoes. It might make a slight change on your placement, but nothing that can't be dialed out.

I did have to cut the all thread about 1 or 1 1/2". Before I did that I screwed both ends up into the rear connectors so I'd have some play in case I cut it too short.

Here's how things turned out on the brake side. . .

I did have to cut the connector bolt a little because it was rubbing on the frame.

I can't remember if I cut this one. . .

Of course once you get things where you like them, be sure to go back with some threadlocker.

Man, to engage the rear brake the pedal only has to be pushed down about 3/4". Everything feels nice and tight. :D

I haven't got the shifter setup yet, but I don't anticipate any issues other than cutting and setting up the "old" shifter so I can make the connection to the rearset.

Hope all goes well.

Mike

The wiring has officially started. Well, sort of. I have to figure out how to hook up the Kohler Rec/Reg unit, and the EI that I got from Viet. My goal is to have enough basic wiring finished in about a week so that I can fire up the bike and see how the EI performs.

I've also been playing around with more scrap metal from work. I'm thinking about this for a rear fender. . .

The black is hard to capture in a photo. Not sure if it's a keeper, but I think it might work. Ugh, back to the wiring. . . ::)

TO get her running all you need is some jumper cables a battery and a battery charger. Maybe a jumper with alligator clips too. ;)

I got antsy the first time I wanted to hear my 450 run. Wife was laughing but it does work and with charger hooked to the battery you can run it till it runs out of gas. ;D

Love the fender idea, nothing like adding a little texture into the bike.

The kohler unit just attaches in where the old rectifier does, just put a ring terminal on the green wire and stick it under the bolt you use to mount the thing. The Regulator wiring can be left out completely.

Another thing I would suggest is to remove the WHITE wire circuit out of the charging system completely. Start at the stator and just tie the yellow and white together. Then remove the white to the light switch and there will be a yellow return wire back from the switch to the yellow wiring somewhere around the rectifier portion of the harness. There is one that goes to the head light that needs to stay.

Basically what that does is makes the system charge at full capacity all the time and removes the extra wiring. Lights have to be on all the time anyway so there is no reason for the other wiring any more and the Kolher units can handle the added juice fine. Works great on both my bikes.

I looked at that same fuse box for another project but chose another because that one looked like it had one common connection for all fuses. Lemme know how it works if it does. There are others that separate all the fuses to their own circuits, the bike I will be wiring soon needed that type.

It's hard to tell from the photo, but is there enough room for the chain and swing arm to move up and not hit the fender? I removed my shocks on my project bike and was surprised at the amount of travel even close to the pivot point of the swing arm.

frogman said:
The kohler unit just attaches in where the old rectifier does, just put a ring terminal on the green wire and stick it under the bolt you use to mount the thing. The Regulator wiring can be left out completely.

Another thing I would suggest is to remove the WHITE wire circuit out of the charging system completely. Start at the stator and just tie the yellow and white together. Then remove the white to the light switch and there will be a yellow return wire back from the switch to the yellow wiring somewhere around the rectifier portion of the harness. There is one that goes to the head light that needs to stay.

Basically what that does is makes the system charge at full capacity all the time and removes the extra wiring. Lights have to be on all the time anyway so there is no reason for the other wiring any more and the Kolher units can handle the added juice fine. Works great on both my bikes.

Frogman,
I know you spearheaded the Kohler unit on Honda Twins. Here's what I have coming off the stator:

A red/green wire for the Neutral light. The pink, yellow and a white wire.

Not sure if I follow you, but you're suggesting I connect the pink and yellow to the outside, and run a red hot wire to the middle connector? And this white wire is one that I can remove from the system?

I'll be doing a simplified wiring harness. The headlight will be a direct hot wire to the switch, light and ground. Nothing fancy.

Thanks for the feedback on the fender. The fusebox is setup with a 15 amp fuse coming into the common power strip, and individual fuses out to other circuits.

Thanks for your insight. :D

MatthiasSalzburg said:
It's hard to tell from the photo, but is there enough room for the chain and swing arm to move up and not hit the fender? I removed my shocks on my project bike and was surprised at the amount of travel even close to the pivot point of the swing arm.

Hey MS - This is still a work in progress. At "full" compression the chain didn't come close to the opening, but I may need to make an adjustment. The photo isn't the best to show how things layout.

From the resting position of the brake pedal, how far down is max travel? Im worried about hitting my exhaust hard if I lock up the rear. Also, I CANNOT get that rear pin through the brake actuating arm. It's nearly impossible without dropping the swingarm.

-Matt

White and yellow get spliced together and go to one outside pole, the pink goes to the other outside pole, and the middle pole goes directly to the battery.

Green and pink is the neutral like indicator.

Tie the White and Yellow together on one outside leg and the Pink to the other outside... the middle leg is your hot.

Wangofree said:
Frogman,
I know you spearheaded the Kohler unit on Honda Twins. Here's what I have coming off the stator:

A red/green wire for the Neutral light. The pink, yellow and a white wire.

Not sure if I follow you, but you're suggesting I connect the pink and yellow to the outside, and run a red hot wire to the middle connector? And this white wire is one that I can remove from the system?

I'll be doing a simplified wiring harness. The headlight will be a direct hot wire to the switch, light and ground. Nothing fancy.

Thanks for the feedback on the fender. The fusebox is setup with a 15 amp fuse coming into the common power strip, and individual fuses out to other circuits.

Thanks for your insight. :D

Back
Top Bottom