Post a pic of your latest purchase

Nice score Hurco and it looks like the TIG can run 110 as well as 240. Nice big argon bottle too. I started with a 60 CuFt and moved up to 100 and it still runs out too fast. Probably because my welding is crap and I have to re-do it a few times, but who's counting.

teazer said:
Nice score Hurco and it looks like the TIG can run 110 as well as 240. Nice big argon bottle too. I started with a 60 CuFt and moved up to 100 and it still runs out too fast. Probably because my welding is crap and I have to re-do it a few times, but who's counting.

yeah, I was happy that it came with the bottle. That particular one would've been $200 to purchase alone, so I figure I really got the welder and kit for $150, since id have had to buy a bottle anyhow.

Hurco550 said:
that could be arranged lol
11494-200816163635.png

Hurco550 said:
A buddy of mine decided to sell off all of his shop tools and move from his place to a 9th story apartment. (Not sure if he fell and hit his head or what) He made me a "friends and family" deal on his old tig welder that I couldn't pass up. Ac/dc inverter (can weld aluminum and mild or stainless steel), argon bottle, filler, gas lense, pedal, ground ect plus an oxy fuel torch set (less the bottles) for $350. Pretty excited to finally be able to tig in my own garage.
36857ebc2fe4d94f7a2305f4a2df49d8.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I'm jelly.

J-Rod10 said:
A tig welder just makes life grand. Throw AC on it, just icing on the cake.

Welding aluminum is a whole other skill to acquire as I discovered when I decided to fab a new alloy tank for a drag bike.

teazer said:
Welding aluminum is a whole other skill to acquire as I discovered when I decided to fab a new alloy tank for a drag bike.
I can weld thicker alloy all day long. 18 gauge and smaller, gives me fits for some reason.

teazer said:
I've got a good tig, but for aluminium tanks I use the oxy/acetylene as it is easier to control and penetrates all the way through the seam, not just the outside, if that's the problem you had Teazer. You just need the correct flux, special goggles and a slightly carburising flame and Bob's your uncle.

It's funny, I've always had better luck on thinner stuff with aluminum tig than I do on thicker. If its over 3/16", I pull out the push pull mig setup.

In other news, dad and I went in halves on this old ford cabover with an 8.2 liter Detroit turbo diesel. This particular one is a 1981 model. It was donated to the tech school that I teach at 8 or so years ago and they decided that they had gotten their use out of it, so we spent the last couple days getting it ready for the 17 mile journey home. Lol

Fun fact, Ford made this same cab largely unchanged from 1957 to 1990. She rides a bit rough, but the engine runs smooth, and it only has just shy of 60k miles on the clock. It's due for a head gasket job (those motors were notorious for needing them I've read) but otherwise it's a pretty solid old mule.

https://youtu.be/E4_J8kuQLHk

52adf66161c83ce28d4f1e8d1e38bf40.jpg

ridesolo said:
Now that's a bike hauler! (Snowmobile hauler?) Cool.
It'll haul almost anything, just not very fast lol

Hurco550 said:
It'll haul almost anything, just not very fast lol

Hmmm. Flat bed. Mount the box from a clapped-out box truck. Take the axles and hitch off of a travel trailer; an Airstream would be ideal. Endless possibilities! If it was made all those years you'd think there might be different rear end ratio sets available for it.

pidjones said:
Looks like she has had decent care. Soooo many possibilities!
It was bought new by a john Deere dealership about 30 minutes north of us. Has a bit of rust on the back of the fenders, but it's really solid otherwise, especially for an Ohio truck. For now we are thinking a flatbed. I could probably fit 6-8 vintage bikes on it easy enough ;)

Yep. I had a friend who has an 848cc mini that will do 90kph up a 18° hill and a Mack Valueliner that could do 140kph on the flat.

Back
Top Bottom