'75 Yamaha XS500 Cafe Project - Open Throttle

Re: 1975 Yamaha XS500B Cafe Project (TX500) - 8/29 - IT"S ALIVE!!

mine too... spotless actually, i have tried the 135's they did not cut it, actually i have tried 3 up and 3 down from stock, and nothing, floats are perfect, air screw is set, nothing though, i truely hope you have better luck than i did, i think the trick is to run a longer pipe on them, my short shots are just too short

Re: 1975 Yamaha XS500B Cafe Project (TX500) - 9/12 - Carpy Seat Mounted

Okay first off, forgive me for building this bike backwards. Now the fun stuff, hacked up the original seat pan and kept test fitting the fiberglass seat until it sat flat. Tried to center it as best as possible by drilling a hole in the middle first so i could have a pivot point if i needed to straiten it. Found some screws, washers, lock washer and a nut. Cut the bolt to size then use a tap and die set to get the threads back.

Seat works perfectly with hinges. Now I just gotta give the pan a thorough blasting and epoxy coat.

IMG_1854.JPG

IMG_1846.JPG

IMG_1849.JPG

IMG_1852.JPG

IMG_1861.JPG

Just some new decal I photoshop'd up. Thinking of laying it down on the side of the seat tail.
vinyl.jpg

I would never have thought of mounting the seat that way, but it looks just right. Good one.

that is a great idea fo the seat man!!! just great! to me that seat is a bit long for the bike but the mount set up is def something i will be copy'n in the future!

JRK5892 said:
that is a great idea fo the seat man!!! just great! to me that seat is a bit long for the bike but the mount set up is def something i will be copy'n in the future!

Thanks. Yeah I do have to agree the seat is slightly unproportioned compared to the tank and frame. I measured before hand but I guess you never know how these things are going to fit until you get it in front of you. Oh well..

I figure it's something you won't even notice once I get it painted. It just sticks out for now.

I think having the upholstrey wrap 1-2" over the front of the seat hump will help reduce it's visual size a bit., should look tasty.

valvesprung said:
I think having the upholstrey wrap 1-2" over the front of the seat hump will help reduce it's visual size a bit., should look tasty.

That's a real good idea! Thx. I'll test it out with some photoshop mach ups.

Great job mounting the seat...what a good ides. I'm sure it's been done like that but it's the first one I can remember being so cleanly done! Personally I think the seat is 99% there, once upholstery is added (though maybe an inch wrap?) you'll be much closer. The only other thing I would consider is trimming the bottom of the seat hump front the leading edge of the hump up to the top of the flat at the back in a nice gentle arc. That'll shave a ton of 'visual weight; off the ass end in general but specifically it'll tie the seat in better with the tank. If you're still lamenting at that point you could always swap to an XS750 standard tank or a GS450. Both have a great shape for this kind of thing....

Regardless though....great job on the seat mounting!

Swagger said:
Great job mounting the seat...what a good ides. I'm sure it's been done like that but it's the first one I can remember being so cleanly done! Personally I think the seat is 99% there, once upholstery is added (though maybe an inch wrap?) you'll be much closer. The only other thing I would consider is trimming the bottom of the seat hump front the leading edge of the hump up to the top of the flat at the back in a nice gentle arc. That'll shave a ton of 'visual weight; off the ass end in general but specifically it'll tie the seat in better with the tank. If you're still lamenting at that point you could always swap to an XS750 standard tank or a GS450. Both have a great shape for this kind of thing....

Regardless though....great job on the seat mounting!

I think I get what your saying. Like follow the seat line and trim off the excess that's pops down at the strut bolt area?

standby and I'll show you what I'm talking about......

Re: 1975 Yamaha XS500B Cafe Project (TX500) - 9/20

Nothing too exciting here.

Got my Reverse Cone Muffler. Found the pair on ebay for $100 made by Emgo. Fitting them was another story. Had to cut 1.5 to 2 inches off the header ends so I could get the angle right. Measure twice, cut once. Universal mounting bracket on the exhaust had nothing to latch on too so I used a electrical pipe clamp with a rubber shim and was able to attach it to part of the frame.

Also fabricated some new side covers. I just couldn't stand the awful stock ones. No pics yet but new side covers and going to be an inverted triangle to match the lines of the frame. 30 degrees bent in towards the front with drilled out holes running down it. Going to put yamaha logo and racing number on it.

IMG_1865.jpg

IMG_1869.jpg

Next took the rear fender and trimmed the sides so they would be tucked away under the frame. Then trimmed the tail to fit under the seat. Now I am water and dirt protected. Fender is primed in picture.
IMG_1872.jpg

Next purchase for tail light. Drilled Billet Tail light
5349-vintage-cafe-racer-caferacer-bobber-brat-chopper-streetfighter-motorcycle-parts-classic-retro-drilled-taillight-5_2.jpg

5349-vintage-cafe-racer-caferacer-bobber-brat-chopper-streetfighter-motorcycle-parts-classic-retro-drilled-taillight-6_2.jpg

you will have no problem tuning that bike with those pipes! not at all man, that is what i should have gone wiht from the jump... but now i am too deep!

it is looking great so far man! did you see how i did my side covers, that would be a good way to run with them but do much more of the screen work

JRK5892 said:
it is looking great so far man! did you see how i did my side covers, that would be a good way to run with them but do much more of the screen work

I liked your side covers alot. I think if I kept mine I would do the same. The problem is that I hate how they overlap the edge of the frame and hide the pod filters. So the other day I cut out two steel pieces in the shape of the image below. Bent in the seam to follow the frame and drill holes with a mesh back. Racing number or logo on the side.
5.jpg

I like the side cover idea, should look cool.

I noticed you decided to keep the passenger foot peg mount loops on the frame. I'm planning to cut mine off. Any thoughts on that?

BTW the bike is looking great. Have you decided on the paint yet?

I am planning to go with something a little crazy:

IMG00042-20100815-1507.jpg

Or something conservative like Audi Nimbus Grey:

28448.jpg

LOL, I can't decide.

Anyway, what did you do about your electrical? I wan't to redo mine completely and eliminate my starter.

Cheers,

R.

Rearsets have been on my list but there are a couple things that complicate the idea. First is that there is really not much room with the exhaust muffler in the way. If you look at Joe's TX500 he was able to pull it off because he has strait pipes. My other concern is that the angle of linkage would rub against the case. Thus I would have to reverse the shifting. 1-UP 2,3,4,5 down.

I am going to ride with the stock setup first and see how it rides then decide what i want to do. I kept the start and everything. Just easier to start up. Joe fabricated a start switch on the side of his TX500. Really slick looking.

I've recently decide to go with a candy apple red paint with black racing strips. I was going to do candy and silver but the black will flow better with my black spokes.

Here is mach up I did awhile ago. Side covers are out now. New ones will be black. with white racing number or something.
MACK-UP-BLACK.jpg

Just saw this - that reverse shifting (normally called GP shifting) can actually be comfortable once you get used to it. Problem is, it can also be habit forming..... Especially if you ride more than 1 bike.

i have rode GP shifting and personally hate it, exp in traffic! but then again i have been riding standard shift for years, it also makes selling the bike hard!

Back
Top Bottom