YZF750/1000R - The Fly 5

Great news! I happened to ride the YZF up to the brand new Triumph dealership grand opening Saturday. Good time, beautiful new bikes. The service manager for the Triumph dealership saw me getting on the YZF to leave and he literally ran out to stop me. It turns out Charles is a long time Yamaha Genesis geek. He was on a team that built them for these guys: http://www.dutchmanracing.com/

These bikes are pretty uncommon around the states so we both geeked out pretty hard for awhile. He has piles of parts, cranks, pistons, valves the works. I couldn't have got more lucky to find a local guy who knows these bikes so well. He started telling me about sticking the 1000 motors in them and I had to tell him, Yeah! I have one I'm starting to put together. Fires re-ignited for the 1000R build!!!

Attachments

• 3ohvh4.jpg
    3ohvh4.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 725
Dutchman Racing is the real deal. I was on the track with them many times back in the late 80's and early 90's endurance racing. I was always in the smaller classes, so I got to see them fairly often as they would pass me. They always had some nice bikes and put on a real class act.

ex119x said:
Dutchman Racing is the real deal. I was on the track with them many times back in the late 80's and early 90's endurance racing. I was always in the smaller classes, so I got to see them fairly often as they would pass me. They always had some nice bikes and put on a real class act.

Cool !

I remember them from the 80's-90's as well, as being a force to be reckoned with.
But when you mentioned Dutchman Racing, I knew I had seen the name again recently. Well, not real recently (4yrs ago), but at Barber '14 I tracked down local hero Jamie James in the paddock area. I was able to get this photo of him (and me) with his racebike...
FullSizeRender_zps4ade8bf2.jpg

Check the tank :)

I had a friend of the family who had more money than riding skill but tried AMA back in the day. Pretty sure it was Jamie James....passed him on the outside of a corner and placed a hand on my buddies leg as if to say....I'm over here don't mess up...and Jamie was gone by the next corner...lol

I knew Jamie pretty well back in the day. He started racing in the Southeast with Quick Sand and Gravel as his sponsor. Always loved that name. We hung out in the pits and went to dinner a fair amount back then. What a southern accent on that coonass. His mom and dad used to come to the races in the rv and make a big ole pot of jambalaya on saturday night and feed anybody that wanted to come around.

We were racing the 24 hrs of Nelson ledges one year, maybe 88 or 89, on a Katana 600 and I crashed in the middle of the last turn onto the straight. I ended up just sitting in the middle of the track with a concussion and separated shoulder, a little dazed and my back to traffic. I finally made it off the track, back to the pits and eventually to the hospital for a short visit. When I came back to the track Jamie came down to find me and see if I was OK, because he was the next bike through and had to pull up hard to avoid hitting me. I was wearing bright pink and grey leathers with bright green lettering on them, and Jamie said he saw the leathers in the middle of the track and ran off to avoid me. He was riding for Team Valvoline Suzuki at the time, the best endurance team in the country.
He was always good to hang out and have a beer with, a great guy.

Redbird said:
I remember them from the 80's-90's as well, as being a force to be reckoned with.
But when you mentioned Dutchman Racing, I knew I had seen the name again recently. Well, not real recently (4yrs ago), but at Barber '14 I tracked down local hero Jamie James in the paddock area. I was able to get this photo of him (and me) with his racebike...
FullSizeRender_zps4ade8bf2.jpg

Check the tank :)

Love the pic and the story. That is awesome Chris!

ex119x said:
I knew Jamie pretty well back in the day. He started racing in the Southeast with Quick Sand and Gravel as his sponsor. Always loved that name. We hung out in the pits and went to dinner a fair amount back then. What a southern accent on that coonass. His mom and dad used to come to the races in the rv and make a big ole pot of jambalaya on saturday night and feed anybody that wanted to come around.

We were racing the 24 hrs of Nelson ledges one year, maybe 88 or 89, on a Katana 600 and I crashed in the middle of the last turn onto the straight. I ended up just sitting in the middle of the track with a concussion and separated shoulder, a little dazed and my back to traffic. I finally made it off the track, back to the pits and eventually to the hospital for a short visit. When I came back to the track Jamie came down to find me and see if I was OK, because he was the next bike through and had to pull up hard to avoid hitting me. I was wearing bright pink and grey leathers with bright green lettering on them, and Jamie said he saw the leathers in the middle of the track and ran off to avoid me. He was riding for Team Valvoline Suzuki at the time, the best endurance team in the country.
He was always good to hang out and have a beer with, a great guy.

I have never raced but I love bike racing. It's one of the reasons I love to hear track stories like yours. If you can't be there then at least first person "no shit there I was" stories are awesome.

Its not too late to start racing. I'm 61 and still have a bunch of vintage race bikes and an SV650.

I started drag racing at over 60, and am thinking of building another AHRMA race bike for my 70th...

Probably have more fun racing at an older age. I tried WERA 600 production in my late 20's and it was full of idiots that should not have been out there...not fun !! Pick a good class and have fun...just stay away from the class full of kids wanting to be the next Rossi !

All the race talk is not lost on me. I've been thinking about it for some time now (just turned 51). I've been casually looking for a good used track suit in wookie size that would fit me. I'd like to take the YZF to track sessions. I was ( I don't teach anymore) a USPA multi rated professional skydiver for 20 years so I dig the speed and the passion racers have. Very similar to the skydiving community in ways. I've been riding since I was a kid but I'm kept humbled by plenty of other faster riders I know. I think track sessions would be a huge boost to my abilities.

Back
Top Bottom