1979 CB750F Tracker (maybe?)

KPSguy said:
The battery and wiring always a challenge on the Cafe and Brats. Hid a Gel battery in tail hump on my project. Reduced sized and CCA , flipped it sideways and used the OEM Honda battery holder trimmed down with OEM strap. Worked well. Changed all lights including Mini LED turn reduces amp draw.

That's good to hear! The Shorai is 210 CCA but I'm still weary of it just because I've never used one. They seem to handle the job just fine as long as it's above freezing

This one will only have an LED head light/tail light and a small LED-backed speedo so it won't be drawing much at all

To-do List as of 3/14:
Swing arm ✔
Mono shock ✔
Forks ✔
Move tank ✔
Sub frame ✔
Fit seat ✔

I can finally set this puppy on the ground and get a real feel for how it's coming along. Given how little I planned anything before hand, I couldn't be happier or more excited. Of course, it's got a completely different look and feel than original, and I understand it's not everyone's cup of tea, but the overall lines/stance/attitude of this thing is 100% exactly what I wanted. I'm only about half way, and have a ton of refinement to do, but this is the first time it has felt like an actual motorcycle since I started hacking it apart.

106817-130319150037-50521919.png

Editor's Notes: The swingarm angle is steep, but if my straight edge is as straight as I hope it is, chain drag shouldn't be an issue. The rear will be about an inch higher due to tire size. Final ride height/rake/trail will be fine tuned with suspension adjustments, as it currently sits well within reasonable handling figures now. Lastly, this was never designed with words like "comfort" or "practical" or "good idea" in mind - just good ol fashion fast and loud motorcycle debauchery. Thanks for giving my questionable taste a place to hang out ;D

Puts some tires and handle bars on it...just about ready to Go! Lol.
Take a couple ibuprofen before ya go, help ease Monkey butt.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Well worth the read, definitely be following this build it’s funny how they tend to evolve throughout the build. I’m digging the seat I had the same troubles blending the seat pan into the original tank.

That mono shock, fork conversion and fat back tyre look badass

Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON

Attachments

• IMG_4946.JPG
    IMG_4946.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 242
cb250nproject said:
Well worth the read, definitely be following this build it’s funny how they tend to evolve throughout the build. I’m digging the seat I had the same troubles blending the seat pan into the original tank.

Definitely looking mean Jordan. Your project is evolving into something really cool. Its neat how these projects morph into something other that our orginal ideas as they move along. Good stuff!

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Go the 750's...some cracking dohc builds shaping up very nicely at the moment - absolutely loving yours mate

cb250nproject said:

Thanks for stopping by! I've definitely been keeping up with your build and stealing some inspiration.

I'm still playing around with the fitment between the tank and seat, and trying to get them blended perfectly has been the most frustrating part by far. I'll probably leave them as two completely separate pieces to save my sanity and "because racecar"

KPSguy said:
Definitely looking mean Jordan. Your project is evolving into something really cool. Its neat how these projects morph into something other that our orginal ideas as they move along. Good stuff!

Jimbonaut said:
Go the 750's...some cracking dohc builds shaping up very nicely at the moment - absolutely loving yours mate

Thanks for the kind words fellas. I hope to keep plugging away and have her running and riding by early summer.

It seems like whenever I mark one thing off my list, two more get added to the bottom

Got the battery in and starting mocking up the box. It will be mostly solid sheet metal with the access coming from the top side. Once I get some metal moving I may end up with a trap door on the bottom, but hopefully I won't need to get to the battery very often. The tank pivots enough on the front mounts that I should be able to squeeze the battery in and out if I need to.

I picked up some 16ga sheet metal for the battery box and electronics tray. Currently trying to decide if I really need a metal brake for the bends, or if I should just cut and weld everything separately

This thing still makes me laugh

106817-190319101447-5070437.jpeg

Rear view - just enough space to hide behind the tank completely

106817-190319101448-5071384.jpeg

106817-190319101449-5072813.jpeg

Inside with the tank raised

106817-190319101450-5073817.jpeg

With the battery there, and the remaining electronics under the seat, I should be able to keep the wiring short and simple

cb250nproject said:
Very cool are you running a moto gadget m unit for the electrical?

Not yet, at least. I may spring for one if I can sell some more of the takeoff parts.

I'll be running a very cheap and simple custom race/chopper harness. Not as pretty or cool as the m unit, but hopefully getting the job done just as well

jordandogtown said:
Not yet, at least. I may spring for one if I can sell some more of the takeoff parts.

I'll be running a very cheap and simple custom race/chopper harness. Not as pretty or cool as the m unit, but hopefully getting the job done just as well

I did that at the start I used an ultima wiring kit but then realised it was set up for a twin not a four cylinder for the CDI modules had to get an M unit anyway. Something worth checking before you get the wiring loom.

A good alternative that won't break the bank is the Sparck moto FB-11 fuse block, I have a prototype that I used to rewire my GL1000 after it got trashed by a deer. It made the job a breeze and I've had it now for 3 seasons of riding with 0 issues. It's not as fancy smancy as the M-Unit but does a lot and makes custom wiring up a bike a lot easier.
http://www.sparckmoto.com/Content/images/products/89/1.jpg

plus if you need help, Matt(Sonrier) the owner is on DTT and is a super nice guy to deal with.

Thanks for the suggestions. I've been around the Sparck site a few times and will definitely be a customer one day - if nothing else just because of how active/helpful Sonrier is around these parts.

Luckily KY has a pretty rad system for motorcycle licensing, so I won't have any signals/dummy lights/horn/etc. Only the starter and two lights, maybe a switch or two. I thought about utilizing the stock harness since it's all there and unmodified, but nothing is set in stone. I just don't want to spend a ton of money for a system with a ton of options I won't be using

Well in that case you really just need to hack the crap out of the stock harness. The start/run part is really the easiest part to wire up and then just a head and tail light will be easy peasy.

Maritime said:
Well in that case you really just need to hack the crap out of the stock harness. The start/run part is really the easiest part to wire up and then just a head and tail light will be easy peasy.

*knocks on wood* ::)

I'm taking a break from the fabricating side and looking at some headlights. I definitely want LED but I just can't find any as attractive as the good ol fashioned lights

Sparck sells a bulb you can put in a standard bucket. They don't project as good as a true LED complete unit but they are better than the H4 or halogens and use less power. Allows you to keep the old school bucket but have LED. I have one from another manufacturer that I bought before Matt had his for sale. It has a fan which I don't like. Matt's has a heat sink strip instead so no noise and no chance of the fan failing.

I managed to find some shop time this weekend between warmer weather and March Madness. Since the Shorai weighs less than two pounds, I planned on making a quick and dirty battery box out of some thin sheet metal. I mocked everything up in cardboard and after seeing it laid out, realized it was in the perfect place for some really decent frame bracing. I don't know from experience, but have been told the older frames can flex and move around as they become the new weak point with modern suspension. Sounds good enough for me.

The closest metal supplier is about 30 minutes away so I dug some 3/16" plate out of my stash. It's way overkill for a battery box, and probably a little more than required for some bracing, but it was already there and I figured a few extra grams wouldn't hurt after losing so much weight elsewhere. You couldn't pry a cheeseburger away from my cold dead hands so I'm not too concerned about building a featherweight here.

With this design, I got a battery box, sub frame gussets, and horizontal frame bracing. 3 birds, 1 stone.

106817-250319105202-50912000.jpeg

106817-250319092013-5088175.jpeg

106817-250319092012-50872141.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom