XS750 Cafe Racer

Re: XS750 Cafe Racer new pics

I'll add some more pics later

Attachments

• 2 high res (1).jpg
    2 high res (1).jpg
    745 KB · Views: 297
Q: was all that tank polishing time worth it? or would you consider using this new spray chrome technique?

caferay said:
Q: was all that tank polishing time worth it? or would you consider using this new spray chrome technique?
I really like the look of a polished tank. The main problem is that they scratch very very easily. I havn't seen this spray chrome. n/quote]

Spray chrome is a method that chromes parts by deposition, not electrolysis. Its environmentally safe because it doesn't use any harsh chemicals or chromium waste.

The methods is similar to what is used in the glass industry to apply a coating to glass to make mirror.

You can use this to chrome anything, even bondo-filled metal and plastic.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A-1cTpSZ1l8

When I first saw this, I thought it was fake.

UK companies are doing this, and selling home kits.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yvtRYZ5EasA

There is a huge interest in many US states that have made traditional chroming too expensive due to specialized waste management and toxic disposal. This method was developed by a German company, Mercedes has used it for entire show cars.

chrome-mclaren-slr-11.jpg

It's not as strong as true chrome, but it's best considered like paint, so it needs to be urethane coated.

DSC00050.jpg

caferay said:
Spray chrome is a method that chromes parts by deposition, not electrolysis. Its environmentally safe because it doesn't use any harsh chemicals or chromium waste.

The methods is similar to what is used in the glass industry to apply a coating to glass to make mirror.

You can use this to chrome anything, even bondo-filled metal and plastic.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A-1cTpSZ1l8

When I first saw this, I thought it was fake.

UK companies are doing this, and selling home kits.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yvtRYZ5EasA

There is a huge interest in many US states that have made traditional chroming too expensive due to specialized waste management and toxic disposal. This method was developed by a German company, Mercedes has used it for entire show cars.

chrome-mclaren-slr-11.jpg

It's not as strong as true chrome, but it's best considered like paint, so it needs to be urethane coated.

DSC00050.jpg
It looks very impressive it would be a lot better than polishing the tank. Thanks for that

semmins said:
It looks very impressive it would be a lot better than polishing the tank. Thanks for that

The obvious application is with old motorcycle tanks. Previously, you could only really chrome a new tank. With this method, you can use a dinged-up tank, fill the dents, and still be able to chrome it. You can easily mix chrome and paint, without having to worry about paint sticking to chrome.

Of course, this means people are already over-doing it.

long_island_chrome_paint.jpg

I live in Socal, and have ridden several bikes with chrome tanks, to feel like I'm a roteserrie chicken by the time I got off the bike. Does this stuff put off the same heat as chrome??? I'm not a fan of chrome anyway, but just wondering if this stuff puts off the same amount of heat?

it's reflective, so it will reflect off infrared heat.

You could try something high-tech like tinting the clearcoat light blue so that IR waves do not get reflected.

My daughter has just taken some more pics for me

Attachments

• 1 high res.jpg
    1 high res.jpg
    964.4 KB · Views: 275
  • 3 (1).jpg
    3 (1).jpg
    519 KB · Views: 277
  • 6 (1).jpg
    6 (1).jpg
    468.9 KB · Views: 289
  • 7 high res.jpg
    7 high res.jpg
    959.9 KB · Views: 274
Took the bike out again Tuesday it seems better every time I ride it
Decided to change the fork oil. I use ATF at first but the forks where a bit to stiff
So changed for 10w fork oil
Big improvement

The bike sold on ebay last week
A courier has just picked it up and should be in Austria next week

You got a good price for it, saw it on ebay but never made the connection.

If your like me you'll be wishing never sold it but I needed to fund my next project.

I know this is an old thread so I hope you're still watching it.
I just bought an old XS750 Special last week as my next project and found this terrific build thread.
Just a quick question-I love the stance of this bike, did you lower the forks at all? I see that the rear shocks are 5mm shorter than standard.

The forks where pushed up through the yolks by 25mm.
I'm not sure of the length of the original shocks.
The shocks that came with the bike were not original and were replaced like for like.
From memory they were 330mm between centres, but I'm not sure.
I hope this helps. Let me know how you get on.

Thanks for the reply.
It never ceases to amaze me that a small drop like 25mm can make such a huge visual difference. I'm finding that now with my current project, a KLR650 (what the?) that I initially lowered 120mm all round, found it looked too long and low and raised it back up 10mm and it looks a lot better.
Anyway, I won't get onto the XS till next year but if it ends up even half as hot as yours I'll be happy.

Back
Top Bottom