DCC Electronic Mini Tach on 4 Cylinder

addisonsan

Hey all,

Brand new here and had a question about an electronic mini tach install. Wasn't able to find any info through search.

So I have a '89 Yamaha YX600 I'm working on and wanted to swap out the tach for this:

http://www.dimecitycycles.com/vintage-cafe-racer-caferacer-bobber-brat-chopper-custom-motorcycle-electronic-parts-mini-black-electronic-tach-tachometer-25-7000e.html

However, it is designed to work with a twin and I my bike has 4 cylinders. Anyone know if theres a way to make it work accurately on 4 cylinder? I've heard it will work if you hook it up to #1 coil?

Possible. Give it a try and see what happens. Worst case scenario is that the rev counter will show double the actual RPMs.

Alternately, anyone know of a tach in a similar style that is designed for 4 cylinder? Haven't seen anything that looks clean as of yet

Yea they were the ones that told me that they "have heard that it works wired to coil #1". Then they recommended I try here haha.

I would say it will work.

From my (limited) understanding it reads the pulse as each coil discharges. I don't think it would matter how many cylinders the bike has as long as you only hook it to one coil. It also shouldn't matter if the coil is a double output as both cylinders will be firing in time.

The whole cylinder amount for tachs comes from cars that use a distributor and only one coil. Since the coil will fire once for each cylinder the tach needs to match the cylinder amount to read correctly.

Actually, it does matter. Some bikes use a wasted spark system, so you're getting twice as many sparks as you would actually need. Almost all four cylinder bikes fall into this category.

Though as a corollary, it doesn't matter from to plug wire you attach the pickup. Cylinder one will get you the same results as two, three, or four. The tach will either work or it won't.

Back
Top Bottom