Android fans here?

M.B Co

Coast to Coast
Checking to see if there are any hardcore Android users here?

I'm talking users of rooted and romd devices, app developers, themers etc...

My new device is a LG G3 (Sprint Variant) Rooted with StumpRoot, Bumped w/TWRP, and Xposed plus many many modules.

I love Android. Had it since their first Motorola phone. I now have a Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 tablet that is the pope's poop.

Anyway I have always wondered about rooting and what not but never looked into it a whole lot. What are the advantages or uses for doing so?

SaltCityCafe said:
I love Android. Had it since their first Motorola phone. I now have a Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 tablet that is the pope's poop.

Anyway I have always wondered about rooting and what not but never looked into it a whole lot. What are the advantages or uses for doing so?

-Opens up certain system files to write, move or replace which is needed for certain applications
-Automate system features that a stock phone will not allow you to override
-Improve battery by using apps such as Wakelock Detector or Greenify. Stop or freeze system applications
-Remove carrier and phone mfg bloatware
-Block ads
-Install a custom recovery to back up the entire device
-Flash custom kernels to improve performance
-Install applications like Xposed to modify system features such as themes
-And of course install custom ROM's
-Unlock the native Wifi Hotspot in Android for free. Some mfg of devices or carriers block this and try to charge you for a feature that is built in Android

I used to have an android, rooted and all that shit.
Pain the the ass.
Constant updates, fixes, crashes, shit.
Back then I thought it was fun, now a days I would throw it against a wall.
Stock iphone these days and perfectly happy with it. It calls, texts, gets online and has tapatalk. What else do I need?

SONIC. said:
I used to have an android, rooted and all that shit.
Pain the the ass.
Constant updates, fixes, crashes, shit.
Back then I thought it was fun, now a days I would throw it against a wall.
Stock iphone these days and perfectly happy with it. It calls, texts, gets online and has tapatalk. What else do I need?
I don't see it being a pain. Updates? To what ROM nightlys? Must of been an old school gingerbread device. Android is far superior and just as stable as iOS.
Root and modding Android is not for everyone.

Sent from my LGLS990 using Tapatalk

M.B Co said:
I don't see it being a pain....
...Root and modding Android is not for everyone.

Sent from my LGLS990 using Tapatalk

Sonic,
You just have to like to do it, the same as building bikes. I also consider myself a advanced android user (Galaxy S3, rooted and what not) I do enjoy not having to wait for Samsung to develop (makeup ) certain version or update for my android device when I can get the latest whenever it is released by Google.

If it's too much of a hassle keep your iPhone (or any stock phone of sorts) and be happy, I'll be happy here with my rooted android flashing stuff. I think it's as simple as choosing Honda or yamaha, some may like one, some may like make the other, everyone with their respective reasons, it's a matter or preference and finding what you like and works for you

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

To me my phone is a tool. Used for business and personal. It has to be reliable and always ready to use.

If you've only got one bike you don't do an engine rebuild in the middle of riding season.

SONIC. said:
To me my phone is a tool. Used for business and personal. It has to be reliable and always ready to use.

I completely agree. They're simple to use and just work well. They've also been more durable from my experience too.

I'm not trying to force any choice here.

As I said before, if you like your iPhone, rock it. I do like how my custom android works as a tool the way I have it customized.

It is true that sometimes, flashing roms could be messy, but once you have done it a few times, you'll do it naturally. For me the benefits outweigh the drawbacks (there's always drawbacks, Android or not) and I'm willing to take the risk in favor of being free of doing what I want and I am able to do with my phone.

Flashing roms has become so much more "plug and play" than it was when gingerbread was around, also making the process a lot less trouble prone, as it's easier for the users.

Anyway, I respect the reliability that iOS has. No doubt. Those phones are serious powerplants, but for certain things you can't beat android. This premise also works the other way around.

Well said sir and I completely agree.

To touch base on how easy and plug and play modifying Android has become. The G3 is rooted by simply side loading a APK. Boom.

For me, a rooted and custom firmware Android device is a must as I rely heavily on features that you simply cannot get in a stock smartphone. And no way in hell Apple would ever be able to do it.

If you haven't already try Carbon rom. I've been running it for 2 years on my S3. I've since upgraded to a LG G3 and patiently waiting on a AOSP 5.0 which I believe will run amazing on the G3. datLollipopanimations

I had a SGS1 (i9000) previous to the S3, and since the I've been a slim rom fan.

I purchased the SGS1 two years after release, it was a good sale price, and the phone worked for two and a half years (4 year lifespan, technologically speaking), those being the first six months on stock rom and the subsequent time on slim, which revamped the phone to an extent that was certainly unparalleled performance compared to the stock rom.

Since then I've been using slim as my primary rom, as it's reliable, fast and shaved of all the bloatware that OEM roms have. I only flash stable releases as I only have the SGS3 at the moment and can't be messing with my DD. Another big plus about using slim, is the giant support network they have come to structure, which can save your assistance and money when you screw up things.

I want to hear more about that carbon rom, is there any features that could make me change my mind.?

What features of a cell phone do you heavily rely on that you cannot do in root? I can take backups of my android tablet and iphone without having root access on it.

M.B Co said:
For me, a rooted and custom firmware Android device is a must as I rely heavily on features that you simply cannot get in a stock smartphone. And no way in hell Apple would ever be able to do it.

Let me preface this with: I honestly dont give a shit what kind of phone anyone has or why they do what they do.

Just for shits and giggles what does your android do rooted and rom'd that you rely heavily upon?

Freeze apps that are consuming ram, battery, cpu, etc.
Run apks from SD (small storage devices)
Delete any app I want, system or not

These are few of the basic rooted phone features that are provided by third party apps (Ti Back Up and similar)

I live in Venezuela, and I download A LOT, so I have a torrent program on the pc and a manager for the phone, I just need a "pirate Bay browser" and to click on the links, then the phone and the pc take care of the rest. Whenever I remember I want to download some sort of downloadable media, I just navigate, click, and by the time I get home, is already downloaded. For example.

Developer's options, customizing, what I've just posted about, try apks before buying them, longer battery life, WiFi access point sharing, further sliming of the rom/OS, shortcuts in many places you weren't able to put them on initially. There are so many possibilities with a rooted phone.

You preface is certainly correct and I think that way too, but what I don't get is, why you question the fact that a rooted android is not the best option for me.

dualero said:
I had a SGS1 (i9000) previous to the S3, and since the I've been a slim rom fan.

I purchased the SGS1 two years after release, it was a good sale price, and the phone worked for two and a half years (4 year lifespan, technologically speaking), those being the first six months on stock rom and the subsequent time on slim, which revamped the phone to an extent that was certainly unparalleled performance compared to the stock rom.

Since then I've been using slim as my primary rom, as it's reliable, fast and shaved of all the bloatware that OEM roms have. I only flash stable releases as I only have the SGS3 at the moment and can't be messing with my DD. Another big plus about using slim, is the giant support network they have come to structure, which can save your assistance and money when you screw up things.

I want to hear more about that carbon rom, is there any features that could make me change my mind.?

Slim is great and actually has all the same features as Carbon I believe. Active Display, SlimPie etc...I just like how Carbon organizes their options with Carbon Fibers and their stability. I'm in the same boat as you for a reliable DD rom. Carbon is my Slim to you...if that makes sense.

I'm a nightly flashaholic, so once a new nightly is made each day I flash it or wait till the end of the week.

Lazloh,

Here are a few examples of what I need out of root

-Unlock the native WiFi tether feature in Android: This makes the device a Wifi HotSpot. Smartphone mfg's and carriers lock this feature or make you pay for it
-Custom kernels to improve battery life and over and underclock the cpu
-Assign buttons to do certain tasks that a stock phone will not let you do such as volume to skip tracks, long press for flashlight when the phone is locked/screen off.
-Voice or gps automation with Tasker. I can literally control my house with my phone with 1 app by manually inputting data

Backups without root does not backup the entire .img file of the rom. Yes you can backup data and apps but not system wide

Iphone on t-mobile pre-pay plan. I have wifi on a stock iphone.... maybe you have the wrong carrier then.

Both tablet and iphone last all day. (when I ran a rooted samsung... the battery life was worse than the stock rom)

Assigning buttons sounds handy... I just don't understand how this is something you "heavily rely on"

Tasker is available without root on android.

Its just the "heavily rely on" comment that has me thrown off...

LazloH said:
Iphone on t-mobile pre-pay plan. I have wifi on a stock iphone.... maybe you have the wrong carrier then.

Both tablet and iphone last all day. (when I ran a rooted samsung... the battery life was worse than the stock rom)

Assigning buttons sounds handy... I just don't understand how this is something you "heavily rely on"

Tasker is available without root on android.

Its just the "heavily rely on" comment that has me thrown off...

Same.
To me root/rom is about "Look what I did, look at my fancy looking homescreen that doesn't look like yours, look at my apps open in .003 seconds less than yours"

Don't get me wrong.. I rely heavily on my phone as well. GPS, Calls, internet, candy crush.

I do a lot of repairs on android devices too... for some reason I end up with a lot of botched root attempts.

LazloH said:
Don't get me wrong.. I rely heavily on my phone as well. GPS, Calls, internet, candy crush.

I do a lot of repairs on android devices too... for some reason I end up with a lot of botched root attempts.

This would be my concern. Having never rooted a device I would be afraid of fu king something up and losing everything.

How easy is it to root one and what all is involved? Maybe a little quick primer on how to do all this is in order.

I am also a bit confused about how it will totally rptransform how you use your phone over stock.

Back
Top Bottom