1977 CB750 Deviant Hell Ride

irk miller

You've been mostly-dead all day.
DTT BOTM WINNER
Here we go...

I made a trade with a pal, Mr. E. I passed off my CB360 and he passed off his arch nemesis, this CB750, a bunch of parts and an XL250 motor. It's a trade amongst friends and considering we grew up just on opposite sides of the NC/SC border from each other, it's a trade amongst neighbors.

For now, it rests in the Cafe Racer section because (for now) that's what it basically is. I have a feeling it will end up closer to a tracker, while I've had the fleeting thought of a hardtail chop. A Cafe/Tracker blend is what I'm most leaning towards.

The story begins with a bunch of parts. I'm going to try to run a KZ750 front end with GPZ mags. It has a CB550T tank and a seat passed on from Retro Moto. I also have a Mr. E Machining top triple for a CB750, which means I will seriously look at returning to the CB750 front end. If nothing else, but because I know that will work. I also have the triple from a CB650, which appears to have the exact offset. If that works, then the CB750 front becomes more likely.

tumblr_o3ddkvEI4h1rpqcqko1_540.jpg

Finnigan said:
So if you don't plan on using that tank, dibs?
Definitely using that tank, hombre. That is, no doubt, the best tank Honda made.

I used that same tank on my 750 build, a couple mods to the frame and it fits on nice. I'll be watching this build.

Tune-A-Fish said:
Whats up with the little blue honda tank takin up space on the mopar?
Just sitting there. I'm not going to use it. It's from a '78 XL175 parts bike I bought for it's kick starter shaft. It needs cleaned and has a dent in the front corner, right where the tank goes over the frame top tube. You can kind'a see it in the pic where the two rust spots are.

Work has begun figuring out the front end. This is an initial mockup to get the KZ750 front end sorted on this machine. From here, the trail seems like it might be a little long. Still, the look is about right. I need the right axle to do this right, as I currently have a KZ750 axle but no GPZ axle.

Now, the fairing I was messing with on the GL is on it's rightful machine. This is what it was made for.

Also talking to Junior about the seat. Right now, I'm just looking at options for him to alter it. Mainly, I want the gap at the tank filled and more of an upsweep at the rear baseline.

11060851_10206282446089353_494966908814941368_n.jpg

Those center stands make all front ends look long until you get the weight down on them. That fairing does look sweet on that bike. Check out the guys at Cognito Moto, his bikes and parts are sweet. Need to rob a bank to buy his front end conversions though. With clients like Katee Sackhoff and The Walking Dead... His bike are super expensive. But he's got some cool ideas.

Looks great Eric.........you're building quite the stable.

Man you come up with the wildest deals.

I like those wheels. Keep up the good work.

If, I ever get anything I own road worthy again, we'll have to hook up for a ride around Metro Augusta.... :D

budlite282 said:
Looks great Eric.........you're building quite the stable.

Man you come up with the wildest deals.

I like those wheels. Keep up the good work.

If, I ever get anything I own road worthy again, we'll have to hook up for a ride around Metro Augusta.... :D
Thanks, Bud. No doubt we'll ride.

I can see a gallon of midnight oil going into this one... Looks killer, double take "CB"? KZ"? hmm what was that? haha.

Looks a bit raked at first glance, but the stand comment may be why... what's the wheel base where she sits? 57.2-3 for later years is stock spec and rake and trail is 63/3.7 in

Attachments

• CB750 spec.JPG
    CB750 spec.JPG
    66.3 KB · Views: 584
Tune-A-Fish said:
I can see a gallon of midnight oil going into this one... Looks killer, double take "CB"? KZ"? hmm what was that? haha.

Looks a bit raked at first glance, but the stand comment may be why... what's the wheel base where she sits? 57.2-3 for later years is stock spec and rake and trail is 63/3.7 in
Thanks for this. Good stuff. The wheel base will a bit difficult to determine, as the rear swinger is also KZ. I assume it's just a matter of finding the difference between the KZ and CB swingers to figure out the numbers. I'm not sure there is much of (if any) a difference, except the KZ swinger shock mount is slightly further back than the CB's. I'm trying to figure out if I need to move the mount forward or go with what I have.

Back
Top Bottom