'78 CB400TII "Lucy" (NEW PIPES!!!)

yayuppp

Been Around the Block
Found on Craigslist for $100. Previous ownder says he had all the wiring tested and narrowed it down to the ignition coil. It turns over with compression. Let the project begin!

IMG_1067.jpg

IMG_1069.jpg

Got 'er home and started tering it down.
IMG_1073.jpg

IMG_1072.jpg

The original goal was to get the motor out of the frame and break it down. But I decided I would rebuild the carbs first and get a new igntion coil and see if it really runs.

IMG_1075.jpg

205eaa95.jpg

b5962bd3.jpg

One carb was nasty, the other in pretty good shape.
IMG_1078.jpg

IMG_1084.jpg

IMG_1085.jpg

b401842b.jpg

Well that's it for now. I'll be ordering the rebuild kits in the next couple of days. Then ignition coil.

Couple of questions

Are there any alternatives screws I can use on the carbs? I was thinking about using Allen screws but not sure what to look for when I buy them... I want to eventually use them throughout the bike, I really like the look of them. Also, are there other ignition coils I can use and get away with? The only inexpensive ones I have found are used and have broken caps and wires. And then I'm not sure sure how long they would last. Brand new Honda ones are pretty expensive.

Re: '78 CB400

yayuppp said:
Are there any alternatives screws I can use on the carbs? I was thinking about using Allen screws but not sure what to look for when I buy them... I want to eventually use them throughout the bike, I really like the look of them. Also, are there other ignition coils I can use and get away with? The only inexpensive ones I have found are used and have broken caps and wires. And then I'm not sure sure how long they would last. Brand new Honda ones are pretty expensive.

You should be able to find some stainless steel metric allen cap screws at a local hardware store like I did.

-The float bowl screws are: PAN, 4X16
-The screws for the top bracket that spaces the carbs are: PAN,5X12
-The screws for the top vacuum cap are: PAN,5X16
-The screws for the bottom front bracket that spaces the carbs are: PAN,6X16

Check some of the fiche/parts diagrams (like this one http://www.cmsnl.com/honda-cb400tii-1978-usa_model7218/partslist/E++19.html ) to make sure where they go, or take the screws with you to the hardware store. At the very least, you should be able to find some regular phillips stainless screws.

Not sure about the coils, mine have worked fine. This bike is kind of the black sheep of the older honda bikes. It's a bit tougher to find parts for them.

Do a search but I think the coil on this bike is the same as the ones from other honda bikes of the same vintage.. There are a lot of parts that cross over on these to like CX500's and some of the 750's etc. You may be able to run one CB750. I have not needed to replace mine, and I have a spare, but some other parts I have and I could find them listed for other bikes easier than this one. Check the fiches for the CB400 and get the part # and see if it matchs one on the CB750 or CX500 etc.

Thanks for the input guys! I was starting to wonder if I was ever going to get a response.

I downloaded a manual for free, it's kind of got me going in the right direction.

I'll ask my room mate if I can borrow one of his coils of his 750 that he's working on to see if it runs.

It's tough to keep up with all the builds these days. I have to search my favorites out any more.

These bikes, when done right, can be pretty cool. Good luck on the startup.

IMG_20110406_111158.jpg
IMG_20110406_111147.jpg

these tanks look real good with knee dents. heres one i did this winter

They also look good with knee pads, Check out Swapmeet Louis bike of the month nominee it was a hawk when it started.

Nice green machine BTW.

AS for coils, I did a wuick search and the CX and CB750 are different coils. Not sure if they will work. I bet there is an aftermarket coil you can get, just haven't found one yet.

Re: '78 CB400TII -UPDATE

I ohmed the stator and it is fine. Soaked one carb in simple green, the primary main jet was stuck. Ended up stripping out the head of the jet so I had to drill it out. I'm soaking the primary jet on the second carb in PB Blaster before I bath it in simple green.

I still have to find an igntion coil. And figure out a new wire harness.

Here is the ol' girl for now. Just made a work bench/table.
636f10bd.jpg

Re: '78 CB400TII

A little update of where I'm at in the build.

Ordered:
ignition coil
igntion switch
intake boots
pod filters
oil filter

I've also been working on mocking up a seat.
cbfc1581.jpg

4a491c1e.jpg

This thing has such a wide ass on it... Trying to figure out how to make it sleak and cafe-ish. (pay no attention to the "rough" knee dents; those will be body filled)

And representing here!
26398c3a.jpg

Also, I had to drill out the primary main jet on the first carb. Threads got a little kinked, so I'm going to run a tap through there to straighten them out. Hopefully I didn't fubar anything. Can anyone suggest what jets to run with pod filters and short/open pipes? Second carb is bathing in simple green right now.

This is what you should do next. Sell your bike, and give all the money to your roommate so he can complete his build.

Just a thought ;D

QUESTION:

Has anyone made custom length cables? First, I want a shorter choke cable. I don't want it all the way up by the controls; more like under the tank somerwhere. And from what I've heard, using different bars can cause problems.

Second, I want something custom like diffrent colors other than black. Thanks for the help.

Polished/Unpolished
1d9324db.jpg

Going to put a little more time into the polishing.
Pieced together.
697d126f.jpg

Still need to paint, install jets, and find allens to fit.

My local menards has 4x16 socket cap screws for 50 cents each. That's what I'll be using for the stripped stock replacements.

I'm with ya man! We have a Fastenal place a couple of blocks from here. I want (almost) every bolt to be allens on this bike. But for now I just want to hear it fire up!

Cut some of the frame off. Mostly pictures. A lot of man hours going into polishing the carb parts right now...

IMG_0169.jpg

College kids' "shop."

IMG_0167.jpg

Lining up lines. That sounds weird saying out aloud.

IMG_0164.jpg

This one made me smile.

IMG_0163.jpg

Fat bottom girls make the world go round.

IMG_0161.jpg

I can just picture it now...

(ignore the knee dents, those will be fixed.)

Back
Top Bottom