81'CM400 The green monster

NvgtrWiggles said:
What's up with that rear brake mount?
Didn't realize what you were asking,that is a pocketbike transmission that operates the brakes. I thought you were asking bout the brake stay.
john83 said:
thanks John
legitmw said:
What tank is that on your first bike?
Its one that I built.

NvgtrWiggles there are closeups of the mechanisms in my feature on Pipeburn. http://www.pipeburn.com/home/2013/3/10/retro-motos-81-honda-cm400.html

Did you manage to get the bike running correctly with the stock carbs and pods? If so, what did you do to make it work? I'm not in the position to get flat slide carbs at the moment and would love to make the stock ones work with pods if possible for now.

Dannomite said:
Did you manage to get the bike running correctly with the stock carbs and pods? If so, what did you do to make it work? I'm not in the position to get flat slide carbs at the moment and would love to make the stock ones work with pods if possible for now.
Ya,it's running the stock carbs and its been ported n polished,my buddies I ride with most of the time ride 750+cc bikes. I have no problem keeping up with them. When you're ready let me know n I'll walk you through it.

Looking at the clip ons you made just inspired me to make my own. Not a lot of selection for 39mm forks, any advice before I start cutting and welding? I'm using 44.45 mm x 3.05 mm x 38.35 mm, which I'll be cutting a gap in and opening for the forks and 22.22 mm x 2.41 mm x 17.4 mm, ie 7/8ths for the bars.

MrVito said:
Looking at the clip ons you made just inspired me to make my own. Not a lot of selection for 39mm forks, any advice before I start cutting and welding? I'm using 44.45 mm x 3.05 mm x 38.35 mm, which I'll be cutting a gap in and opening for the forks and 22.22 mm x 2.41 mm x 17.4 mm, ie 7/8ths for the bars.
its all pretty straightforward,but if you're wanna angles the bars down its good to make a fixture to hold them so they will be exact.

Junior Burrell said:
its all pretty straightforward,but if you're wanna angles the bars down its good to make a fixture to hold them so they will be exact.

Cool, I'll see about making a basic jig for it, thanks man.

I was invited to bring my bike to The One Show/Austin. So i got crazy and decided to make a full fairing out of aluminum.(since i ditched it in the beginning but still had planned to build one) I had 6 days til the show(I'm crazy I know)but somehow i pulled it off the night before. I also built a fork brace out of 350 chevy connecting rods,I'll show them first.

Attachments

• fb1.jpg
    fb1.jpg
    148.8 KB · Views: 1,042
  • fb2.jpg
    fb2.jpg
    129.1 KB · Views: 1,068
  • f1.jpg
    f1.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 1,068
  • f2.jpg
    f2.jpg
    120.8 KB · Views: 1,054
More fairing!!

Attachments

• f6.jpg
    f6.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 1,058
  • f5.jpg
    f5.jpg
    124.8 KB · Views: 1,067
  • f4.jpg
    f4.jpg
    121.7 KB · Views: 1,058
  • f3.jpg
    f3.jpg
    115.7 KB · Views: 1,048
As stated before, the fairing is gorgeous. What mm is the fork brace you built? I would like to add one to my gs450 but the pickings are slim or rediculous $$$$$$$$$$$. Shoot me a PM with what would be required and pricing on the brace type you did. Seems like minimal work for someone with a welder if the sizing would work.

Gary

Had a great time at The One Show,when I got home I painted racing stripes down the front and added stickers. Not just any old stickers,all the stickers are for local shops n people I know. Then i realized I neeeded a headlight,but didn't want to cut a whole in the front. So i decided to build a 2" light out of copper to mount from the fender mount location. i used 2" copper pipe and a 45 degree fitting. i then cut them down,reshaped,and tig welded it back together with copper.

Attachments

• f7.jpg
    f7.jpg
    104.8 KB · Views: 1,086
  • f8.jpg
    f8.jpg
    102.8 KB · Views: 1,144
  • cl1.jpg
    cl1.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 1,157
  • cl2.jpg
    cl2.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 1,143
Rich Ard said:
Ha ha! That lamp must get hot as blazes...
Not really,its air cooled,lol. I've ridden 30+ miles with it on and when I get off I can still touch it. Thanks for the kind words everyone.

Junior, that fairing is awesome! Maybe one day I can get to that level.

johnu said:
Junior, that fairing is awesome! Maybe one day I can get to that level.
Thanks Johnu,you are definitely on your way man. Can't wait to see your bike all finished up. gonna be insanely gorgeous!!!

Back
Top Bottom