1967 250 Harley/Aermacchi Sprint SS

Texasstar

Can't is a four letter dirty word
So our journey continues Japanese, Spanish, and now an Italian lady that likes to wear a Harley jacket.

Our paint supplier told us we needed to go see his dad so we did. John was looking for someone to pass on his beloved sprint to. He bought this Harley Sprint 250cc SS in 1967. She has been garage kept and covered since 1985.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 384
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    205.4 KB · Views: 854
In 1967 Aermacchi came out with the short stroke SS and H model. John put over 25k miles on this little gal. Along with the bike came spares, cigar boxes, magazines, and manuals.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 368
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 375
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    817 KB · Views: 405
As y'all know we can't say no to a lonely motorcycle. This little gal is cosmetically looking fine after 48 years however she is currently seized. This is our first push rod engine. Should be a little easier than our first bike Lucky a cb200 who required sister sledge and had an overhead cam. This little filly has an aluminum head with a cast dome combustion chamber.

Some more pictures.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 372
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 363
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 347
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 365
im in. my parents neighbors have had an old sprint sitting outside for years. I keep thinking I need to try to buy it. How this project goes may confirm that thought =)

hurco550 said:
im in. my parents neighbors have had an old sprint sitting outside for years. I keep thinking I need to try to buy it. How this project goes may confirm that thought =)
Cool...the Harley/Aermacchi came on our radar when we watched Dave Roper (isle of man winner) school the rest of his class a few years ago at the Barber.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

if I remember right, they did one on an episode of café racer. The guy cut all the fins off of the head and smoothed it all out I think?

Either way, nice find and good luck to ya

I was looking at that spec sheet and it says your short stroke motor has a 72mm piston.. ::) By the looks of that outer jug you could possibly fit at least a 100mm+ race piston in that bike... ;D right? :)

That exhaust doesn't look stock :)

grcamna5 said:
I was looking at that spec sheet and it says your short stroke motor has a 72mm piston.. ::) By the looks of that outer jug you could possibly fit at least a 100mm+ race piston in that bike... ;D right? :)

That exhaust doesn't look stock :)
you are correct the exhaust is not stock neither is the air cleaner, headlight, or the superhawk luggage rack. :) We have the original stock piston and it is a brick! So this has a redline of 7250 and runs out of air at 8kish but they can turn 10k ;) I have been reading how to build and Aermacchi Racer http://flashbackfab.com/how-to-build-a-racer/

hurco550 said:
if I remember right, they did one on an episode of café racer. The guy cut all the fins off of the head and smoothed it all out I think?

Either way, nice find and good luck to ya
Thank you we watched that cafe racer episode and really liked that knucklehead polished look. However shortening the frame was questionable. Love the H model tank! I think this head was only used in 67 and they returned to the knuckle head look in 68.

Texasstar said:
Thank you we watched that cafe racer episode and really liked that knucklehead polished look. However shortening the frame was questionable. Love the H model tank! I think this head was only used in 67 and they returned to the knuckle head look in 68.

You have the desirable model/year for that bike 8)

Texasstar said:
you are correct the exhaust is not stock neither is the air cleaner, headlight, or the superhawk luggage rack. :) We have the original stock piston and it is a brick! So this has a redline of 7250 and runs out of air at 8kish but they can turn 10k ;) I have been reading how to build and Aermacchi Racer http://flashbackfab.com/how-to-build-a-racer/

That's a nice tutorial. :)

Q said:
Patrick, your not far off from having your signature take up a page.....

Cheers
Q my wife says it in a different way by saying she has too many motorcycles in her sunroom. She was so cute on this find cause she was all in on the negotiations.

This is all Kops fault. He told me one day when we were working on Lucky "you need some parts bikes" then Zeke and I bought 3-CB/cl175 and a sl100 for four hundred bucks, two cb200 and a cl200 for 600 bucks. Somehow we picked up a cb160 and cl160 and two Bultacos.

The parts bikes told us one day that they had a dream while being in he scrap yard. One wanted to do the ton and the other one wanted to be modern with a vintage feel.

We got the cb200 and cl200 running with minimal expense. The cl200 is called scrappy and shows off for the neighborhood kids. I quit using Tapatalk because it doesn't have the tag lines in it. Which is one of the best parts of DTT! https://youtu.be/4MJeHwtw0BU

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Love this! Leave engine in chassis! Everything is metric!
Remove fuel line
Remove tank
Remove valve cover 3 valve cover nuts 14mm
Remove oil line 14mm
Remove exhaust bolt 12 mm
Remove carb slide
Remove 4 head bolts
God I am loving this so far...

d752bc1338b90552cc3f15a7002981f2.jpg
794bf3357582c6d0b993d0d401c5a6ed.jpg
21a177b22fe777f378a016b4c11bd3f6.jpg
301114f84efe124d29d1d0824f26a04b.jpg
100d0ee2fa56fa3397fc1b9800a1fbe6.jpg

"The Aermacchi engineers need to be beaten severely. There is almost no room to get to the head bolts on this bike. I had to take a 17 mm box wrench and grind it to less than 1/2 it's thickness to get the head bolts off. and back on. " http://www.3cyl.com/hd/

Any other ideas there than removing the rocker arms? Lol

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Or as my friend Benjamin says let's make a tool for that!

a box end 17mm extended reach will break the head nuts loose in a Harley/Aermacchi sprint that are under the rocker arms and then I drilled a hole through a 17mm socket to do the rest.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 335
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 334
Back
Top Bottom