original H2 or RE5?

dakota.morgan91

Sorry if this is in the wrong spot. So as we sit here and wait for parts or inspiration we of course start dreaming about the next project! ::)

This week I have stumbled across two unique bikes that I had no idea even existed that I am now mesmerized by!
The rocket of a bike, kawasaki two stroke H2
and the Suzuki RE5

My question is which would you choose to restore and cruise around on.
They both seem to have significant upsides and some significant flaws as well (smooth power v.s. damned apex seals, two stroke goodness v.s. inadequate frame)

H2. I'll say I've never rode either, but for the simple fact that you can get parts for the H2 still and you would have a hard time with the wankel. Plus, from what I've read, the re5 was pretty anemic, heavy and slow.

Not to mention,nothing beats the sound of a smoker triple. That's not opinion, that's a fact ;)

I've heard that about the RE5 as well. My boss's friend had a H2, he's was telling me some of the crazy stories about how fast that bike was for its day, and how psycho the friend riding it was. LOL
Both are incredibly difficult to find now too.

How good of a deal/what shape are they in? Some Suzuki guys need a re5 to complete their collection. If you buy it right, you could sell it for some profit to the right guy and have some folding money for the h2.

Hurco is right. RE5 to me is a collectible. It's so similar to a GT750 chassis and yet it weighs a ton or so more. Very unique, if you will pardon the redundancy there, and highly collectible. Much more so than the H2 in many ways.

Personally I prefer light bikes and don't collect, so for a rider, the H2 wins hands down.

The H2 I'd feel better cruising around on but the RE5 would always sit because I'd be worried about breaking something that's unobtanium.. Bikes are meant to RIDE not sit and if I had an H2 it would be on the road all the time ;) Can you get either bike locally ?

If neither of the bikes are running you could be in for a 2nd mortgage if you have to rebuild the engines. Probably more so with the RE5 (if you can even get parts for it anymore).

The whole "2 strokes are simple" thing is all good and well but if you have to rebuild a crank on a triple you're talking $$$.

I don't wanna dump on the RE5, but it looks like it's the h2 in a landslide. ;) ;D

Don't believe all you hear about the h2 frame. It's more about the details of suspension, wheels, tires, etc. that gave the h2 it's "Widowmaker" rep. My h2 has a stock un-braced or modified frame, but well sorted wheels, tires, brakes, suspension and tires. Goes like a bullet and handles as well on the street or track as any mid-70's machine anywhere. 8)

Yes. They do sound fantastic. :D

Barber 2015

ok, so I'm not buying one just dreaming at the moment LOL! Just wanted some convo. I have two projects already under way. I do have a couple H2's locally tho that are available. (upstate NY), but they were the lower capacities like the 350. And there were 3 RE5's two running, one show condition one needing a resto and a junker for parts.

dakota.morgan91 said:
ok, so I'm not buying one just dreaming at the moment LOL! Just wanted some convo. I have two projects already under way. I do have a couple H2's locally tho that are available. (upstate NY), but they were the lower capacities like the 350. And there were 3 RE5's two running, one show condition one needing a resto and a junker for parts.

Just a tease, eh? O'k, whatever. ::)

So just for clarification, those Kawasaki's aren't h2's if they're 350's. There were a number of 2 stroke Triples that were sold. A variety of S and KH-series came in 250, 350, 400 and 500cc's. The H-series were h1 500's and the h2 750.

All of the 2 stroke triples are cool, but the h2 is a 750 and probably the most desirable of them all. 8)

As well, Suzuki made a series of 2 stroke triples as well. They're worth looking at if you find one in your neighbourhood. I'm no xpert on them but I believe they came in 380, 550 and 750cc versions. The 750 was water-cooled and even has electric start! Very different! :D

Happy dreams! ;) :D

Drewski said:
I believe they came in 380, 550 and 750cc versions. The 750 was water-cooled and even has electric start! Very different! :D

This is correct =)

Back
Top Bottom