$50 mod thread

I think this is gonna be like Herm's rearsets. It isn't DTT if it isn't rocking DIY Herm rearsets, and tWistedWheelz headlight brackets!

Herm21 said:
It's amazing what can be thought up with an apple jacks box down in the dirty south! That's some good shit right dar wheelz!! I'll definetely be giving this a try!! Kudos brother.

Don't forget the whiskey! It took a bit to get to that point of the design!

I am a bit like a salt shaker filled with ideas, most of them crap, but I keep shaking until something good comes out!

BUILT NOT BOUGHT!

tWistedWheelz said:
Don't forget the whiskey! It took a bit to get to that point of the design!

I am a bit like a salt shaker filled with ideas, most of them crap, but I keep shaking until something good comes out!

BUILT NOT BOUGHT!
DAMN STRAIGHT!!!!
I may blow you shit about your drill bits... but you're tallents are AWESOME... and to the whiskey!!

Swagger said:
Ok here's one. I was pretty skeptical when tire beads were mentioned by another member as I'd had no experience with them. I went round and round in my own head until a local shop started offering 'active balancers' in place of standard lead weights.
I had a chance for a quick ride on Dad's Sprint ST (2007) with the commercial bead balancers and I gotta say I'm fairly impressed. Seems to be just as smooth as a tire balanced the in the standard manner.

I expected some noise but really with the helmet on and the (OEM) exhaust song I could perceive nothing. Nor do they affect the 'feel' in any way that I could tell.

So here's a cheap way especially for the DIY guys out there who mount their own rubber.
Go grab yourself a jug of 6mm Airsoft BBs, the higher weight the better. They are CHEAP, more or less perfectly round and the plasitc they are composed of won't chew anything up when they are pinging around inside the tire.
I talked to the guy that did the tires for Dad (known him for years) and he told me to get the airsoft BBs....he's almost certain that what they use in the shop are just repackaged airsoft rounds. Cooool! As a guideline he suggested 58grams in a 190/17 rear, and 40grams for a typical 130/17 front. That's probably a safe place to start, jsut adjust to suit.

Now this generally applied to tubeless tires but I remember doing all sorts of goofy things to the tube in my dirtbikes to make'm hold up...right up to anti-freeze to help seal up punctures. I suppose one could cut a small entry point into the wall of the tube, add the bbs then patch. Having patched several hundred (at least it felt that way) in the mud on the side of a trail, it doesn't seem like that much of a stretch to me. You may have other feelings about the evils of tube tires....your call.

Have fun and enjoy a nice smooth ride!

I put Dynabeads in a tube tire. the manufacturer instructs putting the beads in through the valve stem. You unscrew the valve from the stem and pour them in that way. Are the BB's you're talking about too big to do this with?

i had brown water loud tank (rust) after lots of attempts, nuts and bolts, rinsing, wd40, muriatic acid, over and over and over.
what works on STEEL and not ALUMINUM is dollar store "the works " toilet bowl cleaner!! it has the highest concentration of some wicked dangerous chemical ever in it. and

my tank came out completely spotless after using it 100 percent strength, soaking an hour, then adding water to fill, 5 min, and dump it all down the toilet, then i just mixed a little baking soda, in water and switched it around to neutralize the acid, water to get out the baking soda, then dry with towel or hair dryer (both) and fog it with wd40 or motor oil or trans fluid, whatever is on hand to protect. or if you are ready you can fill it with gas to keep the flash rust from returning.

two most important things to do
1 do not do this at all if you have an aluminum cap, tank or petcock take them of and wait until dry before replacing them on the tank. if not then at the end you will have a puddle of metal and likely a good size acid burn from the leak, this stuff eats aluminum,
2 the baking soda and oil to protect are crucial don't do them and in minutes you will have black oxidization and have to re rinse or start over
3 BE CARE-full and do this as if you were using a powerful chemical to dissolve metal because you are!!!!

for more reading i saw a long post about tank cleaning on sohc4

i was so frustrated with other methods and shitty results that i got a little ranty. OVER

total cost 15-20 dollars depending on size of tank and dollar store proximity

That stuff make a fun little bomb too! Take a plastic drink bottle of any size with screw on cap. Take a small piece of aluminum foil and rip it to small shreds and place them in the bottle. Pour in a little of "the works" about two tble spoons. Quickly after adding, screw the cap on tight and move away from it. Some bottles are better than others! Gatoraid is good!

+1 the works makes a wicked bomb! Ahh misspent youth.
How much of the chemical did you use (i.e. How many bottles and what size)?
I've got a nasty nasty tank on my cb350...

tWistedWheelz said:
That stuff make a fun little bomb too! Take a plastic drink bottle of any size with screw on cap. Take a small piece of aluminum foil and rip it to small shreds and place them in the bottle. Pour in a little of "the works" about two tble spoons. Quickly after adding, screw the cap on tight and move away from it. Some bottles are better than others! Gatoraid is good!

I knew you were a redneck, we've got em up here, I know how to spot em'. But this takes the cake. ;D

diesel450 said:
I knew you were a redneck, we've got em up here, I know how to spot em'. But this takes the cake. ;D

I'm not redneck, just country, there is a big difference! Rednecks are ignorent asses, I am just an ass! When you grow up in a small town, you find ways to entertain yourself! Check out the anarchist cookbook, tons of fun stuff in there!

tWistedWheelz said:
I'm not redneck, just country, there is a big difference! Rednecks are ignorent asses, I am just an ass! When you grow up in a small town, you find ways to entertain yourself! Check out the anarchist cookbook, tons of fun stuff in there!

Just dont order it online... You'll end up on a watchlist. (the Cookbook tha is...) Gotta watch out for Big Brother and whatnot...

VonYinzer said:
Just dont order it online... You'll end up on a watchlist. (the Cookbook tha is...) Gotta watch out for Big Brother and whatnot...

Now that it has been mentioned were already on a watch list. Big Brother is probably tapping everyone of us now. DTT will be made out to be the next Black Trenchcoat Mafia now. Shit I just heard a black Helicopter... No, wait, those are stealth mode right?

Diesle450: I dunno if they'll fit down a valve stem, that's a great question. Could make them a no-go for tube tires...

Swagger said:
Diesle450: I dunno if they'll fit down a valve stem, that's a great question. Could make them a no-go for tube tires...

The Dyna beads do fit in the stem. Check them out for tube tires.

paper gasket:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6rx5hGKt1PY

I thought, no way, that'll leak after 3 miles. Well, paper has been a gasket standard for decades. of course I wouldn't be swinging a hammer at my cast aluminum cases!

I did the same thing with my wheels but instead after I masked off the area with tape I use an abrasive blaster on the spoke and hub and used acrylic lacquer and clear coat instead. Hopefully should do the job just as well. I hope.

23787_605086135827_45601142_34736474_4616956_n.jpg

Ted

for the works tank cleaner i used three bottles. i think it took so many because i was diluting it. adding water every time to the works.

i think after doing two tanks this way, the best method is full strength, swirl, sit swirl every like 5 minutes until it stops smoking and making noise, then fill with water dump out, refill with full strength and repeat, one third of a bottle at a time. then once all the rust is gone rinse with baking soda water dry, and coat with two stroke motor oil or wd40 whatever you have around to keep it fro flash rusting.
i found many new rust holes in mine that go all the way through so i will be using lots of jb weld on the outside to fill in the seams and holes.
anyway the bottles only cost 1.50 at the dollar tree here in NC so i could get like ten and fill it up and just wait. it would still cost less than some of the commercial cleaner setups for cleaning tanks.

I picked up some of that The Works stuff this weekend and can't wait to treat my tank.

Did you guys get any reactions from the stuff mixing with gas still in the tank? I've got mine about as clean as it goes, but I know there are still traces of gas in there. I sure wouldn't drop a cigarette into it, so I wonder how clean it needs to be for the acids?

I suppose the baking soda might be a bigger issue (acid + base and all that), but on that end I'm fairly sure I can flush sufficiently with water.

Thanks

tWistedWheelz said:
Less than $10 headlight ears!
Well it may cost you a little more, but you will have left over material!

Supplies:
1 Aluminum C Channel (see photos)
2 nuts
2 bolts/screws
1 cereal box

Tools:
Hacksaw
benchgrinder/file set
drill/drill bits
razor knife

1) using the cereal box cut you basic template shape
2) test fit it to the forks and headlight
3) transpose template to C channel
4) Cut away undesired material with hacksaw
5) clean up the cuts with the grinder or files
6) bend your mounting tab out 90 degrees away from the C channel
7) clamp the bracket to the fork tube with a clamp and force the long end around the tube by hand until mounting tab comes all the way around
8) drill holes for securing screw and headlight mount
9) mount and RIDE!

C channel purchased from Lowes for like $8 total!
SDC11543.jpg

SDC11544.jpg

Template
SDC11545.jpg

SDC11546.jpg

After cut and bent
SDC11547.jpg

SDC11548.jpg

Drilled and on
SDC11549.jpg

SDC11551.jpg

SDC11552.jpg

DONE! they will require a little more cleaning up and some finish work, but you get it!
SDC11558.jpg

SDC11560.jpg

I will be replacing the screw with a button socket head bolt on my build, it looks better than the screw.
Cheap and fairly easy!
I hope it helps some of you out there!
BUILT NOT BOUGHT!

this was my inspiration for my over flow bottle holder
qrd6c5.jpg

168ue8k.jpg

Back
Top Bottom