1976 Honda GL1000

deviant said:
Is this in the right thread?
Yep. Only on my 2nd 32oz. Corona Familiar, still know where i am. My reaction to the video, he had mentioned lack of gear. Didnt post in the helmet thread because there looks to be some gear nazis there. FTW

Went yesterday and got a tag and insurance for the wing. I putted a few miles on it. Found out the speedometer doesn't work. I'll probably figure a way to use my phone as a speedo for the time being. Feels like the handlebars are a little bit tweaked, probably just live with that for now. The turn signals seem to stop working at idle but then blink again with a little RPM, I suspect a dirty/weak connection somewhere so I'll look into that pretty soon. Other than that, I need a few little things and the tires need to be replaced but it seems to get on down the road okay. I want to paint it but don't wanna put much more money into this thing, it's already gone way past the cheap clean up and ride project that I had imagined, so I've got a rattle can idea that I'm toying with. Stay tuned.

i may have some speedos if that is the problem first make sure your cable is good and no one has crushed

the tangs on the speedo drive in the front wheel

i have some of the stock handle bars sitting in the junk pile right near your ac unit

check the connector for the three yellow wire on the left side near the battery

it is common just to solder and heat shrink these as the connector builds up resistance and can wipe out

the stator

So, I'd been riding the Wing around a bit. It was running pretty good. I decided to check the timing since it'd been a while. Found it to be off a little and adjusted it. Then I couldn't get it to crank up. After messing with the battery and the ignition switch with no joy I went back to timing since that's the last thing I worked on. Found that the Dyna is not switching anymore, the test light plugged into the coil wire just stays on no matter where I rotate the engine or the plate. I contacted Dynatek, they said it sounds like it's gone bad and I sent it to them for testing. We shall see.

You let out the white smoke. One thing about points, they need adjustments once a year but they don't have the white smoke to lose. ;D

If only I'd had the white smoke to let me know I goofed. It just kinda quit working without warning.

I prefer the setup using points for trigger, but transistors for switching. The transistors can always be bypassed if needed, and won't arc wear like a normal system.

Heard back from Dynatek yesterday. The ignition unit is bad and it's 31 years old so just a little outside the normal one year warranty. They will sell me a new one much cheaper than retail though so I'll pull the trigger on that.

i wonder if its been flaky for a bit before it dies that would explain the random no start

Gotta tell you guys, Dynatek are some awesome folks to deal with. I called today to finish getting the new ignition on the way and the tech rep was as nice as could be. A company that will test your 30 year old piece of equipment, confirm that it failed and then sell you a brand new one at cost (about half of retail price) is okay in my book.

Also, for once I had money left at the end of the month. I found a really nice looking set of valve and timing covers on eBay that are already painted black like I intended to do. Looks like really good paint. I got those on the way.

So, this happened.

Got the new ignition unit in the mail, threw that on and it runs again. While I was installing the new valve covers one of the bolts decided to snap off in the head. Guess I'll delay riding it for a while longer till I can get a new bolt here and remove the remains of the old one. I feel as if it's finally coming together well though.

Let me know if you can't locate one - I think I might have a spare. You gotta be gentle - they don't need much torque to compress the rubber gasket.

i have a bunch of rocker cover bolts just let me know

bike looks a lot better

Lookin good!

In all the rush to fix my nephews 77 before he moved to CO, I wound up with a mostly complete (if disassembled) 79 with title for free.
So now I'm dreaming about what I want to do with that.

Enjoy!

So, I finally got some new valve cover bolts. The old ones were rusty and needed to be replaced anyways. The broken one came out with an extractor, didn't even put up much of a fight. Got the bike all cranked up and let it idle for a bit. Got my helmet on and was gonna go for a ride when it died and wouldn't start back up. Similar symptoms to when the Dyna S died a while back. Checked and the timing light stays on constantly again. Checked voltage and I'm only getting 7 or 8 volts to the power wire for the Dyna S. It's spliced into the green/white wire on the flasher relay. Anyone got any ideas? I haven't been back to look at it again, been working.

You sure it isn't spliced into the power for the meters? They use 7 volts.

Sent from my Le Pan TC802A using Tapatalk 2

Back
Top Bottom