1973 CB500 resto-mod

Got the frame home yesterday. Wedged in the fender I hope to use, just to see if it would work. Looks like it'll be easy to make it fit.
The bars clear the fork adjusters easily (those are not the bars I'll be using, though).

Spent some time doing disassembly and working on the non-glorious stuff, like cleaning up random bits and pieces and hardware. Plenty of time with degreaser, Simple Green, EvapoRust, wire brushes, etc. Most people will never see this stuff again once the bike is put back together, but I'll know that every single bit has been touched, cleaned, polished or replaced.

I modified the brake pivot to work with the 400F brake lever. This gives you the proper ratio with the shorter foot pedal.

Got the head all cleaned up and installed the new valves. Decked .020 and 1.00mm over intakes, new exhaust valves.

Stripped the frame to get it ready for powder coating. Dropped off the swing arm to have the inner sleeve and shock mounts pressed out. New bushings will go in after powder coating.

And here's a picture of the front Lester with FZR600 rotors and the spacers to make it all fit the R6 forks. Just because I think it's bad ass! :)

Cleaned a few more batches of hardware. Also cleaned up the Lesters. I've painted/polished them before, and I had my Henry Abe's powder coated, but I decided to do more of a "sympathetic restoration" on these. I didn't want them too shiny...and I didn't want to deal with all the taping up for paint. They're in pretty good shape, with the rear being the worst. It has/had one spot of flaking paint and a few little spots of surface corrosion (no pits, just discoloration).
I cleaned them with car wash soap, followed by a few passes with Purple Power and varying grades of SkotchBrite and fine steel wool. I'll go over the lips again with some 0000 steel wool and aluminum polish. The plan is to get a sheen to them like they would have had right out of the box.

More "invisible" work while I wait for parts to get back.

We replaced the shift shaft seal (say that 3X, fast). Also honed the cylinders...

...and modified a cam cover so that I'll be able to degree in the cam.

And one thing that's often overlooked is servicing the starter. In the past, I've experienced sluggish starter operation, and cleaning the starter really makes a big difference.
Here's the "before" from this bike:

I neglected to get an "after", but here's some pics from a different build.

Before (nowhere near as bad as the current build):

After:

Got the 400F shifter heim joints modified and installed dust boots on the set I'm going to use.

Picked up the pipes from getting them ceramic coated. "Glacier Black" on the outside and a gold/green-ish coating on the inside that's a heat dispersant.

I also got a closer look at the pipes. They are really well made and each muffler, pipe and baffle is individually numbered.

Here's a look at the packing on the curved baffles.

And my guy did the hardware and hangers, too.

The pistons were vapor blasted, then coated with "Piston Coat" on the tops and "Micro Slick" on the skirts. Heat reflective and thin film lubricant, respectively.

I said I wasn't gonna do this, but I couldn't stand it. Everything else is getting powdercoated, painted, polished, chromed or detailed. The front was actually OK, but the rear was a little faded and chipped. They looked good from five feet away, but not so much up close.
The lips got a hand polish to a shiny satin sheen, the body got a satin black paint job.
Oh....and I also sanded down the fork lowers and painted them silver, followed with clear coat. They also got rebuilt with new seals, oil and a full service.

Got the top end mostly done today. Now I can move on to timing the cam, as well as a few other odds and ends, like flipping the engine over to pull the sump, clean and inspect and replace the gasket. I can also start installing the new clutch discs, side covers, etc.

You plan on doing the spin-on oil filter conversion, scott? I love the kit Randakk puts out for them.

I hadn't, but I might have to look into it now. I have a Nighthawk oil cooler that may go on it at a later date.

Back
Top Bottom