KZ 750 Twin - Two point zero

Oh boy ........... one very happy Beachcomber here !
Twin plug head is completed and awaiting my collection [ with the rest of the '81 engine ].
The good news is that the guy who did the deed for me borrowed the relevant jigs from the instigator - and was then given permission to duplicate the jigs for his own use.
He won't be creating a production line anytime soon - but has the wherewithall if anyone's interested ? The only problem is that he no longer has access to his machine tools etc. as he's changed jobs. However, he is getting a quote from a local friendly machine shop to see if it's viable to get the conversions done.
I have decided on the Norvil 1/2 fairing.

Progress looking good CC ! I recently went through the caliper / brake refurb game - only to ditch it all with the swap to the Grimeca and XS650 drum rear . I'm following your rearset installation with interest as my bike is [ has ! ] morphed into that 60's Cafe Racer now rather than a Flat Tracker. Keep those pix coming - inspirational !!

Attachments

• KZ750 sept 2017 010rrr.jpg
    KZ750 sept 2017 010rrr.jpg
    493.9 KB · Views: 293
  • Doppelzndunginnen.jpg
    Doppelzndunginnen.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 485
  • Doppelzndungauen.jpg
    Doppelzndungauen.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 479
beachcomber said:
Oh boy ........... one very happy Beachcomber here !
Twin plug head is completed and awaiting my collection [ with the rest of the '81 engine ].
The good news is that the guy who did the deed for me borrowed the relevant jigs from the instigator - and was then given permission to duplicate the jigs for his own use.
He won't be creating a production line anytime soon - but has the wherewithall if anyone's interested ? The only problem is that he no longer has access to his machine tools etc. as he's changed jobs. However, he is getting a quote from a local friendly machine shop to see if it's viable to get the conversions done.
I have decided on the Norvil 1/2 fairing.

Progress looking good CC ! I recently went through the caliper / brake refurb game - only to ditch it all with the swap to the Grimeca and XS650 drum rear . I'm following your rearset installation with interest as my bike is [ has ! ] morphed into that 60's Cafe Racer now rather than a Flat Tracker. Keep those pix coming - inspirational !!

Looks great BC. Those pics answer a few questions I had about the dual plug heads. Now for the ignition questions..... :)

CC ... this is my actual head. The small damage to the exhaust port exit floor has been rectified. The other pic is of his "prototype" - notice there was some small damage to the casting around the milled hole.

One of the German KZ guys [ Michael ] and a.n.other have twin plug conversions and both have offered up options for ignition. My pal is busy doing another head at the moment [ now he has the jigs ], but has to look for a machine shop as he he is changing jobs and won't have facilities to do it himself at the new place.

As soon as I have positive info for the twin plug ignition I'll let you know.

Attachments

• 7073_588b3ea975c99.jpg
    7073_588b3ea975c99.jpg
    185.3 KB · Views: 288
  • 7073_588b3ec2625b7.jpg
    7073_588b3ec2625b7.jpg
    185.1 KB · Views: 285
Still working on it. I got the new neck bearings and races in and done and was able to mount up the front end. Now I can work on the headlight and gauge mount stuff.

I cleaned up the peg mount template I made and it looks like it will work how I want. I have 3/16 steel plate. I'm pretty sure it will be enough, if not, it'll be easy enough to re-fab one with 1/4 plate. It'll be bolt on and not welded so no permanent frame mods for the new rearsets.
The shift linkage lines up nicely but the trick will be the rear brake pedal linkage. I have an idea but not 100% yet.

Attachments

• 750t_right_inside_lever.jpg
    750t_right_inside_lever.jpg
    587.2 KB · Views: 302
  • 750t_right_brake_needsolution.jpg
    750t_right_brake_needsolution.jpg
    388.4 KB · Views: 289
  • 750t_left_topdown_peg.jpg
    750t_left_topdown_peg.jpg
    362.2 KB · Views: 294
  • 750t_left_inside_peg.jpg
    750t_left_inside_peg.jpg
    580.3 KB · Views: 307
I would say 3/16" is totally adequate - unless you intend to stand up on the pegs ! Even then ...................

A favour please - could you give me a measurement from the vertical oblong boss on the gearbox [ viewed above sprocket ] to the centreline of the primary drive sprocket ? I want to roughly 'ish set up the rear wheel for sprocket alignment. My dummy engine has no guts in it. And I don't want to handball the complete lump around if I can help it. Ta

Many thanx for the pix / measurements. One final - if I may be a PITA. ::)

Here's the point I need the drive sprocket to rear sprocket alignment measurement from. IOW - I need to know how far out from the casing the sprocket c/l is. That's just so I can roughly position the rear wheel and sprocket to get spacers made. I'll allow for shimming for true alignment once the "real" engine is in the chassis. Your second pic down showing the drive sprocket from above is virtually it, but you can see on my dummy engine - I don't have that outer case where the drive sprocket is !

Attachments

• kz oil system 006.jpg
    kz oil system 006.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 282
  • kz oil system 007.jpg
    kz oil system 007.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 293
beachcomber said:
Many thanx for the pix / measurements. One final - if I may be a PITA. ::)

Here's the point I need the drive sprocket to rear sprocket alignment measurement from. IOW - I need to know how far out from the casing the sprocket c/l is. That's just so I can roughly position the rear wheel and sprocket to get spacers made. I'll allow for shimming for true alignment once the "real" engine is in the chassis. Your second pic down showing the drive sprocket from above is virtually it, but you can see on my dummy engine - I don't have that outer case where the drive sprocket is !

I replied over in your thread as well. I'll get you that next measurement this evening.

This is a pic of the measurement I PM'd you on a few minutes ago Beach. I think it's what you need. 1.5 inches from the main engine case edge to the outboard side of the drive sprocket.

Attachments

• kzsprocket.jpg
    kzsprocket.jpg
    580.2 KB · Views: 265
I got the 30 day thread reminder of shame again. I got the rearset mounts cut and I'm just about ready to drill them out and fit them. I think it's one of the biggest blockers on the build so far. For now, this bike has been taking 4th or 5th place for the YZF750 maintenance/upgrades and stuff I have going on at my new shop in town.

For folks still following the thread that don't already know, in December, two friends and I rented a 4000 sq/ft garage in Nob Hill, one of Albuquerque's more colorful districts. I've been splitting my tools and time between my home shop and the new place in town. Duplicating some stuff but getting some new tools in the process too. I needed to get out of the house and a change of pace. I live on the mountain in the trees only 20-ish minutes outside of downtown and I love it but to most of my friends in the city, they seem to think it's like another planet. The new shop is in a great location and we have plenty of space to work in and hang out. It's a creative space that even our wives like. A few steps out of the shop and our favorite watering holes are right there. We took a 1 year lease with options for much longer if we decide. It's a great experiment at this point. We are calling it The 505 Garage. We are setting up an area up front for a hang out lounge. I even made bumper stickers.. :)

More on the 750 twin build soon.

Don't feel bad...I get that shame about every time for both of mine. I am doing stuff just not real good at coming here to document it. Im usually on here at work during lunch time !!

ROCK ON 505 GARAGE !!!!!!!!!!! 8) 8) 8)

I'LL DO A COUPLE OF BUMPER STICKERS - JUST LET ME KNOW HOW MUCH WHEN THEY'RE READY.

Lol, thanks guys. I'll get some extras done soon. I only had a few made of the first sticker run. My first thought is that we put on them on our vehicles because parking down there is a pain and we only have two tenant spots and we have to wrestle for those on some days. I'm working on a better design for more stickers. I'm trying to work out tshirts too.

So, I finally solved the rearset mount plates. Test fit is nice, I'll clean them up at some point. The brake master actuation will be interesting.

Attachments

• kz750_rearsets_1.jpg
    kz750_rearsets_1.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 259
  • kz750_rearsets_2.jpg
    kz750_rearsets_2.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 255
Back
Top Bottom