Looking for advice on a 1980 CB750F engine I'm beefing up.

DaveWNH

Hello! I'm trying to see if anyone has recommendations on beefing up a CB750F DOHC engine. I'm having my engine overbored to 890cc's with Wiseco pistons and new sleeves. The crank is being balanced and has custom made Carrillo connecting rods to replace the originals. The valve springs, followers and retainers are being replaced with titanium from Kibblewhite, along with their seals. The charging system is gone and replaced with a super light version from CycleX. The cams were sent out to Webcam and redone for their #110 grind. A new exhaust will be made with parts from Cone Engineering. The oil filter and housing are gone, replaced with the CycleX block to run a cooler (I have an oil cooler from a CB900 but I'm not sure if I'll keep it and maybe use something newer).

The question is there anything I may be overlooking?

I'm not lightening the crank, only balancing. The local speed shop machinist said it really isn't worth the investment for this case.

I haven't bought a beefier cam chain or primary chain, I don't know if this is necessary.

I'm thinking of going with CR31 carbs but haven't made a purchase yet.

I don't know about bigger valves, if they're worth it.

Any advice or suggestions would be awesome. I'm learning everything I can as I go but I dread the thought of piecing this all together and having some small part thing fail and destroy the engine. Thanks for your help!

I've only just started disassembling the head. I plan to smooth out the casting both inside and out as best I can. After that it's just the valves and guides that I haven't replaced. Looking at the block it doesn't seem like I could gain more than 2 or so millimeters in size if I go bigger, the valves seat pretty damn close to each other already.

Any suggestions? What metrics would a flow bench find? Is it to balance the intake and exhaust so all 4 chambers are flowing evenly?

Removing the castings is a good start, but a flow bench is the empirical test for ensuring the modifications you're making are worth the money.

Your engine is basically a large air pump. Operating at 100% efficiency (which is usually impossible, but stay with me here), your engine will be sucking xxx volume of air through it. For instance, a 750cc engine will be sucking 750cc of air per minute, at 2 RPM. At 9000 RPM, that gets close to 750 cubic feet per minute. In a perfect world, that is.

So that's how much air your engine wants to use. How much it actually gets is dependent on a large number of factors. Port size and shape play a role and this is usually what flow benches monitor.

It's a complex topic, but a long more detailed explanation can be found here:
http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=39814.0

Even if you left the the intake ports stock you would gain a great deal of CFM by going to an OS intake valve and boring the seat to .9 of the OS valve OD. You would have to blend in the throat after the seat is opened up. This would work very well with the larger bore as it further deshrouds the the intake valve by pulling the cylinder wall back.
You also need to check the valve reliefs in regard to the OS valves.....the Wiseco's can be hit or miss.

Back
Top Bottom