CB360 Sprocket Cover Removal Questions

oathamm

Hi

I'm looking to remove the front sprocket cover also known in the manual as left crankcase rear cover! on my 74 CB360.

Looks like there are 4 screws, a gear shifter and a nut (red circle on pic) which need removing. From the schematic I assume the nut is threaded on to the clutch lifter adjusting screw.

My question is can I safely unscrew this nut to remove the cover - do I even need to unscrew this nut? Also what's the part I have circled in green on the pic? Do I need to worry about this?

I'd rather ask upfront and look stupid rather than blindly unscrew the nut and have a thousand pieces fall out and be lost forever!

20141111_211417.jpg

Thanks
Matt

Don't need to worry about unscrewing that stuff, but do watch out for a ball bearing that can fall out from the clutch assembly when you remove the cover.

The screw and nut in the center is the clutch adjuster....Leave that on...

The for screws and shifter need to come off. The cable stays on until after the cover is removed.

The cover has 2 locating pins (Knock Pins) that rust and corrode in place. With the shift lever off and the 4 perimeter screws off, it should come off, however, those knock pins will not always easily release from the corrosion. If you pry on the cover, they often break. Start with a scraper blade and lightly, slowly pry, but not too hard. Go around and pry a little on one side, alittle on the other. opnce you have it apart, clean the knock pins and the hole (they are on 2 of the threaded holes) and clean them, and put anti sieze when reassembling. The next time it will come off a lot easier.

Thanks guys will give that a go, I did read another thread that mentioned the locating pins can rust in place, hopefully I'll be in luck and it will come off easy, I'll give it a go and add the tips to my build post.

Sometimes a judicious whack with a rubber mallet will free a particularly stubborn engine cover.

Back
Top Bottom