CL200 Right Side Won't Idle

Classic5

Hey All,

I have a '74 CL200 that I'm restoring(it was in bad shape to put it lightly), and I've hit a bit of a snag that I'm hoping you can help me diagnose.

The Left cylinder(as you are sitting on the bike) fires up and runs just fine. The right side does not, unless I screw the idle screw all the way in, and even then it only pops occasionally. when I open the throttle to the point where it engages the main jet, then it starts to fire, but just won't idle properly.

Here are the stats:
  • Compression - Left and right side when cold 115. Left and right side when warm 120-125. 200psi with a little oil
  • Spark - Very strong spark on both sides
  • Carbs- I've soaked them in chem-dip for 2 days, cleaned them with a guitar string, shot carb cleaner through all the holes and had it come flying out the other side, chem dip again, new jets, put the old jets back on, adjusted the mixture screw, replaced all gaskets and o-rings, put gasket maker on the outside of the carb boots.

Soooo, I'm wondering if any of you know why one side runs fine and the other doesn't? I've sprayed starting fluid all over from the air cleaner boot to the engine with no change, so I don't think there is an air leak there. Is 120psi just too low to have them run? I'm planning on replacing the rings and honing the cylinder walls, but want to get it running reliably first so that I can take it for a drive and properly seat the rings once I replace them.

Thanks!

Try and get the slides synced up. its a bit tough to do with the carbs on that bike you have to kind of finagle it by feel or listening to the slides "snap" closed when you release the throttle. I had the same issue on the CB200 we have but was able to get it adjusted out.

Hey TheCoffeeGuy,

That's a great idea! For some reason I never thought to check that. I just assumed that if the pressure was there that they would be working.

Do you know how I should go about checking that? I've set and reset the valve clearances, is there another way that I could see if it's opening?

Back
Top Bottom