Buying First Bike-Could Use Some Advice

A Honda hawk is great reliable and simple transportation.
Make great utilitarian bikes.
Teriable cafe racers though

Start with whatever bike you like.
I would absolutely disagree with surffly, a cb1100 is a terrible first bike. Huge, heavy, and deadly fast.
A cb350 is a great first bike. You will outgrow it, and eventually you'll want to do some highway, but thats when you sell it and grab another.

And I wouldn't be afraid of other people's "builds" just go look at it, ride it, and look for anything obviously shoddily done. Anything you aren't happy with is an easy fix.

I don't know what's happened to this forum lately but if any of us had heeded "our own" advice this forum would be filled with a bunch of guys riding around on stock 80's bikes because they are cheap and practical.

Fuck that.
Buy something you like.
Build something you like.
Learn.
Ride.

SONIC. said:
Start with whatever bike you like.
I would absolutely disagree with surffly, a cb1100 is a terrible first bike. Huge, heavy, and deadly fast.
A cb350 is a great first bike. You will outgrow it, and eventually you'll want to do some highway, but thats when you sell it and grab another.

And I wouldn't be afraid of other people's "builds" just go look at it, ride it, and look for anything obviously shoddily done. Anything you aren't happy with is an easy fix.

I don't know what's happened to this forum lately but if any of us had heeded "our own" advice this forum would be filled with a bunch of guys riding around on stock 80's bikes because they are cheap and practical.

Fuck that.
Buy something you like.
Build something you like.
Learn.
Ride.
I was referring to the new '13 cb1100. They are all but giving them away. It's no rocketship.

Funny with restrictions and the "de-tune" that Honda do to make it run a bit rougher, the 1100 puts out the same horse as the original 750. That bottom gear is a slug, though. I don't get that.

Redliner said:
Junior's work would tend to disagree.

Zero idea who that is.
I guess I should have said "they are terrible for what I think a cafe racer is"
A million guys have dressed them up for a look that some care for.
And for that I guess they are fine and those people have a place too.

Junior Burrell?

Indeed, I think the Hawk is an EXCELLENT twin, one if my favorites because I can't find a reason to complain. They even had optional tach take-offs and kick-starters for a more complete look if you don't want those.

The stressed-member engine also makes for a cleaner look on the bottom. It would take some frame work to make it look less like a cruiser, though.

Everyone is going to have completely different advice because they have different goals and view the hobby as many different things.

Really the OP shouldn't be trying to figure out what bike to buy. He should be figuring out what he actually wants to do with said bike. And the more honest you are about that the better.

I say a hawk is terrible because there is little in the way of performance that can be gained. Others love them because they are cheap and "the look" is fairly easy with them.

Some love the 350 because they are literally everywhere and simple, others not so much because they want to have a single bike to use as a motorcycle.

Many people like the 750 for the performance and support, others see it as massively over priced.

A lot of people go CX500 to be "different" while a lot of people think it has a guzzi with downs kinda look.

Some want a small two stroke, others love trees.

A few people can even spell motorcycles other then honda!

I can only speak for myself. If I was in NC and had $5k in my pocket to buy a motorcycle I wouldn't even think about someone else's build. Even more so if the words cafe and racer where anywhere in the add. That kinda money gets some real nice and more importantly in my eyes, useable bikes. You can still have someone interesting and fun, but maybe not the brand of cafe racers pipe burn and Dues are selling.

Anyone else see on CL that a nice guzzi, some ducat is and most Brit bikes can be had for a fair bit less then some hipsters are asking for a clapped out, poorly build honda?
Is suzuki that hard to spell compared to honda? Must be because a GS750 is half the price of a CB750f(DOHC)

But I a now off on a tangent rant...lol

But really, back to the OPs original question.
What are your actual goals with the bike? What did you want to do with it? How do you see yourself using it?

surffly said:
But really, back to the OPs original question.
What are your actual goals with the bike? What did you want to do with it? How do you see yourself using it?
I don't really need to get on any highways, and I'm not going to break 60 anywhere near where I live or on my commute. It'll be a commuter for my 5 minute ride to work when the weather is ok, and to cruise around on the weekend. I'd like to do some trips into the surrounding areas that have lots of twists and turns but nothing too far.

Looking at that 78, and around online, it appears that parts for the 78 versus the older bikes are harder to find. True?

also, in the future I plan on having multiple bikes of different sizes. IE a small bike for around town and a bigger bike for highways etc.

Nope, can't think of any parts that are hard to find on any sohc 750
They are unloved because of the lines on the tank.
People refer to parts being hard to find because of the changes 77-78, but don't forget....they made millions.

Sohc 750 is a full sized bike and plenty fast on the road today.
For what you are looking for it might be a bit bore kill, but down the line you can use it for more things.

450 twin would suit you just fine too.
How about a British twin?

The CB450 is an excellent option. Rarely does a month go by where I haven't been tinkering with one. The owners are fanatical and very happy with them.

My only gripe is how long it can take to adjust the valves. Everything else is straight forward. Nothing can't be repaired over the weekend.

Here's the one I am restoring now.

LUL, surffly said the "b-word".

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1411520666.736954.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1411520666.736954.jpg
    313.6 KB · Views: 244
why does it take so long to adjust a 450 valves? same system as a 350, is it just all the extra work pulling the covers ?
on another note anybody that puts those gay as fuck clubmans on a black bomber should be hung by the ballsack :) the bobbed back front fender is an ugly crime as well :(

I miss my 450 very much.
A very usable bike. Small enough to toss around, large enough to actually go some place on it.

With prices these days it's cheaper to buy a bsa then a honda.
Folklore says they are hard to keep going, this isn't really true.
Any old bike needs looking after.

xb33bsa said:
why does it take so long to adjust a 450 valves? same system as a 350, is it just all the extra work pulling the covers ?
on another note anybody that puts those gay as fuck clubmans on a black bomber should be hung by the ballsack :)

They have a different "spring" set up. They use torsion bars. It's more different then harder or longer to do. Again some have zero imagination.

I do agree, those bars make me want to punch baby animals.

yabut the eccentric adjusters are identical method as a 350 the spring system ain't got nuttin to do with setting lash ;)
that said a 350 can be diffcult at times to get it spot on takes a real touch

Back
Top Bottom