Nissan engines suck, changed head gasket and the exhaust can broke so scrapyard

Re: Nissan engine help!!!

OK so I cleaned the MAF and TB last night, fired it up, seemed to run smoother.........until I was driving and came to a stop sign and the idle started reving 1k-2k-1k-2k-1k-2k WTF, google and shop manual later, if you touch the butterfly on the electronicly controlled throttle the truck loses it's idle. so there is a very complicated reset procedure i found out you can't do with the amount of beer it took to clean everything etc so have to try it tonight before I know if it is fixed. Stupid computers do not belong in cars!!!! if the idle is wonky on a carb there is an adjustment screw ffs, not a 10 minute session of turning the key on and off pushing the gas blinking lights and a friggin chicken sacrafice and pentagram on the hood.

Sounds like you are getting closer, good stuff.

Have to say our xtrail has been pretty much trouble free for the past 9 1/2 years, couple of minor issues but just regular stuff, up until this no start issue that is :) Don't think it like the idea of us getting rid of it :)

Well ours was a POS since new, needed a transmission (Warranty) but it took 6 months 500+ of our money and 30K of driving with no 2nd gear and a lot of arguing with the dealer and it went downhill from there. Soured me on the thing from then on but when we tried to trade it back then, no one wanted to give us close to what we owed on the thing so we sucked it up and kept it. now it is worthless with 277k on the clock and a dented rear door etc. to anyone else but us, if a major repair comes up it will go to the junk yard but we'll keep it until then. I hopefully will have the idle sorted at noon today or tonight with the crazy procedure, you need a stop watch to time it perfect I guess. I could take it to Nissan and pay them but I don't want to give them one more cent ever again after owning this piece of junk LOL.

Hopefully it's not a valve if you are getting a misfire code, I went through this not so long ago, a $40 valve with a hairline crack cost $3000 to repair, $2400 in labor and another $600 in bolts and gaskets.

Well the codes have stopped for now......but I may need to take it to a shop and or MAF replace. I did the reset last night, got all the steps at the right time, CEL light blinked and was off and on at the right time, idle immediately settled in at 800 rpm according to my sensor and reved it up and it came back each time, factory is 700 +- 50 so 800 was fine with me. Then this morning I fired it up to take it to work and half way to drop my son at school it started 1k-2k-1k-2k so that sucks balls. I am going to call a shop I trust and see if they have the right diagnostic machine to do the idle reset and how much. I want to test the MAF before I change it if I can but I haven't found a test yet for it. I hate ECU's and sensors, sure they are great for the environment but they make fixing cars harder instead of easier.

Maritime said:
Well the codes have stopped for now......but I may need to take it to a shop and or MAF replace. I did the reset last night, got all the steps at the right time, CEL light blinked and was off and on at the right time, idle immediately settled in at 800 rpm according to my sensor and reved it up and it came back each time, factory is 700 +- 50 so 800 was fine with me. Then this morning I fired it up to take it to work and half way to drop my son at school it started 1k-2k-1k-2k so that sucks balls. I am going to call a shop I trust and see if they have the right diagnostic machine to do the idle reset and how much. I want to test the MAF before I change it if I can but I haven't found a test yet for it. I hate ECU's and sensors, sure they are great for the environment but they make fixing cars harder instead of easier.

I think it's because the people who grew up playing video games are now the ones designing cars.

"Hey Lloyd, wouldn't it be neato if we made this mechanical procedure just like the supersize me code for Mario on original Nintendo!?"
"*pushes glasses up nose*"hell's yeah let's do it! *wipes snot from nose*
"Turn the key six times before the ding"
"Hahah yeah that's good!"
"Push a,a,b,then b and a at the same time "

LOL you are friggin right. up down up down left right left right a b a b start!

I like to deliver my jokes in a timely manner. Sega Genesis, they're still topical, right?

To old farts like us yep. my first video game system was pong and a shooting game in one consol. then atari 2600 and on from there, now with kids we are at Xbox 360 and a one I am sure will come from the grandparents next X-Mass

Holy shit! Atari....I almost forgot about that and pong

Harry Pitfall was the greatest man.
He could jump over fire and swing across quicksand
Change the cartridge for a change of pace.
Got the Pole Position now I'm ready for a race.

Speaking of Atari 2600, I bet many don't remember this game.

http://youtu.be/qY2AqKCpGkk

Re: Nissan engine dont need help now its the head gasket.

Put the new MAF in and was resetting idle when I gave it a shot of gas to rev and settle when I looked in the mirror and white sweet smoke was blowing. Fuck. Another heax gasket. Oh well at least it is easier to do then the civic was. No timing belt, no crank pully. Just a chain, cam sprocket and head. Will do it when I get back from barber. Ill order the parts and pick em up on the way home and save the tax.

Yep, I am going to order the bits I need today and get ready to change it on the weekend. It isn't as bad as the civic and should only cost about 150. The good thing is I tested compression and it was good so the gasket isn't completely shot, I had to rev it to 5k to get the smoke, and it stopped within a few seconds. So we can drive it a little till the parts come in. Just won't make any really long drives.

Might want to retorque the head bolts to make sure you don't have any problems till the new psrts arrive. At least nissian made it easy to change.

Back
Top Bottom