Nissan engines suck, changed head gasket and the exhaust can broke so scrapyard

Re: Nissan engine dont need help now its the head gasket.

True, never thought of that, I am ordering new bolts along with the gaskets and seals to do the job, but a retorque probably wouldn't hurt.

It may not hurt but it won't help

bradj said:
It may not hurt but it won't help

Ha thanks, I just ordered the gaskets and new head bolts. about 200 bucks. all in by Thursday so friday night and Sat will be all taken up doing the damn thing.

Maritime said:
Put the new MAF in and was resetting idle when I gave it a shot of gas to rev and settle when I looked in the mirror and white sweet smoke was blowing. Fuck. Another heax gasket. Oh well at least it is easier to do then the civic was. No timing belt, no crank pully. Just a chain, cam sprocket and head. Will do it when I get back from barber. Ill order the parts and pick em up on the way home and save the tax.
Do I win the prize for getting it right???..Sorry that you have to do it though !!

Yeah. You get a free Sparck Moto sticker. Send me your address. :D

Give Mike a sticker too for making the longest thread on DTT about a Nissan. ;)

This was about a Nissan? Dammit... I thought this was a brake thread about Nissin.

LOL funny guys, yep the gasket showed it's ugly head when revving to reset idle. Parts are coming and Friday and Sat of this weekend will be used up doing the damn head gasket. If I wasn't able to do this for less then 200 bucks I'd have gotten rid of the thing but when the cost is all labour, I can't justify not doing it.

And somewhere in between working on this and the Civic, you are going to ride 1400 miles to Barber.

LOL, Civic is being inspected right now so it should be good to go for the next 6 months or more. this I need to get done before Barber so Jill can get to work while I am away. I also have to put a new starter in the GL and set the timing and probably change the oil too. No pressure. ;D

did you get one from db electric?

Yep, thanks again for the link.

Mike

yup good guys

very fast i always get my stuff the next day

cxman said:
yup good guys

very fast i always get my stuff the next day

yep. was shipped minutes after paypal cleared and arrived next day, I'll use em again if need be in future for sure. Thanks Again for the link, was the best deal on a starter, I was looking before you sent it and couldn't find any for less than $100 shipped like that one was. To bad US-CAN exchange went shitty and it is a little over 100 CAD now, but better then the 250-300 I was being quoted for one already in Canada.

Well got the head off last night, gasket is bad signs of coolant in 2 of 4 cylinders. Cleanup and new gasket today. Pics later if I think of it. Just had a big breakfast going to be a long day. Only good part is the old gasket left almost no residue on block or head

Well at least it came off easy, although that was most likely why it leaked.

spray both sides of the gasket with permatex copper head gasket spray

and place on clean dry block it will help the gasket heat cycle and still maintain a seal

blow the head bolt holes out before final cleaning so you dont get a hydraulic lock on a bolt

or a false torque due to gasket scrapings

cxman said:
spray both sides of the gasket with permatex copper head gasket spray

and place on clean dry block it will help the gasket heat cycle and still maintain a seal

blow the head bolt holes out before final cleaning so you dont get a hydraulic lock on a bolt

or a false torque due to gasket scrapings
thanks Murray, did everything but spray so far. Got to go buy rtv as my tube from last job walked away. I'll get the spray too. Anything to not do this again in 60k lol. I tried to post pics but didn't work. Think internet is off today due to weather. Satalite internet sucks

So I am reading the install in my manual and instead of torque it has angle tightening wtf, is there a conversion?

nope that is the new way and you are probably supposed to use new bolts each time

you might find a torque spec in a aftermarket manual but you better check if its a new bolt motor

Back
Top Bottom