Nissan engines suck, changed head gasket and the exhaust can broke so scrapyard

Re: Nissan engine dont need help now its the head gasket.

I bought new bolts. Going to buy a protractor when I get spray.

check and see if you are supposed to dip the bolts in oil some want them lubed

Thanks Murray. Yes manual called to oil bolts. Just do the process with the angles. Not as bad as I thoughtm . just for fun I set the wrench at where it would click for old torque value and did the process. Torque to 37, 60 deg tight. Loosen all. The 29 lbs, 75 deg, the 75 deg. Wrench clicked right at 75 every time lol so not sure which is better

the angle system removes the constant need and worry about torque wrench calibration and testing

OK so my wrench is still good then lol

in big stationary/ships diesels you use a hydraulic stretcher stretch the bolt so many psi upward tension

then wind the nut down till it contacts the head and let the pressure off that is it done!

The initial torque is what crushes the gasket, additional degrees are mostly to stretch the bolt. Nissan head torque specs are bizzare. Just did an Xterra V6, tighten, loosen, snug head bolts, tighten, loosen, snug intake bolts. 3 step tighten head bolts, then torque intake in sequence. Did you straight-edge the head and block?

Yep, straight edged both and both good. Now I got the fooker back together last night late, went to fire it up, coughed once then nothing but cranking over. I hate this thing. So left the battery neg off over night to reset the ECU and tried again, one cough, then nothing. So to google I went and it is indicating my cam sensor may have shit the bed during the head work. So I grabbed one on the way to work and will see at lunch, that little bugger tells the ign when to fire so we'll see. I did drop it by mistake when removing it, should have left it in place. Guy at NAPA said they sell a pile of them to Nissan 2.5 owners as I gues they just randomly fail as folks are driving and need to be changed. Did I mention I hate Nissans.

Sometimes it can take a little while to purge all the lines as well. Crank it over several times with the accelerator fully depressed and see if it makes a difference.

Tried that and just smelled fuel LOL. Also I was able to remove manifold with everything attached so I didn't release fuel pressure. There was plenty of slack in the lines to move the manifold off the studs and hang it there, same with the header.

Re: Nissan engines suck, changed head gasket now won't start

You can check for spark with a strobe light. That will rule out the cam sensor on some engines. Not sure about Nissans.

Sonreir said:
You can check for spark with a strobe light. That will rule out the cam sensor on some engines. Not sure about Nissans.
Don't have a strobe, but there is a resistance check I will do before I replace the sensor so I can still return it. Not sure if it will be any good but the manual has it, should be 0 resistance between certian pins, so if I get anything else I will swap the sensor. I did drop it down into the engine bay when removing it and from what I have read they are pretty sensitive and that may have been enough to break it.

Here are the pics I couldn't load before. Those are before cleaning the little bit of gasket left on the head and block.

Attachments

• IMG_20141005_115112828.jpg
    IMG_20141005_115112828.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 179
  • IMG_20141005_115049745.jpg
    IMG_20141005_115049745.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 164

Also, the intake had a lot of carbon, like 1/4" thick so cleaning that will hopefully get some performance back.

OK so went home for lunch, pulled old sensor, got the multi out, checked it and got resistance where I shouldn't, so I said yay that's the issue, swapped in the new sensor, fired it up, got one second of fire then a thump and nothing but cranks again, so now I am worried the cam chain may have slipped, fuck. I triple checked the timing marks on both cams with the crank pully on the mark, all were lined up but now I wonder if something slipped when I release the tensioner or something. I'll pull the timing cover tonight and see if everything is still lined up. I am stumped now. These friggin computer controlled engines suck when you don't have a Computer to plug in to tell you why they won't fire.

Well pulled the time ng cover and found the exhaust sprocket had spun and the end of the can was in pieces so she is now scrap, finally the disaster needed to get rid of her. Can't afford to really but no more money. New motor is just not with it and I ain't rebuilding this one. Thanks to all the folks who helped out and let me rant. We will borrow a car from the in-laws for a bit till we figure out budget etc.calling junk yard tomorrow to see what they will give me.

Damn, Mike. Sorry to hear this. I hope there is a silver lining here.

That sucks Mike, I take it you will be looking for anything but Nissan from now on.

You could always put it on Craigslist as a sweet Cafe Racer that was running when parked.

Re: Nissan engines suck, changed head gasket and the exhaust can broke so scrapyard

Wow, that really sucks, sorry to hear Mike. We're hopefully getting rid of ours this week as well, in-laws are getting it towed to see if they can get it fixed for cheap to use over the winter. We've been down to one car for months now since we can't afford a new one yet, hopefully get something before I put the bike away. Hope you can figure out something as well.

HerrDeacon said:
Wow, that really sucks, sorry to hear Mike. We're hopefully getting rid of ours this week as well, in-laws are getting it towed to see if they can get it fixed for cheap to use over the winter. We've been down to one car for months now since we can't afford a new one yet, hopefully get something before I put the bike away. Hope you can figure out something as well.

If they need any parts except engine I have them LOL. And Brodie yep, I'll never own another Nissan as long as I live

Back
Top Bottom