1976 Honda CB550 project

doodL

So I finally got a bike the other day! Honda Cb550 only cost $150! I'll post pictures soon, but in the mean time does anyone know a trick to getting the carbs off? I might be doing it wrong ( this is my first bike) unless it is supposed to be this difficult.
Any advice will help!

Ryan

Oh and i still don't know what I want to do with it, Either a bobber or cafe. kinda want to do both, any opinions?

Re: Honda CB550

doodL said:
So I finally got a bike the other day! Honda Cb550 only cost $150! I'll post pictures soon, but in the mean time does anyone know a trick to getting the carbs off? I might be doing it wrong ( this is my first bike) unless it is supposed to be this difficult.
Any advice will help!

Ryan
what year is your cb? try loosenig the carb manifold boot wormclamps, then pull all at once, take the throotle cables off also it will make pullin em out easy.

metalmike13 said:
what year is your cb? try loosenig the carb manifold boot wormclamps, then pull all at once, take the throotle cables off also it will make pullin em out easy.

Hey thanks, It's a 76. i took off the cables, i did loosen them but they wont budge, they will wiggle a little but that is it.

Could try getting a hair dryer to warm up the boot rubbers - but don't melt them. Just a whole lot of wiggling after that

lift the seat and remove the bolts holding the air filter box.
gives you about another quarter inch or so.
Pull back off manifolds, tilt front (engine side ) down then pull forwards to get back end out of airbox
They are real tight to get off.

PJ

Big R said:
Could try getting a hair dryer to warm up the boot rubbers - but don't melt them. Just a whole lot of wiggling after that

That's a great idea! Thank you!

I forgot to add - do not blow yourself up with that thing near gasoline.

And listen to CrazyPJ, he knows his stuff

I'm pretty sure they have to come off bike to left side as well, the chok and clutch cable get in the way if you try and takre them off to right.

PJ

Here are some photos
DSC_0072-1.jpg

DSC_0071-2.jpg

This is going to be a long build...
I have another question, every time I roll the bike it makes a clicking noise, it is in neutral. Any ideas to what it could be? Like I said It is my first bike so I don't know much yet

Most likely the chain/sprockets

And nice lookin project you got there!

DSC_0087-2.jpg

i removed everything that was in the way, they still arent coming off. it's hard to get a good grip on them too.

Not doubting, but I have to ask. Did you loosen ALL those boot clamps? Can't imagine what else could be holding them on so tight....

I did haha, i even used some wd 40, they wont move. i guess i just gotta keep trying.

How do you get the rear fender off? it's connected to a black plastic lining type deal under it and i don''t see how to get that off either while still keeping the wires.

hay man,

the fender is held on by two bolts on top and two on the sides, it slips into the inner fender. the inner fender is plastic and has little clips that the fender slides into.

as for the carbs, the air box and tubing out of the way, undue the boot clamps. undue the throttle cables, and push down on them and pull up on them to loosen the rubber seal the clamps have made.
they will come, they have to get over the ribs in the manifold.

aswell, the wiring must be out of the way. the batt box out and boots off the carbs will come out from the batt side, but will be tight. you'll have to shimmy it out.
just some info for you, if you havn't all ready done all of this.
if you any questions just ask

i can say this, as i have done it all to my cb500, which is the same as the cb550.

any way, good luck
later

supercafe said:
hay man,

the fender is held on by two bolts on top and two on the sides, it slips into the inner fender. the inner fender is plastic and has little clips that the fender slides into.

as for the carbs, the air box and tubing out of the way, undue the boot clamps. undue the throttle cables, and push down on them and pull up on them to loosen the rubber seal the clamps have made.
they will come, they have to get over the ribs in the manifold.

aswell, the wiring must be out of the way. the batt box out and boots off the carbs will come out from the batt side, but will be tight. you'll have to shimmy it out.
just some info for you, if you havn't all ready done all of this.
if you any questions just ask

i can say this, as i have done it all to my cb500, which is the same as the cb550.

any way, good luck
later

Hey thanks man,
yeah i just couldn't seem to slide them out from the clips.
thanks, yeah i got the box out and everything, i will post more pictures today, i have some questions on the wiring as well, it had some wires that weren't connected to anything when i got it, is the wiring close to the same on the CB 500?

Thanks again,
Ryan

hey man,

they are pretty close to the same i believe the colors are different on some wires.
but any way, ask away man. might not have all the answers but might have some.
get some pics up.
later.

Back
Top Bottom