My Suzi T500 Project *It's Alive Video*

Re: My Suzi T500 Project

Well I just got back from England after visiting family for a couple of weeks. Got to hang out with my dad and dink around with some of his bikes. Fired up his gold star and rocket goldstar, also a 1934 Velocete 350. It was a bit too cold and damp to ride though.

Anyway I am moving forward with the T500, I got some of the subframe done which took a little while. I don't have a tube bender so I had to make a jig and use heat to bend the tubes. Here are a couple of pics.

Attachments

• Sub1.JPG
    Sub1.JPG
    144.3 KB · Views: 231
  • Sub2.JPG
    Sub2.JPG
    113.4 KB · Views: 232
  • Sub3.JPG
    Sub3.JPG
    119 KB · Views: 231

John, you did a great job on the subframe without having a tubing bender. I like look of the curved seat support giving an exposed look to the tire, swingarm and shock.
I'm doing the same on the Yamaha RT but mine is to follow the curve of the fuel tank. Great to have you back "on the job"
Cheers, 50gary

Indeed! I'm sure I missed it so please forgive....
What shock rear are you using there? Did you choose a wheel rate and build from that spec or like 90% of us....are you "working backward"? The reason I ask; I'm laying the groundwork for my RH build and it got cantilevered rear suspension too. I've got a lovely Ohlins that was supposed to go on my old 955 but that bike went away before i installed it. I will need to respring it and likely will need to see to the shim-stack as well but that's all addressable. I'm kind of gathering insight at this point so whatever you have to give is welcome.

Swagger said:
Indeed! I'm sure I missed it so please forgive....
What shock rear are you using there? Did you choose a wheel rate and build from that spec or like 90% of us....are you "working backward"? The reason I ask; I'm laying the groundwork for my RH build and it got cantilevered rear suspension too. I've got a lovely Ohlins that was supposed to go on my old 955 but that bike went away before i installed it. I will need to respring it and likely will need to see to the shim-stack as well but that's all addressable. I'm kind of gathering insight at this point so whatever you have to give is welcome.

The shock is off of a Kawi 650 Ninja. I chose that shock specifically because the Kawi is a non-linkage setup. My bike will be a lot lighter than the 650 so not sure how it will work out. If all is well when I ride it (eventually) I will look for an aftermarket upgraded replacement. Location points are seat of the pants to be honest but I do have the ride height adjustment that I built in to the top mount.

Thanks mate! Your mounts look to be within reason, looks as though the shock will stay 'in arc' even at full stuff so yeah, maybe some spring/shim swapping bit it looks good from here!

Ok it's been a while since I've posted any progress and unfortunately there is still none. However I did get my ported cylinders back from Zooke which look good so now I can get them bored. I am swamped with work right now (started my own buisiness about a year ago and it's really taking off) so the bike has to take a back seat.

I may be reconsidering making my own tank and pipes due to the lack of time I have to dedicate to the project, I want to be riding it so I may go a slightly different route. I'd still like to use a similar shape tank, if I can find something squarish I could just modify it to suit. So far I haven't come up with anything even close so if anyone has suggestions I'd like to hear them. I will probably end up purchasing the Swarbrick pipe kit, that way I can route the pipes exactly how I want them by cutting and rotating some of the pre-made cones

you could use something like this and just mod it to your liking its a 78 xs500 tank....
081.jpg

DreadRock said:
you could use something like this and just mod it to your liking its a 78 xs500 tank....
081.jpg

Thanks! You may have come up with a very good option, from my limited research on this tank it is 23.5" long which is perfect. A quick glance on ebay this afternoon however is not encouraging, all of the examples I saw were way above what I would be willing to spend on something that I will be modifying. I could only really justify laying out about $50 and that would have to have a working cap with it. I don't really care about dents but wouldn't want some thing that is hideously rusty inside.

I see you are a KTM man also!!

Again thanks.

Ah man. I was looking forward to that tank you came up with! I understand business comes first though. This is still a great build.

man just had a guy in my area right befor the holidays that had one with working cap just no key . i just wanted it for the petcocks but could of picked it up for 100.00 grrrrrr just didnt have the $$. I know there out there took me about 2 months to find one with minor dent and rust free . picked it up for around 100.oo just the tank no petcocks . i know there are other XS like the 400 that ran that tank. or even someone here might have one?
yea once i rode one its the only off-road bike i would buy ! never did ride a motard tho wanted one but i could just see red and blue lights ever time i took it out for a ride LOL

johnu said:
I will probably end up purchasing the Swarbrick pipe kit, that way I can route the pipes exactly how I want them by cutting and rotating some of the pre-made cones

You might try Jemco pipes in Texas. They make a a set of pipes just like Swarbricks that you can modify.

If you already know the "formula" you can order pre-formed cones from 'Air Cone' in Salt Lake City Utah. Then it's cut and weld for fit and clearance.
Cheers, 50gary

Well I was able to make a little progress today. I got my offset counter sprocket made, it gives me about 9mm of offset but I can shim it out a couple more if needed. I also installed the engine to line up the sprockets but I pushed in the shift shaft and of course I didn't have the clutch case on and the shaft moved over which disengaged the gear selector!! Now I have to take the clutch off to re-postion it. I hate doing stuff like that.

Attachments

• sproc 1.JPG
    sproc 1.JPG
    115.7 KB · Views: 208
  • sproc 2.JPG
    sproc 2.JPG
    110.1 KB · Views: 241
  • bike 1.JPG
    bike 1.JPG
    123.6 KB · Views: 251

Have you looked at a TZ/TD tank? They are not identical to your shape, especially the lower front edge, but very similar. I suspect that the sump would be an issue, but there are RD versions of the tank without a sump that might work. Or make up a carbon shell and make a simple alloy box inside it for fuel.

Is it me or is there an 'extra' splined shaft on the sprocket side? What am I missing?

teazer said:
Have you looked at a TZ/TD tank? They are not identical to your shape, especially the lower front edge, but very similar. I suspect that the sump would be an issue, but there are RD versions of the tank without a sump that might work. Or make up a carbon shell and make a simple alloy box inside it for fuel.

Thanks yes, I had been considering the RD option.

I have made a bit of progress, some of you may have seen in the tank & seat section that I am working on my ally seat. Here are some pics of what I have done so far, all the parts in the pics still need final shaping and hammering.

Attachments

• seat mock.JPG
    seat mock.JPG
    165.1 KB · Views: 223
  • seat pan.JPG
    seat pan.JPG
    172.1 KB · Views: 199
Back
Top Bottom