CB360 - Penelope

The Red Wonder

Been Around the Block
I have been lurking in here for a while and I have decided now is as good a time as any to start this build log. I picked this bike up from a moto junkyard for $150 2 weeks ago!!

Project goals:

2006 GSXR Front end swap with an 08 Harley Narrow Glide 19" wheel
Mono - shock in the rear
GS850 Piston swap...bought some .5mm over size GS850 pistons which will result in a 383!!
miscellaneous awesome customness!!

IMG_20101104_135008.jpg

IMG_20101105_173716.jpg

DSC01002.jpg

DSC01008.jpg

It is for the most part, everything that I wanted to start with so I am happy!

I had it for a few days and wasn't able to touch it until the weekend, it was killing me! But when I did get the time to finally take her apart, it only took an hour!

DSC01009.jpg

And started the engine teardown the day after:

DSC01028.jpg

DSC01020.jpg

And some cleaning

DSC01030.jpg

Found some issues...it looks like the cam got hungry and started eating the head :-\

DSC01075.jpg

DSC01074.jpg

DSC01076.jpg

A new head is on the way and should be here soon.

Started cleaning up the GSXR front end,

DSC00992.jpg

Oven cleaner loves anodizing!

DSC00996.jpg

Redrilling the 2001 GSXR 1000 rotors:

Bigger diameter holds the ID of the GSXR rotor, smaller diameter holds the harley rotor

IMG_20101112_151039.jpg

GSXR rotor centered on (already drilled)

IMG_20101112_151052.jpg

Harley rotor on top of GSXR rotor, centered.

IMG_20101112_151122.jpg

Insert center punch, BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG! Then drill 5 holes, repeat for other rotor and new bolt pattern all done :)

Figured out the 06 GSXR front end uses 310 mm rotors and the 01 GSXR 1000 rotors are 320...So I could either machine the rotors down or build spacers, I opted for the spacers so that if they didnt work I could have options.

Here are the little guys, with a 6mm lift and the original little one next to it.

DSC01114.jpg

The recess in the forks:

DSC01115.jpg

Installed and perfect :)

DSC01116.jpg

I machined them a little too "perfect" (read: too tight) and had to file the diameter on a few of them down to size to fit, but they fit and clear the rotors perfectly.

WE HAVE CLEARANCE CLARENCE!!

DSC01123.jpg

(Pre-new drilling and spacing)

DSC01083-1.jpg

DSC01084.jpg

DSC01117.jpg

Started chopping the frame yesterday

DSC01095.jpg

DSC01109.jpg

DSC01101.jpg

DSC01105.jpg

AAAAANNNNDDD....CHOP!

DSC01107.jpg

First stage of chopping/ prelim grinding done:

DSC01110.jpg

DSC01113.jpg

DSC01111.jpg

DSC01112.jpg

Welcome to the site! That's a hell of a start so far. Nice work on that front end. Looks like you know your way around a bike.

WOW! Welcome to the site! Amazing work so far - makes me want to go buy a lathe. Might be asking for some advice when I go to fit whatever rotor I end up with on whatever hub I find to mount in my SR500's front end running with a BMW's Brembo caliper ;)

Thanks guys! I would love to own a lathe as well! I just graduated from the University of Arizona and I worked in the AME machine shop for 4 years and still have a key :) it works out nicely when I need to do some work.

Great start. Ouch on that cam. It is probably repairable though.

That's a huge amount of breaking power for a small bike. I think one disk would be too much, but two - overkill. Just don't grab a handful.

teazer said:
Great start. Ouch on that cam. It is probably repairable though.

That's a huge amount of breaking power for a small bike. I think one disk would be too much, but two - overkill. Just don't grab a handful.

I guarantee you are right, but I just like the way it looks...balanced...I have actually never even ridden a motorcycle for more than 100 feet. I grew up on ATVs, and I wanted a smaller bike to start with so I don't have the urge to go too too fast. I'm sure that it is going to take me a while to learn to ride, and even then, I am not looking to race, so double giant brakes are overkill.

And I doubt repairing that cam is possible, material is missing. I wouldn't even consider trying to repair that. I found a suuuuper nice top end on ebay and its in the mail.

As long as you have a spare top end coming, that's fine. The cam end can be machined down and sleeved and the head can always be bored to take needle rollers - for future reference.

I like that front end too, but you have more brakes than my GT750 Suzuki and it should make a little more HP and weigh about twice as much. Looks cool though.

teazer said:
As long as you have a spare top end coming, that's fine. The cam end can be machined down and sleeved and the head can always be bored to take needle rollers - for future reference.

I like that front end too, but you have more brakes than my GT750 Suzuki and it should make a little more HP and weigh about twice as much. Looks cool though.

I have heard mention of the needle roller conversion before. Is that as simple as finding a needle bearing with the right ID, and machining the head to accept it's OD? If so, I might try that on this spare head. But how would you get the needle bearing on to the center lobe of the cam, or is it only for the two outer journals??

And I guess you could sleeve it, but for the price, I would rather have a working put together head that doesnt have any issues. I can always use this one as a tester if I want. PJ mentioned that he might be interested in using this head as a tester for the needle conversion too. We'll see.

It will probably be more braking power than I need and if it is a big issue, I'll deal with it later, but I think it looks sweet!

CrescentSon said:
Quite ambitious aren't we. Looks good so far, keep digging in.

Ambitious in a good way?? YES! My last project was a Yamaha Raptor with a GSXR 600 engine in it :) sold that and it is the funding source for this project

IMGP2407.jpg

GSXRaptor vs. Sand Rail at the Sand Drags

I got bored today and made this...I am planning on modeling most of the bike in Solidworks to give me an idea of how things will look and sit before I go and cut a tube. The rear wheel in the model is just a smaller version of the front, not a true representation of the drum brake wheel that will be on the bike. Bought an R1 rear shock today, in the mail and hopefully have it mocked up soon, then I can start making a swingarm!

CB360CADModel.jpg

I also made this for Jon, it is a template that has the Harley Narrow glide rotor bolt pattern laid over the GSXR bolt pattern that I used. He wants to do the same or similar front end set up and wanted my jig. Rather than sending it, I have created a PDF template that anyone should be able to grab, cut and fit to their rotors. It can be as precise as you want it to be and it won't cost you anything either to try!

Check it out here:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/550017/GSXR%20TO%20NARROW%20GLIDE%20ROTOR%20TEMPLATE.pdf

Only a few things left to do to get the front end all buttoned down!

Corey, you're the man, that drawing must have taken some time. I don't have my rotors yet to give it a try, But it sure looks like it will work. Thanks so much for sharing!

Jon

After a nice week long thanksgiving break, I was able to get a little more work done tonight.

I think I have the frame to a point where I can start adding tubes instead of taking stuff off.

Sand blasted the engine halves and getting ready to paint them tomorrow.
I will be getting the cylinder back from the machinist tomorrow with the "big bore" pistons fitted in...383!!

Pulled the valves out with a tricked I learned here. Cut a window in a socket, compress with a C-Clamp and pull out the retainers with a magnetic screwdriver...super easy!!
DSC01482.jpg

Sandblasted, taped, and ready for paint in the morning :)
DSC01483.jpg

DSC01485.jpg

Can someone confirm if this is the hole to be drilled 1/16" oversize to increase flow to the cam, I read in another post that it was the tear drop shaped hole, but there was no detailed picture:
DSC01489.jpg

ENGINE!! After paint, the rebuild should be quick.
DSC01495.jpg

DSC01496.jpg

More chopping on the frame, the center stand mounts were a PAIN in the butt to get off, but they are gone for good!
DSC01494.jpg

Where the rear shock will go, taken from a 2003 R1, I will need to re-spring it because the R1 used a series of linkages and I won't, so it will probably be super stiff when I get it mounted up.
DSC01497.jpg

Here is a quick render I came up with in Solidworks, I like the blue of the second picture best. The tank is a Benelli Mojave 260 (Its in the mail, so the model is ROUGH). I plan to cut the bottom of it out, weld in the bottom of the stock CB, or make my own bottom to get some more volume out of the tiny tank. I still need to draw in the forks, but that gives it a general idea of what I am shooting for.
Penelope1.jpg

Penelope2.jpg

I welcome comments and criticism! Thanks for looking.

You need to re-think the angle the rear shock is mounted, thats the position about halfway through travel.
BTW, that is the correct hole to drill.
It doesn't completely cure the cam problem but it definitely helps

if you have access to a machine shop, why not convert the cam to roller bearings. widening those holes I figured out, decreases the flow to the bottom half of the engine, starving the bottom end, which it turns out, starts to destroy your small end bearings... with the needle rollers, the only oil needed is excess from the cam tubs, and they won't chew the head to pieces if they fail

Back
Top Bottom