XJ650 Stock Speedo Setup..

Ribo

Twist the "go-go" side and hold on!
Anyone know the stock Speedo ratio on an '81 XJ650.... i.e. 60MPH @ 2240RPM ? Is there a standard for this?

That's not what speedo ratio means...
That's your gear ratio.
Look up sprocket calculator on google and it should help

Thanks man...I will read up on that. I just got smarter albeit a slow rise from zero...

So, I get this, I think I even understand some of the math behind it being a nerd and all. The dumb question is if you're trying to fit an aftermarket speedo is there a calibration you can do on the speedo to match to the gear ratio or am I over thinking this?

Justin... you're confusing the matter... :p

You are after a speedo ratio... not a gear ratio. Gear ratios are how fast your rear wheels are turning at a certain gear and certain engine RPMs.

Speedo ratio is how many rotations of your speedo cable per rotation of your wheel, though this is more often represented as miles per hour compared to rotations per minute of the speedo cable.

In your case, 60:2240 is the correct one to use for the speedometer. Your tach is 5:1.

Thanks man,

Hey I learnt about gear ratios though so it worked for me but I was confused for sure. This is the info I needed man, thanks. Is there a standard for this or do aftermarket speedos vary? Are there any adjustments that you can make to an aftermarket speedo to align this?

Yup. Totally misread that one. Thought you were looking for engine rpm vs speed
Well gearing commander is cool though haha

Back
Top Bottom