Keep your Disney straight..He Killed Bambi's Aunt Ena.... ;D

Re: 76 CB360, Re-labled...Outlaw Cafe.

mydlyfkryzis said:
Computer rebelling from the pics he sent Worst CB650 ever....LOL

Yup, fired up my orbital kinetic kill vehicle ;D

Re: 76 CB360, Of course...this sucks.

OK two weeks before the Thaw...
Yesterday found A broken stud.

Ive got left hand cobalt bits and square shaped straight flute extractors coming...amazon still promising tomorrow.

I have been soaking her in penetrant.

Picked up a 10mm stud and tap drill in case things dont go well... as I dont really expect em to.

tonight I started heating her up w the torch until the pen fluid started to bubble then drowning her in more pen fluid. Hoping to leech some up in there.

11494-020514193652-2162436.jpeg

after several times I got bored w that and center punched it.

11494-020514193652-2202234.jpeg

started w a 1.5mm drill about 1/4 inch deep.

Then stepped up to a 3/32 bit. And w the old lady standing over me watching the angles I drove her home...Close to an inch deep I hit aluminum and I dont think I broke through the side.

11494-020514193652-2212068.jpeg

Sticking the bit back in to the bottom and Looking at the angles I think I did all right. Comparing it to the other stud.

11494-020514193652-2222061.jpeg

Now at least I can get penetrant fluid all the way in there.

While I just wait til the left hand bits and extractors arrive.

Best luck man. What timing!

If you don't want to wait, you can get the bits overnight from McMaster-Carr. For some reason I was thinking you live near Chicago. If that's the case, you may be able to get them by 1pm if you order by 7am.

Foolishdreamer said:
Good luck!
Where do you have to go?

Sent from my brain using telepathy and Tapatalk

Kentucky, the Rust Revival, Spring Thaw.

Sounds like it should be OK now, once you get penetrating oil into the back of screw things generally go relatively smooth
Stepping up with left hand drill bits may well do the trick?

Yea, I'm hoping that thing will just walk out of there when you hit it with the left handed bit. Sheesh, what a pain!

Where is Rust Revival? It sounds interesting, and I live in KY...

Worst cb650 ever said:
Yea, I'm hoping that thing will just walk out of there when you hit it with the left handed bit. Sheesh, what a pain!
crazypj said:
Sounds like it should be OK now, once you get penetrating oil into the back of screw things generally go relatively smooth
Stepping up with left hand drill bits may well do the trick?

11494-030514043819.jpeg

Foolishdreamer said:
Where is Rust Revival? It sounds interesting, and I live in KY...

Well then, Im sorry to inform you, that you must not be in the "IN" crowd.

CIMG3072_zpsf8c30569.jpg

some pics from last years thread...

http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=44522.msg547990#msg547990

This years thread...

http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=54529.0

Good job trek and nice pictures to show the process. I've been lucky enough to not have to do this yet, but I'm sure its only a matter of time before I do if I continue working on these old bikes.

What idiot parked the Kawasaki there? ;D

The one who only had to fill up his tank once on a 480 mile trip :)

Dammit Trek!

I just wasted 15 mins. of my life trying to find a tshirt with that Johnny Quest design on it. Now I'm heartbroken and must soothe myself with rum. :mad:

Bad news. The left handed drills were grabby but didnt do it.

tapped the square extractors in and got good bites. But, they were simply little reamers and just peeled out the centers.

As my last ditch I tried the easy out and until I knew it was gonna snap and it didnt budge.

So, I ran the 8m tap drill in there. it was snap crackle and popping the whole time, binding up on bits of steel stud threads imbedded in the aluminum until I hit bottom. I ran the m8 tap in there but it was just to wollered out to be any good.

So I drilled it for the m10 tap. Then checked my m10 tap to the m10 stud I got. and they are two different threads. The tap is m10 x 1.50 and the stud is m10x1.25.

Uggg. I believe, this is the last straw. I am finished w this whole bike hobby thing.

trek97 said:
OK two weeks before the Thaw...
Yesterday found A broken stud.

Ive got left hand cobalt bits and square shaped straight flute extractors coming...amazon still promising tomorrow.

I have been soaking her in penetrant.

Picked up a 10mm stud and tap drill in case things dont go well... as I dont really expect em to.

tonight I started heating her up w the torch until the pen fluid started to bubble then drowning her in more pen fluid. Hoping to leech some up in there.

after several times I got bored w that and center punched it.

started w a 1.5mm drill about 1/4 inch deep.

Then stepped up to a 3/32 bit. And w the old lady standing over me watching the angles I drove her home...Close to an inch deep I hit aluminum and I dont think I broke through the side.

Sticking the bit back in to the bottom and Looking at the angles I think I did all right. Comparing it to the other stud.

Now at least I can get penetrant fluid all the way in there.

While I just wait til the left hand bits and extractors arrive.

That stinks.. and so this is where a welder comes in handy sometimes... theoretically you could carefully weld a smaller hex head bolt to the broken stud and then just unscrew it like normal. Unless it's broken off below the surface... then it would be tough to weld anything to the broken stud.

Back
Top Bottom