removable key switch

doc_rot

Oh the usual... I bowl, I drive around...
DTT SUPPORTER
DTT BOTM WINNER
I want to relocate the ignition switch to a more hidden part of the bike, but i don't want the keys bouncing around in that area banging stuff up, so id like a switch where the key can be removed in the "on" position. I found a couple on/off key switches that can do this but they are only rated to 3amps. All power is routed through the ignition switch on this bike so it needs to be at least a 20 amp switch. I don't care about retaining parking lights so a simple two pole switch is fine. I haven't been able to find a switch that meets these criteria, so i think I will run a relay with the switch. Any thoughts/suggestions? here is the switch I am looking at, and the wiring diagram.

https://www.parts-express.com/key-switch-spst-panel-mount-with-2-keys--060-215

Attachments

• 750 twin wiring diagram.png
    750 twin wiring diagram.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 232
When I did the custom wiring on my XS650, I started with an EMGO ignition switch but quickly ditched it and put it all on a toggle.

No key - just an on/off toggle switch for the whole bike. If someone wants it, a key isn't going to stop them.

Tim said:
When I did the custom wiring on my XS650, I started with an EMGO ignition switch but quickly ditched it and put it all on a toggle.

No key - just an on/off toggle switch for the whole bike. If someone wants it, a key isn't going to stop them.

I had thoughts of doing a similar thing. you can get 20a toggle switches all day long, and if its hidden I don't think anybody would even think to look for it.... hmmmm.

Hook up a relay on the ignition circuit and lights and then use your low current switch to activate them.

teazer said:
Hook up a relay on the ignition circuit and lights and then use your low current switch to activate them.

Like Tim, I just run a toggle switch (under the seat pan) for my café.

If you want to use the keyed switch, I second what teazer recommends. Adding a relay wouldn't be difficult.

Are you guys really not worried about theft? I've thought about a toggle switch as well, but I really don't need anyone stealing my stuff. I get the line of thinking that you can just put the bike on a truck and roll it away, but I don't know... Still makes me worry a bit.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using DO THE TON mobile app

I rode my chopper for quite awhile without a key. Just a rotary switch for coils, etc... and a toggle switch for lights hi/low. Starter "switch" is a hidden rubber covered jumper across the solenoid. Unless you saw me start it, most people wouldn't know how. I also carry a kryptonite cable lock in my bags for sketchy parking. The older (70's) style harley rotary switches work with or without a key.

I watched a video a few years back where these guys showed how easy and quick it was to steal a bike.
If you haven't saw it, its stupid fast and easy. 5 guys I think it was pull up in a van...4 of them get out with 2 metal pipes in hand. open the back doors as they get out.....slide the pipes through the wheels, lift and put it in the van...close the doors and gone...maybe 15 to 20 seconds tops...

Another thought Doc, most round key switches allow key removal.

"like" these:

https://www.jpcycles.com/product/3700021/j-p-cycles-round-key-ignition-switch

snmavridis said:
Are you guys really not worried about theft? I've thought about a toggle switch as well, but I really don't need anyone stealing my stuff. I get the line of thinking that you can just put the bike on a truck and roll it away, but I don't know... Still makes me worry a bit.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using DO THE TON mobile app

Anyone that knows anything about vintage motorcycles or stealing vintage motorcycles knows that it just takes two wires to start one. It's not about ease of putting them into a trailer. It's about how easy it is to get to the wiring and start a bike. A keyed fork lock or similar device is the better deterrent.

canyoncarver said:
Horse Thieves deserve to get hung!
Lol.

It's a kz750 twin so I'm not worried about professional theft. Really just need to deter opportunity theft which a ignition lock likely won't prevent. I usually roll with a small caliper lock under the seat. I think I will go the toggle switch route. Thanks fellas.

Locks only keep an honest man honest.........

Thieves are gonna steal it no matter what.

If you use a generic 20A toggle switch, make sure you isolate it from vibrations. I went through three over last summer when I had that set up mounted on a plate I welded to the frame.

Back
Top Bottom