Been a while... Tank Rust!

HD had both of these and a fresh box of 1/4 X 1 Nasty Lag Bolts HEHE... those will knock shit loose :eek:

Attachments

• _20150714_131006.JPG
    _20150714_131006.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 251
Following, plenty of tanks to treat in my shop too. I did the vinegar trick with one tank and it was ok/soso. I was thinking electrolysis also but now I'm thinking acid.

if you are going to stick bolts in there may I suggest a bunch of 3/8 or 1/2 inch nuts strung together on fishing line (easier to get out and can get into corners better than bolts

Also, to "seal" the freshly cleaned metal afterwards, a litre of gas with a heavy mix of 2 stroke oil, then slosh that around in the tank for a while and drain. All the tanks I have done that way were excellent afterwards

Kamn said:
if you are going to stick bolts in there may I suggest a bunch of 3/8 or 1/2 inch nuts strung together on fishing line (easier to get out and can get into corners better than bolts

Also, to "seal" the freshly cleaned metal afterwards, a litre of gas with a heavy mix of 2 stroke oil, then slosh that around in the tank for a while and drain. All the tanks I have done that way were excellent afterwards

Ahhh, but these are lag bolts with sharp pointy tornillo tips and "nuts" on the end for driving in!! Yup gas and oil, you are seconding the 2-smoke request so we'll go with it, I have some Motul drained from the GT550 I can use up!! gonna smell good burning also ::)

bolts look plated or galvanized. They will rob some of the chemical action from the de-rusting, but probably only from the first use as they likely will be bare after a long soak in the first solution. I use pea gravel myself, but admit it is a little annoying to shake out of the tank (but so are bolts). Works excellently though. I like a WD40 rinse as previously mentioned too as it actually removes rust. When you use the acid, if you rise with a neutralizing water solution, the tank will almost instantly surface rust. WD will take it off if you are quick. One way to dry quickly after water is to use alcohol, which is miscible in water and evaporates very quickly especially if helped by some compressed air. Some oily gas sloshed around sounds like a great idea - never felt like I needed it myself after some WD - but I would think any oil would be fine - don't see a requirement for it to be 2 cycle.

jpmobius said:
bolts look plated or galvanized. They will rob some of the chemical action from the de-rusting, but probably only from the first use as they likely will be bare after a long soak in the first solution. I use pea gravel myself, but admit it is a little annoying to shake out of the tank. Works excellently though.

Pre-soak the rattlers ;) a Magnet pulls the bolts out with some perseverance.

canyoncarver said:
Following, plenty of tanks to treat in my shop too. I did the vinegar trick with one tank and it was ok/soso. I was thinking electrolysis also but now I'm thinking acid.

Electrolysis will cause hydrogen embrittlement, which may or may not become an issue. Metal Rescue is still the best option if you're not following with a liner. That's just my practiced opinion, of course. Given time, vinegar will work as well as any acid.

For mechanical removal, I use rust-cutting resin abrasive. 5 lbs at Harbor Freight is $20. Put a couple pounds of it in the tank and tumble it in the dryer for an hour. It won't cut good metal. It should outperform the sack of hardware,

image_13869.jpg

jetmechmarty said:
Electrolysis will cause hydrogen embrittlement, which may or may not become an issue. Metal Rescue is still the best option if you're not following with a liner. That's just my practiced opinion, of course. Given time, vinegar will work as well as any acid.

For mechanical removal, I use rust-cutting resin abrasive. 5 lbs at Harbor Freight is $20. Put a couple pounds of it in the tank and tumble it in the dryer for an hour. It won't cut good metal. It should outperform the sack of hardware,

image_13869.jpg

An old used drier is a perfect tumbler... hell it's made for that sole purpose! just need to drill some holes in the batter fins and stretch bungee cords making a web to hold the tank :eek:

Tune-A-Fish said:
An old used drier is a perfect tumbler... hell it's made for that sole purpose! just need to drill some holes in the batter fins and stretch bungee cords making a web to hold the tank :eek:

I stuff the tank into an old sleeping bag, then pack the dryer full of pillows. It's too easy. Just be sure to run it with the heat off!

jetmechmarty said:
Just be sure to run it with the heat off!
It's funny you really do have to say that. Wait till classes start, teach. Common sense ain't so common.

The 3rd solution should be here today... One last question... how long do you soak this stuff and full strength or cut with anything??

Tune-A-Fish said:
The 3rd solution should be here today... One last question... how long do you soak this stuff and full strength or cut with anything??
Depends on the amount of rust. I usually check stuff in timed increments until I have a sense of effect. You'll notice something in an hour at full strength. I've never had to do a tank more than a few hours. I've taken a 1/3 to 1/2 gallon and sloshed it around, dumped out the excess into a bowl. Then go back in an hour and do it again. Repeat until gone.

Tune-A-Fish said:

3rd solution...? ? ? ? ?

Back
Top Bottom