'74 CL360 troubleshooting

john.leach1991@gmail.com

Been Around the Block
Hi everyone. I need some help.

I've been building up/restoring a 1974 Honda CL360 Scrambler.

Finally got it on the road yesterday, and I noticed two things:
1) after about 10 minutes of riding, it began to die at stoplights while idling. Is this a rectifier issue?

2) even wide open, it wouldn't rev very high or go above 45 mph.

The carbs are clean, and the valves were adjusted. Everything should be good to go?

Can anyone tell me where to begin?

Have you synchronized the carbs?

When it dies at idle, does it start right back up?

What is your standing battery voltage?

Intake/exhaust mods?

Rich Ard said:
Have you synchronized the carbs?

When it dies at idle, does it start right back up?

What is your standing battery voltage?

Intake/exhaust mods?

Carbs were synced. It starts right back up. I'll need to check the voltage. No exhaust mods.

Looks like the right side is not quite all the way in?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    997.6 KB · Views: 217
That's no good - and that plug is clean because the massive air leak resulting isn't allowing it to fire. Let's go back to carb syncing - would be difficult with one carb detached ;)

Loosen the clamps and shove the carbs back into place. They should feel like they snap or pop in, depending on the age of the boots that might take some force. Boots should bottom out against the carbs. Tighten the clamp enough to hold them in, they don't need to be squeezed too much.

Then you get to start tuning them again

Need more data. How did the bike ride for that 12 miles?

you said your sparkplug on the working side was black, black looks cool but is no good inside an engine. this means the bike is running too rich. try to get it a bit leaner but i can't believe that engine can consume a whole gastank of fuel in 12 miles.

sounds more like your carbs are overflowing and pissing fuel all over the place...

Could possibly drink a tank of gas if it is still running on one cylinder....

Back
Top Bottom