New Diaphragms Won't Start Now

TripleKing

Been Around the Block
As my slides would stick until warm and my diaphragms had the consistency of wet noodles, I installed brand new genuine Suzuki diaphragms in my 89 Kat 750 carbs. Now she won't start. I am getting fuel to the carbs and I am getting spark. In fact, she almost catches from time to time, but she will not run. I checked schematics and a youtube video and I seem to have everything right. Am I missing something? Is there an issue with replacement diaphragms? Please help me.

It was down to 1/4 tank. I added about a gallon to get to half a tank. Now if you cranks it for about 10 to 15 seconds it will let a LOUD backfire out of the right pipe. It would even start to catch. It just goes BOOM. This is frustrating because it ran fine (except for a little slide sticking/ diaphragm issue after sitting for a few days. Now, she just goes boom!

I'm not familiar with those carbs but is it possible that the slides are put in incorrectly (i.e. backwards?).

Diaphragms don't really come into play until after the RPMs go up. You should be able to idle the bike without the diaphragms or slides even in the carbs. Check other stuff.

I went through something similar on a katana I worked on for a friend about 2yrs ago....I tried everything, reset the throttle position sensor, took apart and cleaned the petcock, ulstrasonic cleaned the carbs, checked valve clearances, fresh oil and plugs, tested coils, checked for spark, EVERYTHING I could think of.......and I finally tried replacing the spark plug boots because I could see a tiny bit of white oxidation down on the contacts in them.....and that took care of it. It was the strangest thing. I've refused to ever affiliate with a Katana ever since because it was such a terrible experience trying to understand it.

Back
Top Bottom