CX500: ScrapMetal's CX500 Project

ScrapMetal

1979 Honda CX500C wanting to be something more
First off, hello, I'm new to this forum and it seems terrific!

OK, so I bought a Honda CX500C about 1.5 years ago, and have finally made it road worthy (and legal to ride). Now, of course, it is time to chop it up and go cafe racing! Well, not really, I'd just like to pose and enjoy a good twisty once in a while ;D

In the past year I have acquired (among other parts) a nice CX500 Deluxe tank and the whole front end off of a 1991 Honda CBR F2. I'd eventually like to switch back to the Comstar wheel, but baby steps. I also found a nice '79 CX500C to help make this all work. Here was my starting point:
AlltheKing_sHorses.jpg

Projectforkupgrade.jpg

And here I am today:
itemsforsalemore019.jpg

The good news is the motor seems to run fine, the carbs aren't terrible, and it should be rideable once again in about a month. The bad news is, I want to do so much I can't seem to stop myself from making this a simple project! :eek:

OK, well, opinions, pointers, etc. certainly welcomed.

Thanks,
ScrapMetal

Re: ScrapMetal's CX500 Project

That's a nice start, I sure like the CX/GL line, have 2 myself. Good luck on your build!

Andy

Whats your thoughts for exhaust?

The CX500 is in my top 10 bikes to own before I die, i will be following this build :)

Brapp,
You must be familiar with the new Chopper Charles Site then? What a great bunch of people, made it worth while to invest a little in repairing these old things.

Curtis,
Right now I'll be running stock Sportster can(s). Not sure if I'm going the single on the side (I have a MAC 2 - 1 already) or if I'll run duals up the side at an angle or even undertail. The plan right now is to place the battery in the Roc City tail. If that follows through, then I'll have to go exterior mount on the cans. Should I decide to mount the battery nearer the ground (by the engine) I can go undertail. I have two sets of cans, both Sportsters, but one is slash and one is tapered end.

The Chopper Charles site has loads of great information, just don't let their negativity on pod filters affect you!

Andy

Nah, I respect everyone's opinion, and know I will do what I want in the end. I'll give up 4 mpg for aesthetics ;) That being said, if I can't get it to run right, that air filter is going right back on!

Alright, a slight change of plans. I'm thinking of switching the CBR F2 forks and install some CB900F forks in their place. This would give me an easy Comstar front wheel and still allow dual discs. However, I have a few questions that maybe some of you can answer for me:

What are these things? Do they just slide off or will it require a little cutting?
20110509174029.jpg

Secondly, what is this caliper to? I thought it was a CB900F, but clearly it is not fitting my "new" forks.
20110509174001.jpg

And lastly (for now), why does only one fork have an air valve?
20110509174105.jpg

Projects, gotta love 'em!

The caliper looks like it'll work fine once you remove that extraneous bracket. A lot of Hondas used the same parts, so it could be off a lot of bikes. The air valve is only on one fork cap because there's supposed to be a hose connecting the two caps. And the first pic looks like the dust cover for the fork seals.

Thanks Two-Smoker! That explains alot.

Interesting project, keep up the good work. That front end should bolt up no problem. I'm running Triumph Bonneville 40mm forks, with Nissin two pot caliper and the All Balls bearing kit for the Honda allowed everything to bolt right up. I had to make my own bracket to mount the caliper as the Honda rotor was about 1" smaller in diameter.

Yeah, it did bolt on pretty readily. I too will be using the AllBalls kit. I just have it mocked up right now. I got the black brackets off the post with WD40 and a rubber mallet. I also had to remove and clean the stem (which is separate from the lower triples on this model). I pressed that back in the triples and then pressed a spacer on that.

Working on the brakes now. Between my 3 or 4 different brake sets I have I'm bound to find a match with all the calipers and brackets!!! Looks like the stock CX500C bracket with the stock CB900F caliper might do the trick. I'm using a GL500I wheel, which I see is the same part number as the CB900F, just had to buy a different axle.

Holy cow, I started this thread a year ago and now it is finally almost ready to post as a somewhat completed project!

I have found that while I had the correct wheel, I had the wrong spacer and axle, needed the CB900F parts to make everything work. So that is fixed.

Moved on to carb cleaning, relocating a bunch of stuff, and slapping on some Eurobars with bar end mirrors. Best mirrors I have ever used, and for $10 with shipping, how can they possibly be beat???

The biggest news I have is my new eye candy, , , about to get the tank and tail back from the painter tomorrow. Local guy that does some some pretty nice work. He sent me this text today, thought I'd share.

Now what to do about the padding?????

imagejpeg952_9.jpg

OK, just got the set back, here is a preview:

20120420170446.jpg

20120420170434.jpg

So had a little time to get the pieces mounted today. Worked on slash cut exhaust, I think that is going to really amp this build up too. I've posted a before and after so it appears that I've actually made some progress here. Next up, making the front rim the same as the rear, which may be an issue as the rear is steel and the front alum. May have to spray them to match, we'll see.

CX500RoadReady011.jpg

20120422162245.jpg

20120422162228.jpg

20120422162311.jpg

If you raise the rear tank mount an inch or so it would look much better IMO.

Yeah, I like the paint too ;)

I'm thinking you may be on to something with the rear of the tank, thanks!

Looking very smart, Like the rake of the silencer!
A couple of questions ....... what diameter rims are you running now?
And are you leaving the engine well alone?
I'm into OHV lumps, and my choice for something reliable for a future project seems to be a toss up between a CX or a BMW.

Back
Top Bottom