1971 Kawasaki G3SS 90cc

I purchased a new chain but it came in way to long so I'm going to have to remove some links. I have the original chain but wanted to replace since its a 42 year old chain.

I'm also considering putting different shocks on. Not sure how I feel about the gold since everything is green and black. Everything you seen that's green or black is powder coat. Even the smallest pieces. The guys at Gateway Powder Coating in St. Peters, MO are great. I'm in the St. Louis area.

Nice looking kawi, I really like the direction you're taking it. Congrats on the MB5 too, I have one as well, they are great bikes. Check out www.mb5web.com, you can find manuals for it there too.

Thanks. I've seen your mb5 build on a forum. Looks great. I was actually thinking about doing a fiberglass seat similar to yours. I've not worked with Fiberglas though so I'm not sure how that would go. Love the look of your mb5.

This is my brothers bike. His first ground up build. Turned out pretty good. We're both just getting into bike builds. He's more into the chopper/bobber/pro street style where I'm more into the cafe and vintage style. I'm getting a 1973 Kawasaki S2 350 this week. It's another project bike that I'll be working on in the future. If anyone needs amazing paintwork done my friend Brian Loker does superb works. He's been featured in many magazines and has done work for Jesse James. Has a website but can't think of it off the top of my head. He's in Owasso, Oklahoma.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    362.9 KB · Views: 236
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    498 KB · Views: 240
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    337.7 KB · Views: 222
1971G3SS said:
Thanks. I've seen your mb5 build on a forum. Looks great. I was actually thinking about doing a fiberglass seat similar to yours. I've not worked with Fiberglas though so I'm not sure how that would go. Love the look of your mb5.

Thanks man. Fiberglass is pretty easy and forgiving to work with, give it a try if you get a chance.

Last piece being cleaned and powder coated. I should have the g3 running by this weekend.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    379 KB · Views: 228
Thanks. I've got some more work to do. I'm going to build my own seat fairing and expansion chamber exhaust. I'll be posting progress pics of those builds

I'm not sure how his will be but I cut an opening in the carb cover and installed this filter to help improve the airflow. The stock air intake doesn't look to optimal in aiding much air. I do have another carb cover that has been painted and it does not have the opening in it so I can always replace if this doesn't help. This is a rotary valve engine so I'm not all that familiar with its performance. I'm going to play with it and tweak it to see if any extra power can be gotten out of it once its running. I'm not expecting much from it since its only a 90cc single cylinder. This build is not intended to be a speed machine. Just a fun little bike.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    473.9 KB · Views: 266
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    510.7 KB · Views: 270
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    563.3 KB · Views: 287
Going to run the carb through the ultrasonic cleaner

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    489.3 KB · Views: 261
I'm getting the last of the wiring hooked up. I've got the engine put back together except for the flywheel. Somehow the threads on the crankshaft are messed up and I can't get the 10mm nut threaded. I've tried using the thread dies but no luck. New piston installed. I'll be doing a compression test tomorrow so hopefully I'll have it running by this weekend. I've also noticed that my front wheel is misaligned with my handlebars and headlight. Does anyone have a suggestion on how to fix this and the threaded problem?

1971 Kawasaki G3SS 90cc

SurferMO said:
I'm getting the last of the wiring hooked up. I've got the engine put back together except for the flywheel. Somehow the threads on the crankshaft are messed up and I can't get the 10mm nut threaded. I've tried using the thread dies but no luck. New piston installed. I'll be doing a compression test tomorrow so hopefully I'll have it running by this weekend. I've also noticed that my front wheel is misaligned with my handlebars and headlight. Does anyone have a suggestion on how to fix this and the threaded problem?

Any chance you can chase the dinged up thread with a small 3 corner file? That has worked for me in a few places I could not really get a die on.

Reviving this old thread... How did the bike turn out? Do you have any pics of the final product? Just read through this and thought it was cool. I was expecting to see someone struggling through some basic updates to the bike and you blew me away with how in-depth you got with the dissassembly.

Thanks. Yeah I need to update this with some finished pictures. I'll add some pictures soon. Thanks for the interest. Fun little bike

Joining in a little late but want to see how this turned out. I just happen to have a pair of these little buggers in the back corner of the Shop patiently waiting for some attention...Yours is the first one I have seen here.

Almost finished with the bike. Got the seat finished and installed

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    209.7 KB · Views: 513
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    202.1 KB · Views: 509
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    197.6 KB · Views: 294
Looks really nice. Clean. I like the green stitching on the seat. Did you change the electronics at all to upgrade from 6v to 12 v?

SurferMO
I also have come in on this topic late. Nice bike you have there.
Co-incidentally, I am in the middle of a nut and bolt restoration of a 100cc Kawasaki desert racer, based around the legendary G31M motor - very similar to your G3SS motor.
If you need assistance on anything, including making the motor faster, I have buckets of information for you.
Regards
David

SurferMO said:
I'm not sure how his will be but I cut an opening in the carb cover and installed this filter to help improve the airflow. The stock air intake doesn't look to optimal in aiding much air. I do have another carb cover that has been painted and it does not have the opening in it so I can always replace if this doesn't help. This is a rotary valve engine so I'm not all that familiar with its performance. I'm going to play with it and tweak it to see if any extra power can be gotten out of it once its running. I'm not expecting much from it since its only a 90cc single cylinder. This build is not intended to be a speed machine. Just a fun little bike.

Back
Top Bottom