72 CL100, Piglet

Re: Rachels 72 CL100, seal tank

rinsed tank about 5 times then 5 more w hot water. Pulled petcock off, Now heating w lamp and drawing air through/creating turbulence w vacuum. Letting this run for 10, heat alone for 10, hair dryer 10, heat 10 then maybe vac again...til Im absolutely convinced its bone dry.

11494-310715214237.jpeg

Re: Rachels 72 CL100, seal tank

Ok its 11:00pm Im tired. I dont know what I was expecting. But I was floored when I opened that can and it was metallic silver. I dont know why I would even care. But I guess I was expecting black like tar.

11494-310715230650.jpeg

the whole process took 5 hours and I didnt do much screwing around.

So now just "atleast 96" hours to cure. :p

Im goin to bed.

Rachels CL100, BAD ASS METAL SCULPTURE

Ok in garage working on making the headlight LED for the 100...

I get a text from my buddy Tim Summerville. (He hammered out my alum seat pan for 360.)

DUDE SENDS HIS LATEST MASTERPIECE...

1/4 inch steel rods. cut, bent, welded and ground to make...

FULL SIZE MAN W A BIG SPEAR!!! HOW BAD ASS IS THIS ???

11494-010815152504.jpeg

I texted back. "I need a pair of these for the end of my driveway."

Then I receive the another text...

THE BAD ASS FREAKIN SPEAR MAN IS THE COMPANION SCULPTURE TO THIS...

FULL SIZE MAN AND A FRIGGIN MAMMOTH !!!!

11494-010815153540.jpeg

I NEED ONE OF THOSE TO PUT ON THE ROOF OF MY HOUSE!!!!

Tim is on-site setting them up right now!

Re: Rachels CL100, BAD ASS METAL SCULPTURE

Damn! those sculptures are so epic!

I was surprised too to see that stuff is metallic silver. Looks as good inside as it does outside

It would be cool if he lets that mammoth patina.

I tried calling him but signals were crap. All I could do was a bit of texting. I think it was a conglomeration. Tim made the man another artist made the mammoth. Its for a nature preserve or something like that, somewhere.

Looks to me like they are gonna sit out in the weather and rust. and then it will be awesome looking.

whatever they do they will still be cool as hell.

Oh yeah, cool as they stand now. But all rusty will make that mammoth come alive.

Working on homespun LED headlight conversion

Got a cheapy "stock styled" headlamp on ebay, lens and chrome bezel are a proper fit into my housing.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Honda-CB100-CL100-SL100-XL100-CB125-S-CL125-S-Headlight-Rim-Ring-Bucket-Case-/350938918569?hash=item51b596eea9&vxp=mtr

The beauty of it is, it fully disassembles. Plastic lens seperate from metal chrome reflector and a removable 6v bulb.

gonna try same led I used in the rest of system.

11494-020815093641.jpeg

The led body is a nice fit in the hole (no cutting required) just find a way to attach it. 2 #4 screws w modified flat washers should work nice.
11494-020815093414-14667.jpeg

11494-020815093414-14671848.jpeg

Currently experimenting w different diffusers/reflector. to get best light without blinding oncoming traffic.

I cut a silver plastic christmas ball. Its round and shiny and sitting in a box in the basement. ;) I did look at small, self adhesive convex "real" mirrors (kind you stick on your cars sideveiw mirrors) for a bit...but they were all too large at about 2 inch diameter.

11494-020815093414-1465981.jpeg

tried taping that to lens to reflect light back towards reflector and blocking direct light from blinding people....Hmmm not impressed.

Removed it and now trying different diffusers fixed directly over led lens...not too bad. But more to come.

took a bunch of trials w different material, sizes and setups.

11494-020815115630-146867.jpeg

But here is what I settling on. Diffuser is the bottom out of the Prairie Farms Ice Cream bucket we moved it outside in the full sun to let the wife give her two cents and she was pretty happy with it.

11494-020815115630-1470952.jpeg

Got a really nice glow about it.

11494-020815115630-14721142.jpeg

Oops wrong headlights!!!

Here ya go.

11494-020815115630-14711083.jpeg

I have the same headlight in a box. It looks like you cut a stock indicator apart. What bulb did you use in it. I might give ie a try.

Re: Rachels CL100, homespun headlamp

45exmayor said:
I have the same headlight in a box. It looks like you cut a stock indicator apart. What bulb did you use in it. I might give ie a try.

DISCLAIMER: ;) With diffuser its definitely NOT SUITABLE for night riding. Nor does it offer High/Low beam.

Looks like he raised the price per pair. $ :p Still less expensive and much brighter than Harrison specialties. But, here they are. They say 12v but they sure work well w 6v.
Ive got them in turns and tail/brake...& now headlight too. I used diffusers in all of them.

I had to make new mounting plates inside turn housings. to hold leds. Pic shows 2 installed, currently only got the one light inside each turn. But plan to do two lights in each once I "find" enough power to use them. I also removed the covers off them and installed a diffuser in each (similar to headlight setup)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/180758133079?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

11494-200615191511-12632058.jpeg

Get one of those reflectors that they use on the halogens, that sends the light back to the stock headlamp reflector, then it will beam out and have a better spread. You could also finagle a projector lens that will spread the beam. Also, you do know that Harrison specialties sells the replacement LED's for $8.50, right? That totals $17/pair (vs $29.99 for the snowmobile lamps) and you don't have to go through all of that shit to retrofit them.

As far as mounting mediums, go to a glass shop that also sells plexi glass. They usually have a scrap cutoff bin that offers pieces for next to nothing.

yea but you know the harrison specialties are super quality. Ive had em on the 360 since day 1 & havent lost any yet. But not even half as bright as these snowmobile lights. Also, dealing w the wife...she wants them BRIGHT as humanly possible. And when she follows me in her car, she nags me about the Harrison Specialties not being bright enough.

Also thats the reason for the xmas bulb. I tried that as a reflector to shine back into the headlights reflector. It worked ok. But, not as good as the plastic disc. And this is just gonna get me by til winter. Im converting to 12v then a real headlight is going on this thing. And I had this led just sitting here. SO....

OK after deviant got me thinking about the "chrome" reflector I did some more thinking on the thing. Looks like I didnt have the proper distance set up for the optimal focal point of the reflector. I might do a bit more experimentation w the reflector making adjustments to find the sweet spot.

Argh I thought I was done w this...darn that deviant. ;)

Re: Rachels CL100, Aargh! Dead bike!

I filled the tank w gas, assembled headlight. Fired her up and took off down the road to the stop sign...bout a mile. Turned her around...1st, 2nd, 3rd...DIED. Coasted to a stop. All lights working. Neutral light shining bright.

Kick, Kick, Kick...pushed her home...up the long damn hill. Thank god the thing is practically weightless.

No spark. New plug...no spark, 6.1v to the coil, point makes and breaks. NO SPARK.

Ill start checking all connections and timing in the morning. Uugh!

:mad:

You sure that's not an XL100? Sounds like my XL175. The harness likes to develop a loose connection right at the neck that left me dead more than once.

Re: Rachels CL100, DEAD, No spark

Well, I guess condenser / coil is bad. Ugh. any one have a simple test for them. The coil reads 1.8 ohms. I dont know if I can read the other winding through the spark plug wire? To what?

and the condenser I flat out dont know how to test that? With just a fluke meter. The manual shows tests but they have some kind of space aged japanese equipment.

I got a solid 6.1 volt to the coil. Lights work, and neutral light works. Ugh

I dont think I have an old 360 condensor, Ill start digging.

Will ANY condensor work w this single cylinder 6v system?

I understand looks can be deceiving. Original coil still looks brand new...no discolor, dont look like it got hot, nothing dripping out of it. dont smell "hot" nothing. blue and black wire windings read 1.8ohms.

OK did a search and found matts bench test for a coil...

http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=44556.msg679448#msg679448

IT WORKS, I got spark at the plug.

So kinda starting to look like the condensor...so far.

I cleaned condenser body, to ensure ground to frame. No luck no spark.

ordered a condenser from Honda. fingers crossed. Otherwise Im thinking it must be a flakey coil. :p

Back
Top Bottom