76 CB360, Cherry Bomb at Barber's

Re: 76 CB360, before & after

fatherjon said:
RIGHT!? so sick!
YES!!! maybe I need to find an old MGB GT and toss the 360 engine in that!!! Anyone know where i can pick one of those up?

fatherjon said:
you oughta build one of these! they are homemade gokarts with motorcycle motors made to look like 1920's gp racers. i want one SOO bad.
cyclekarts.com
smtex706me1.jpg

smtex706B3.jpg

smtex706me3.jpg

Alright.......is there a forum for these things because I am digging those! I need info!!

trek97 said:
YES!!! maybe I need to find an old MGB GT and toss the 360 engine in that!!! Anyone know where i can pick one of those up?
ouch.. :-\

fatherjon said:
ouch.. :-\
LOL. Sorry baby. Couldnt resist. believe me. I am just sitting tight, waiting for the day some random dude pulls a 1969 Hemi Challenger convertible in my drive...asking me to trade even up.

photo21.jpg

I'll take TWO of these please, one in green

1971-hemi-cuda-main.jpg

The other in white

images

Green one is mine, white one is the wife's ;) ;D

My wife would have to pass some kind of test before I let her come within 50 feet of any of those.

And the bike starts and runs perfect...AGAIN. LOL

Functional Rotor
fresh starter
New battery.

Thanks a ton to everyone who participated.

Such is the life of owning and running vintage junk! ;D Mines down right now for a bad regulator in the charging system, guess they don't like being run for a few miles with the battery cable unhooked. :eek: I THINK I fried it since everything else checks out good. ::) OH well off to eBay.

frogman said:
Such is the life of owning and running vintage junk! ;D Mines down right now for a bad regulator in the charging system, guess they don't like being run for a few miles with the battery cable unhooked. :eek: I THINK I fried it since everything else checks out good. ::) OH well off to eBay.
Well, that sucks. I understand Ive drivin old vehicles my whole life...One might think it would eventually get less frustrating...but it dont.
Im starting to get excited for Barber...Are you gonna get down there frogman?
OH, and my hemi challenger would blow the doors off either one of your hemi cudas.

what type of wife test like carrying a cup of oil across a balance beam without spilling.

Good deal... Now gotta get mine running so that we can get together in Chambana for some 360 chat and a photo op. Gonna try to her done before the end if next month.

axeugene27 said:
what type of wife test like carrying a cup of oil across a balance beam without spilling.
Yes...WITHOUT USING HER HANDS, while she recites the evolutionary history of Mopar muscle cars.

glass.jpg

Re: 76 CB360, POR-15 customer service, PISSED ME OFF.

One reason I really dont like people.
Searching for the ultimate paint that will stick to an air cooled aluminum motorcycle engine. I came across a product from POR-15. I have never used any POR-15 products, but I know guys who have, with great success. They swear by every product. That in itself gives me tons of confidence that their stuff is good enough for me.
But still I had a question about the POR-15 self etching primer. So, a quick and simple email to POR-15 customer service. Here is how it went. copied and pasted exactly as I received it. I did highlight some key points.

I wrote,

Painting my air cooled aluminum motorcycle engine. Temps get over 300 degrees. Is the POR 15 self etching spray can primer capable of withstanding that kind of heat? OR, can you tell me what kinds of temp this primer can withstand? I will top coat w VHT Engine enamel and VHT engine gloss clear coat.
> thankyou very much for your time.
> Eric Koester

reply...

Eric, I don't think you should have any problems painting the engine. I would still use Marine Clean and Prep and Ready to properly clean and prep the surface. Any further questions let us know. Thanks, Mike
>
> Michael A. Albrecht
> Vice President, Sales
> POR-15, Inc.
> Po Box 1235
> Morristown, NJ 07962

Hmmm...The Vice President of Sales, Doesn't "THINK" I would have any problems.

I wrote back...

Thankyou for your quick response.
So, I should accept your answer as an assumption, and that you have no idea whether or not it will be suitable for my project. I could have just asked my 16 year old daughter. If I wanted to hear "I don't think you should have any problems"

Thanks for nothing
Eric
Koester

Response....This time, from a different guy.

Eric,

I see how the conversation you were having with Michael was going and I thought that I could perhaps lend a helping hand. I think what Michael was trying to tell you was the best way to going about painting your engine is to use the Marine Clean, Prep & Ready, and the POR-15. This will ensure that your engine will not rust or corrode. Then you could apply whatever coating you wish over the POR-15 when the POR was still slightly tacky.

But to actually answer your question on whether or not the self-etching primer will withstand those type of engine temperatures, it will not.

Mark Kanya
POR-15 Inc.
P:800-457-6715
F:973-887-8007
email: mkanya@por15.com

Just putting this post together has me pissed off again.
Thanks POR-15

I wouldn't use anything that isn't directly advertised as high heat engine primer. Was it?

Honestly, I'm inclined to believe the fewer the coats the better, the stuff will act like insulation holding the heat in.

I go with enough coats to cover and stop.

axeugene27 said:
I wouldn't use anything that isn't directly advertised as high heat engine primer. Was it?
I did a search for "high temp, self etching primer" and thats when the por-15 stuff popped up. reading the product description, it didnt state either way...thats what prompted me to send them my question.

frogman said:
Honestly, I'm inclined to believe the fewer the coats the better, the stuff will act like insulation holding the heat in.

I go with enough coats to cover and stop.

I am really impressed w the VHT engine primer, paint and clear coat. It lasted almost 2 seasons, still looking great, with only minimal chips. Caused by me using tools on it, and absolutely no flaking. Before I stripped it.
I was simply curious to try a "self etching" product this time. And I know POR-15 has a good reputation for offering quality stuff.
After I got the engine primed this go round. I found an old bottle of "metal etcher" I forgot I had. so I did strip the points cover and treated it. Ill see if the primer sticks to it better than the rest of engine. Next time Ill be sure to etch the whole engine.

Re: 76 CB360, Help. gap in carb insulator

Any suggestions for something that can withstand gas?
The insulators are pretty new...last summer maybe...the gaskets are a month old.
maybe a little honda bond? Or just good old silicone?

I did have it a little too tight...It closed up once I loosened the bolts...but they are too loose to trust.

daylight.jpg

That is what happens when they are too tight - they bow. The correct answer is to replace them with new. One possible "fix" is a gasket coated on both sides with a thin layer of 3 bond gasket goo. You might be lucky. And loctite the screws.

A cautionary tale for all of us. Check the torque requirement on 6mm bolts and you will find it's MUCH less tight than you imagine it to be.

Yep they were a little over tight but not too much. So, yes be careful. Overtight will crush the gasket on its ends warping the insulator.
Pj, made a suggestion. File it smooth. so, thats what I did. Using my biggest course file. I was able to get. And thankfully I had a couple new gaskets stashed away. I am gonna brush a very thin layer of hondabond between insulator and gasket. Call it good.

insulators.jpg

Back
Top Bottom