Best entry level welder for fab?

CaferacerMO

Been Around the Block
Hey guys, I know this is a super broad question but I am looking to purchase my first welder. My budget is 300 bucks, and from what I've read im leaning towards mig, but given my budget what would be the best welder for me to get? I'll be using it for motorcycle fab.. Frame work, that kinda stuff.
I'm a freshman in college and actually am only taking 12 hours next semester, so am actually seperately enrolling in welding classes at the tech school in town next semester too. Thanks for the help y'all.

I like the little Lincoln handy mig 140 I have but you need to add a few dollars

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You need to save up a couple more Benjamins, and get one of the entry level Miller, Lincoln, or Hobarts.

I agree, a nice entry level miller, Lincoln, or Hobart would be a good welder but would be a little more than the $300 limit. I was in your shoes three years ago and bought a Longevity Migweld 140, I think I paid about $350 for it and it has been a nice welder for the money, good build quality and no issues. Keep in mind for GMAW you will need a shielding gas tank and those can be expensive extras. My Migweld is just set up as a FCAW so I do not need to worry about a gas bottle, it is good for high (compared to GMAW) penetration but not too good for thin metals like we find on a lot of motorcycle fab. GMAW and FCAW are nice because they do not require a lot of skill to use.

If you are not set on GMAW, I would probably suggest getting a nice oxy-fuel welding set up, it takes more skill to use but is EXTREMELY versatile, makes good quality welds, you can braze, cut, solder, weld aluminum (probably use propylene instead of acetylene), and weld anywhere even without a power outlet. PLus you will lean good ahnd skills for future welding, especially TIG. I have mine and have no plans of selling it, I have Purox regulators, 3/8 50' hose, Purox cutting torch, Victor HD welding torch and an Airco aircrafter torch. For your budget, you can probably find a nice used set up.

Completey ignore any 120v welder.

The Harbor Freight MIG180 is an excellent entry level machine. To hell with the haters. They have probably never used one and have no idea how well it works. $289 with a coupon. Avoid the MIG170 simply because the 180 is that much better. Best feed consistency and power delivery of any HF welder by far.

I would look on CL and find a lightly used Lincoln for little more than you will pay for a cheap inferior machine. My neighbor was looking to do the same thing a few months back. It took me about 5 minutes to find him a NICE Lincoln 135 set up for gas. I think he ended up paying $350 for it with some extras thrown in.

From what I remember there were several for sale. A lot of these were sold over the years and peoples situations change and they get put up for sale often.

Good idea, Powder.

Tune posted a CL ad a while back for a Millermatic for $500.

Thoughts on this?

http://m.harborfreight.com/180-amp-dc-240-volt-migflux-cored-welder-68886.html?utm_referrer=direct%2Fnot%20provided

And what's the major different between this and the 170 amp? Because it's 100 bucks cheaper

Not trying to argue with anyone here, but In my opinion, go for a gas shielded mig and not Flux core only. You'll be happy you did in the long run. Also, it's a bummer garage sale season is over. I've seen some pretty good buys at garage sales and estate sales.

Don't be afraid to buy used IF you can see the owner strike an arc with it. I've never owned a HF welder, but I have heard about garage enthusiasts that are happy with them. The only thing is to make sure that you can buy consumables with ease (contact tips, nozzles ect.) That's why I recommend a name brand as well.

Another important thing to remember is personal protective equipment. Don't be afraid of a $20 fixed shade flip hood, but if you are dead set at $300, you'll need to buy at least a little gear which can take some funds.

As far as learning to weld, it's all about hood time, but check out weldingtipsandtricks.com

That site is a great resource for welders, new and old alike.

I've been running a Hobart Handler 140 for about 6 years now. It's has handled every job I've thrown at it. 110v/20 amp outlet and industrial mix gas. It's made by Miller and uses a Miller gun. Seems like it's right in the middle price-wise, but the quality and customer service that comes with it exceeds the price. I love it.

hurco550 said:
Not trying to argue with anyone here, but In my opinion, go for a gas shielded mig and not Flux core only. You'll be happy you did in the long run. Also, it's a bummer garage sale season is over. I've seen some pretty good buys at garage sales and estate sales.

Don't be afraid to buy used IF you can see the owner strike an arc with it. I've never owned a HF welder, but I have heard about garage enthusiasts that are happy with them. The only thing is to make sure that you can buy consumables with ease (contact tips, nozzles ect.) That's why I recommend a name brand as well.

Another important thing to remember is personal protective equipment. Don't be afraid of a $20 fixed shade flip hood, but if you are dead set at $300, you'll need to buy at least a little gear which can take some funds.

As far as learning to weld, it's all about hood time, but check out weldingtipsandtricks.com

That site is a great resource for welders, new and old alike.

I definitely agree with hurco, you will be much happier with a full gas shielded MIG set up rather than flux core. I would look for a used name brand machine on craigslist or estate sales too, one that already comes with a gas bottle, because getting the gas bottle with any new machine will throw you over your $300 limit. Still dont throw out the idea of a oxy-acetylene welding set up instead of MIG, at your budget it would probably be the most useful thing that will grow with you.

CaferacerMO said:
Thoughts on this?

http://m.harborfreight.com/180-amp-dc-240-volt-migflux-cored-welder-68886.html?utm_referrer=direct%2Fnot%20provided

And what's the major different between this and the 170 amp? Because it's 100 bucks cheaper
Seriously?

What am I, chopped liver?

DohcBikes said:
The Harbor Freight MIG180 is an excellent entry level machine. To hell with the haters. They have probably never used one and have no idea how well it works. $289 with a coupon. Avoid the MIG170 simply because the 180 is that much better. Best feed consistency and power delivery of any HF welder by far.

I will add that I have owned both, so I am speaking from experience.

Get a 4wheeler magazine and look for the coupon, the magazine coupons beat even the inside track club discounts by far.

As far as consumables go they are interchangeable with major brands.

luke000 said:
I definitely agree with hurco, you will be much happier with a full gas shielded MIG set up rather than flux core. I would look for a used name brand machine on craigslist or estate sales too, one that already comes with a gas bottle, because getting the gas bottle with any new machine will throw you over your $300 limit. Still dont throw out the idea of a oxy-acetylene welding set up instead of MIG, at your budget it would probably be the most useful thing that will grow with you.
Good advice, but, if you look to buy one with a bottle, make damn sure you have the paperwork on the bottle. Otherwise, it is more or less a big paperweight.

J-Rod10 said:
Good advice, but, if you look to buy one with a bottle, make damn sure you have the paperwork on the bottle. Otherwise, it is more or less a big paperweight.
Why? I've never had an issue. AirGas has never cared where the bottle came from, as long as it's a good bottle.

You haven't gotten the "wrong guy" there then. They have to be certified every so many years. Do you rent your bottle or own it? If you rent and exchange, the cert is on them.

luke000 said:
Still dont throw out the idea of a oxy-acetylene welding set up instead of MIG, at your budget it would probably be the most useful thing that will grow with you.
Agreed, and this would be a "down the road" investment. They are worth every penny IMHO.

https://www.google.com/search?q=cobra+torch&sa=X&biw=360&bih=264&tbs=vw:l&tbm=shop&prmd=svin&srpd=6455406931566241838&prds=of:1,num:1&ved=0ahUKEwj8merKk_jJAhXEMj4KHSSzCpYQgjYI3gMwAA&ei=n899VrzOOsTl-AGk5qqwCQ

hurco550 said:
You haven't gotten the "wrong guy" there then. They have to be certified every so many years. Do you rent your bottle or own it? If you rent and exchange, the cert is on them.
I exchange bottles. They don't refill them and give them back. Is that the same as renting?

I do both MIG and O/A. I can do most anything people use TIG for with O/A. Now that TIGs have come down in price, I might actually get one. In the past, I always relied on work TIGs because I didn't have the money to buy one myself. Especially the water-cooled variety.

hurco550 said:
https://www.google.com/search?q=cobra+torch&sa=X&biw=360&bih=264&tbs=vw:l&tbm=shop&prmd=svin&srpd=6455406931566241838&prds=of:1,num:1&ved=0ahUKEwj8merKk_jJAhXEMj4KHSSzCpYQgjYI3gMwAA&ei=n899VrzOOsTl-AGk5qqwCQ
Funny, we were chatting about one of these. They show up on eBay used for around $200 now and again.

I bought a cheap welding set off ebay plus bottles and that it a good set up for me. Now I have a TIG on order because somethings are better TIG welded.

deviant said:
Why? I've never had an issue. AirGas has never cared where the bottle came from, as long as it's a good bottle.
My Air Gas will not touch a bottle that 1. Is not theirs. 2. Does not have paperwork.

The local Welsco is the same.

Back
Top Bottom